RS200 MK3 - Ticking Noise with Revs

Hi All,

I became the proud owner of a Clio RS200 CUP MK3 last weekend.

I'm still becoming familiar as to how she drives, the clutch, steering and the 'normal' car sounds. I've noticed that there is a 'ticking' noise which I've become slightly concerned about.

It's had a full service recently (oil, plugs, filters etc).

There's a receipt for the belts being done within the last few years.

The sound originates from the LH side of the engine bay and It's very noticeable from within the cabin/drivers seat.
  • It rises with the revs up to a point (then it's hard to tell if it's still there or not) but it's not all that loud
It's not the common dephaser sound, any thoughts or suggestions? I've seen discussions about the VVT Pulley, Injectors, Exhaust Manifold etc.

Hi All,

I became the proud owner of a Clio RS200 CUP MK3 last weekend.

I'm still becoming familiar as to how she drives, the clutch, steering and the 'normal' car sounds. I've noticed that there is a 'ticking' noise which I've become slightly concerned about.

It's had a full service recently (oil, plugs, filters etc).

There's a receipt for the belts being done within the last few years.

The sound originates from the LH side of the engine bay and It's very noticeable from within the cabin/drivers seat.
  • It rises with the revs up to a point (then it's hard to tell if it's still there or not) but it's not all that loud
It's not the common dephaser sound, any thoughts or suggestions? I've seen discussions about the VVT Pulley, Injectors, Exhaust Manifold etc.

I'd have a guess at the exhaust manifold as mine has the same noise and that's what mine was diagnosed as.

I don't notice it too much in the winter but during the Summer with the windows down I would definitely describe it as a ticking noise until the revs build and the exhaust drowns it out.

Mine has been like it for a while now and hasn't got any worse, but it would be worth getting checked out just in case it's something else.

I'd have a guess at the exhaust manifold as mine has the same noise and that's what mine was diagnosed as.

I don't notice it too much in the winter but during the Summer with the windows down I would definitely describe it as a ticking noise until the revs build and the exhaust drowns it out.

Mine has been like it for a while now and hasn't got any worse, but it would be worth getting checked out just in case it's something else.

Hi Matt,

Thank you for the info! I don't think it's very noticeable on idle, once you rev you can hearing it ticking in sync with the revs and eventually after 3k RPM it goes (I just think the exhaust note and engine drown it out).

I don't notice any immediate issues when driving it, better safe than sorry though. Do you know where you manifold failed? Perhaps on the welds?

Hi Matt,

Thank you for the info! I don't think it's very noticeable on idle, once you rev you can hearing it ticking in sync with the revs and eventually after 3k RPM it goes (I just think the exhaust note and engine drown it out).

I don't notice any immediate issues when driving it, better safe than sorry though. Do you know where you manifold failed? Perhaps on the welds?

Not a problem. Yes mine is the same, I noticed it most going through a McDonald’s drive thru at low revs and it echoed off the wall. As you say it’s barely noticeable at idle or higher revs.

Mine has been like it for quite a few months now and hasn’t caused any issues when driving - Just the slightly irritating noise.

When we looked at mine it was starting to fail/crack at the welds which is common. We couldn’t notice anything on the flexis which usually fail and there was no blowing just the ticking noise so I have left mine for now and has been fine.

I have a spare broken OEM manifold that I will get repaired and fit on the car when I get chance - But with it being quite expensive, I haven’t got round to it yet.

Reactions: EvoClio
Not a problem. Yes mine is the same, I noticed it most going through a McDonald’s drive thru at low revs and it echoed off the wall. As you say it’s barely noticeable at idle or higher revs.

Mine has been like it for quite a few months now and hasn’t caused any issues when driving - Just the slightly irritating noise.

When we looked at mine it was starting to fail/crack at the welds which is common. We couldn’t notice anything on the flexis which usually fail and there was no blowing just the ticking noise so I have left mine for now and has been fine.

I have a spare broken OEM manifold that I will get repaired and fit on the car when I get chance - But with it being quite expensive, I haven’t got round to it yet.

Sounds exactly as you've described and irritating indeed! I'll check over the exhaust system and see if I can at least pin point if it's definitely the point of failure. I'll go from there, I planned to get a new exhaust in the near future anyway.

Well, today things have escalated. Car started with an EML 'Check Emissions', killed the ignition and started her up again, it bogged and struggled but kicked back in to life.

I presume the EML is in correlation to the ticking noise I reported a few days ago. I'm thinking... Manifold *sigh*.

51068993_2284884205082445_248465120793985024_n.jpg

My 200 has been making similar ticking noises in time with revs the past couple of days too. Only noticed it when I opened the bonnet up and heard it on off-side of engine (left hand as you look down into engine bay). Sounds quite tappety and you can't really hear it from cabin like you can.

My flexis look a bit black on the edges too.

Attachments

• IMG_20190207_164547.jpg
    IMG_20190207_164547.jpg
    2.8 MB · Views: 25
Reactions: EvoClio
My 200 has been making similar ticking noises in time with revs the past couple of days too. Only noticed it when I opened the bonnet up and heard it on off-side of engine (left hand as you look down into engine bay). Sounds quite tappety and you can't really hear it from cabin like you can.

My flexis look a bit black on the edges too.

Morning rcwsr, mine is quite distinctive from in the car and recently threw up an EML.

2000 revs seems to be where it's noticeable - is this the same for you?

I'll check out my flexi's and manifold welds to see if I can spot anything.

To be honest it's mostly noticable at idle, I might be being paranoid though and it be a completely normal noise. Going to do an oil change just to rule it out.

Sounds daft but its not running on 3 cylinders is it? Coilpacks and plugs can go, the first cylinder plug (closest to torque mount side/offside) can get water pooling in and around the cylinder due to split windscreen washer pipes.