RS performance stud and spacer help

Hi,

Firstly merry Xmas!!!!

I have been searching the net as you do for weeks now trying to find help/information/advice/opinions on a stud conversion I am planning on doing

I own a Renault RS Clio 4 Trophy, I live in wales I do not plan on tracking it very much if at all the reason for the conversion is because I am installing the anniversary body kit to the car so I need to run rear spacers 12mm and front spacers 18mm

Now the body kit is is obviously Renault RS performance, Also the stud conversion kit + spacer is also made by Renault RS performance and what seems to be good quality.

https://rsc.oreca-store.com/fr/wheel-spacer-and-stud-kit-for-clio-iv-r-s-rspkegc200220.html

The 2 things I am trying to find out is in the installation guide you will see at step 8 it clearly states torque the stud to 80nm is this not excessive? Every other company that seems to make a kit like this one states to torque to 25-30 ft lbs which is around 55nm why would this be so different? The second thing is would there be any reason these wouldn't be good for normal road use by my wife that drives very conservatively? And not that many miles?

Thanks

If it were me the kit provided direct is non road use competition only and says for the Turni only rims If you driving the car every day and not swapping wheels all the time I would go for an Eibach, H&R or a road legal kit with standard bolts and keep the extra money, they give you all the info 18mm and 12mm spacers. But if the standard rims are different offset and width you will have to compensate with the spacer sizes to get them to the same position.

If it were me the kit provided direct is non road use competition only and says for the Turni only rims If you driving the car every day and not swapping wheels all the time I would go for an Eibach, H&R or a road legal kit with standard bolts and keep the extra money, they give you all the info 18mm and 12mm spacers. But if the standard rims are different offset and width you will have to compensate with the spacer sizes to get them to the same position.
Hi

Thanks for the reply. They only say with Turni and cup wheels because that is all they have tested them with and the same for the track part. They are TUV certified, The cup wheels are the same offset as the oem trophy wheels same goes with the megane 280 wheels they also fit the mk4 clio's. I have been in contact with Ktech who I got the body kit through and they seem to think that the standard wheels will be fine with the rs performance stud kit.

I'm more wondering why 80nm of torque on the studs? And what makes the not suitable for road use? I already have them but can send them back I am just waiting on the car to go to the body shop in January.

I did look at the eiback ones but thought the RS performance would be a better option and quality.

Last edited:
the notes below are from the Mk3 Clio Cup chassis manual they say the studs are to be 100Nm so I would go 80Nm the studs they show have shoulders so may not need to be torqued so hard and might be the reason they say the studs are for the Turni wheels I saw somewhere on here that a shoulder on a stud stopped a wheel sitting flush to the brake disc face even when the nut was tight and a knock from the wheel and nuts getting slack. The design of the shoulder of the stud will also have an effect on the tightening torque to the disc.
upload_2019-12-26_13-43-39.png
upload_2019-12-26_13-48-38.png

upload_2019-12-26_13-34-22.png
upload_2019-12-26_13-34-42.png
upload_2019-12-26_13-35-2.png

the notes below are from the Mk3 Clio Cup chassis manual they say the studs are to be 100Nm so I would go 80Nm the studs they show have shoulders so may not need to be torqued so hard and might be the reason they say the studs are for the Turni wheels I saw somewhere on here that a shoulder on a stud stopped a wheel sitting flush to the brake disc face even when the nut was tight and a knock from the wheel and nuts getting slack. The design of the shoulder of the stud will also have an effect on the tightening torque to the disc.
View attachment 137846
View attachment 137847

View attachment 137843
View attachment 137844
View attachment 137845
That's very useful information thank you. But it does state they are ok to use with the 17" cup wheels which come on the 200T and the 220T Facelife and none face lift so if that wheel fits and is OK to use surely the multi spoke 220T wheel also would be fine?

Untitled (2).png Untitled2 (2).png Untitled4 (2).png

If you look once the spacer is on the shoulder does not protrude out past the spacer? so surely that will not effect the wheel sitting flush against the spacer?

Please correct me if you think I am wrong that's why i'm here to get more experienced peoples opinions when it comes to it i'm not that knowledgeable with this sort of thing I normally keep my cars as stock as possible.

Last edited:
Well its up to you the body kit is good and is expensive but what else can you do. But the spacer kit 499 for it you could save half buy buying nearly any other make and no one can see the engineering in it. No matter what you buy the wheels are not going to fall off the car just fit to their instructions but the wing is the main part I have seen a similar one for a fraction of the price it looks similar but sits lower to the roof £100 now it may not be made from carbon fibre but I would rather have this broken than some tube rip off the roof a 1200 genuine one. Makes you think about the kit bodywork price and why someone has not copied it yet as if the price was right it would sell.
upload_2019-12-26_15-41-6.png

Thanks for the input! I wanted genuine and If money was an issue I would of looked for something cheaper I agree. I already have the RS performance spacer kit so you are right just have to fit it and go with it I can't personally see why it would no be road worthy....? and btw that spoiler is for none RS models I have seen it on ebay :S

Good man all it would be is testing and deniability if someone got hurt or if a vehicle examiner was involved in an accident scenario. But I have seen a lot of factory motorcycle parts and it is sometimes hard to justify prices of some items, It's like the time we were showing Guy Martin the Suzuki factory GSXR swing arm and telling him it was a factory only part and could not be bought to his reply "they are all made in a factory boy".

Good man all it would be is testing and deniability if someone got hurt or if a vehicle examiner was involved in an accident scenario. But I have seen a lot of factory motorcycle parts and it is sometimes hard to justify prices of some items, It's like the time we were showing Guy Martin the Suzuki factory GSXR swing arm and telling him it was a factory only part and could not be bought to his reply "they are all made in a factory boy".

HAHAHA very true normally china tbh The parts are TUV approved whatever that really is.... I have a question these studs are made of rolled (36NiCrMo16) steel! Is this strong? I've been trying to find the grade of that online.

Yea it's high tensile strength would be used in shock bodies, conrods etc strength with ability to take shock loads and weight consideration.