Renault UK slashes model range

what is happening to renault, 1.6 turbos for the sports and 5 doors, now dropping the laguna and going into the eco market, feels like they are loosing the fun factor i think this is one of the key areas that gives renault all its character, quite sad really,

lets hope something big happens and they bring some crackers in the hot hatch department and restore the heritage

long term will the rs range survive.......i dont think it will be anyway as special as it is now will be more stick on body kits and the odd engine tweek :001_rolleyes:

I was quite shocked really, but the Laguna isn't exactly the best looking car in the world and from what I have heard, it is outdone by all it's rivals. The hatch looks weird at the rear, so the tourer is the better option. It looks good in GT spec, but how much do they cost? You can probably just get something from a premium brand. The Coupe is much the same, and Peugeot is the same with their 407 coupe, why buy a Renault when you could have BMW 1 series?

The Wind just has a bad name and looks a bit ungainly, plus other brands have already established themselves in this market.

The Kangoo is a bad design from van to car, they haven't bothered moving the rear numberplate.

The Espace hasn't been changed for years and is huge. You can get better value from a Scenic, which is why they sell loads of them.

The Modus is fugly and again, behind the game, old and no one needs it when you can get a better looking Megane or Vauxhall Astra, with probably the same kind of space inside.

407 coupe hadn't been on sale for ages. But people buy them because you get all the toys for a reasonable price. Personally i think BMW should stop producing anything less than M-Sport spec cars. Who wants a bobby basic BMW? They're crap in snow, poorly built no spec and over priced. At least if you spend 20k on a French car it will have a good spec, be manageable in all weather and be 'touch wood' a decent car for you to run around in for the next 3 years.

If you have 40k to spend then look at a good BMW or merc (E63 coupe, drool!!)

Sure I had a point when I started typing this lol.

Good for Renault, if it doesn't work - get rid of it.

long term will the rs range survive.......i dont think it will be anyway as special as it is now will be more stick on body kits and the odd engine tweek

nail on the head, the global car market is a different game nowadays, reduced margins, failing economies and the eco brigade have ment huge changes are happening...

I don't think Renault ever really had a reputation for being "fun" did they? RS range aside. Quirky and different yes, fun? not so sure.

Won't help the dealers having a smaller range to sell from, though not needing to have some fast depreciating demonstrators will improve matters I guess.

The large mainstream sector is very competitive, don't forget Renault sister co. Nissan exited this sector some years ago.

They are only axing RHD cars for the UK market so it's a good idea IMO.

Is Dacia coming to the UK as a budget brand? I look forward seeing it on the roads.

They are only axing RHD cars for the UK market so it's a good idea IMO.

Is Dacia coming to the UK as a budget brand? I look forward seeing it on the roads.

yep - sandero on its way

*theres a gti on its way with a 1.6turbo 220hp 6sp box for £14k

Its four years warranty, servicing and roadside for free as standard.

It also claims that they're axing a lot of dealerships (oddly due to financial reasons, rather than the more obvious reason that they're ****...)

Personally I don't think introducing Electric Vehicles is gonna give them the volume increase they're claiming, I mean how many Nissan Leafs do you see kicking about?

Four years warranty servicing and breakdown cover is good, would maybe tempt me into a new car in the future

Its four years warranty, servicing and roadside for free as standard.

It also claims that they're axing a lot of dealerships (oddly due to financial reasons, rather than the more obvious reason that they're ****...)

Personally I don't think introducing Electric Vehicles is gonna give them the volume increase they're claiming, I mean how many Nissan Leafs do you see kicking about?

battery electric only good for the urban commute which a lot of people do - in the long term cannot see it being the replacement for hc engines....hydrogen is the winner if they can produce it correctly...

I agree with you Foxspeed. Personally I think Electric is at best a stop-gap and at worst a short sighted mistake.

People would rather forget where the electricity they're pumping in to their car is coming from and ride around with their smug "zero carbon" vehicle...

I agree with you Foxspeed. Personally I think Electric is at best a stop-gap and at worst a short sighted mistake.

People would rather forget where the electricity they're pumping in to their car is coming from and ride around with their smug "zero carbon" vehicle...

+ the fact that the co2 produced to manufacture a fuel cell is a gallizillon times more than what an r.s would produce in its life time. Factor on top the electrify to charge like Robbo points out and you can see its all a load of crap.

+ the fact that the co2 produced to manufacture a fuel cell is a gallizillon times more than what an r.s would produce in its life time. Factor on top the electrify to charge like Robbo points out and you can see its all a load of crap.

Also a good point, heres some clever people saying pretty much the same stuff lol.

http://dotearth.blogs.nytimes.com/2011/10/10/scant-co2-benefit-from-chinas-coal-powered-electric-cars/

^^ and this doesn't even take in to account the production of the battery cell itself.