Redstuff, why I hate them so

richandgem

Platinum Member
Just a review/moan about them really.
I recently got the 182 back on the road as I SORN it over the winter. The rear brakes had been making a grinding nose so I thought I'd get it sorted. Turns out that the friction material on one of the pads had fallen out leaving metal on metal. When I changed the other pads and fitted the new disks all but one pad was left intact, as I removed the them the friction material fell off :x

I had been running Redstuff on the front but hated them that much I removed them after a few months. They are great on track but the worse pads I have ever used in the road, it was impossible to get and keep heat in them unless you drove like a complete weapon. I hate them. All back to standard on the rear and custom grooved disks on the front with DS2500's, which are amazing IMO.

Rant, sorry review, over :smile:

In fairness to ebc they are advertised as a fast road use pad on heavier cars and are not ideal for a small hatch back with intended normal use. Before yellow stuff became available the red stuff pad was just a circuit pad but now yellowstuff is regarded as the circuit pad. I find that yellowstuff has a better all round characteristic than red and they start working much sooner. I agree that reds feel dangerous on small cars and take ages to start working! Nearly miss judged a lot of junctions with redstuff!! Greenstuff is much more suitable if anyone is looking towards ebc...

Shame they dont make greenstuff for 197/200's i run reds (for now) im going to the ring on pagid's though and hopefully a 330mm brake kit. I
Know what u meen thgh rich they are very poor on the road.

Surely it shouldn't matter if they are designed for road or track use, 3/4 pads fell apart after a few months use - thats a poor quality product IMO.

Surely it shouldn't matter if they are designed for road or track use, 3/4 pads fell apart after a few months use - thats a poor quality product IMO.

Agree with you there mate, surely they shouldn't just fall apart like that. Granted they are for track use but you would think track cars more so than any other would be likely to sit unused for periods of time..

Depends on your priorities breeny, in my opinion carbon lorraine pads are amazing and I can't see how any other pad could be any better. The only downside is they squeal a bit and you need to make sure you wash your wheels at least every couple of weeks.

just looking for a wee bit better than standard pads my brakes are **** right now they just dont seem to bed in at all really really poor at stopping to be honest

I will never touch carbon lorraine again. I used a set on my 172, 1 track day at bedford and a bit of road use. Here's the result
2688c292.gif
On all 4 front pads. Shocking quality, not the only set that have done this either.

need to get a chance to strip them down and have a look its due a service in a couple of weeks do u think theyll pick it up on that

Shame they dont make greenstuff for 197/200's i run reds (for now) im going to the ring on pagid's though and hopefully a 330mm brake kit. I
Know what u meen thgh rich they are very poor on the road.

Shame they don't do greenstuff??

It bloody isn't. Best way to describe greenstuff is dangerous!!

They are considerably worse than standard on a 172/182 nevermind a 197/200.

Now Pagid on the other hand are amazing. I used blues in my 172 cup and at the Ring in 30 degree heat they did not miss a beat!!

My mate runs yellow and does loads of trackdays. He swears by em.

I just could not trust a company that makes something as bad as greenstuff. Their turbo groove discs are pretty pathetic too.