Recent live Dyno Graph(Fast chip Rs Tuner)

So it's not an actualy power test, just an estimate based on fuelling etc, the car doesn't actually know how much power it's producing

Tbf this could be a long way out, it's a bit iffy trying to judge such small increase this way

Of cause it is its plugged into the obd and uses similar software to what you would on a rolling road only difference is its actually live and not sat in a garage

lol no thats not the difference!

it uses set time/speed parameters to approximate a bhp figure. the downside is, 1) as youve pointed out the weight isnt accurate, and unless yiu measure eveytime it never will be 2)you cant account for aerodynamic losses i.e head wind or tail wind, you cant account for uphill/downhill.

a chassis dyno measures actual force produced by the tyre on the roller, and from this calculates power and torque figures.

they are very different systems,

Of cause it is its plugged into the obd and uses similar software to what you would on a rolling road only difference is its actually live and not sat in a garage

But the cars aren't just stuck in a garage, the rollers in a rolling road actually measure the power the car is putting out. When you are using the cars mapping data it's purely an estimate based on a number of key data figures.

I'm not just trying to be an a*** mate, but the software you are using is a best guess and an average if figures and data they manufacture will have got from previous tests.

lol no thats not the difference!

it uses set time/speed parameters to approximate a bhp figure. the downside is, 1) as youve pointed out the weight isnt accurate, and unless yiu measure eveytime it never will be 2)you cant account for aerodynamic losses i.e head wind or tail wind, you cant account for uphill/downhill.

a chassis dyno measures actual force produced by the tyre on the roller, and from this calculates power and torque figures.

they are very different systems,

Lol someone else thinking the same as me :smile:

Oh my word, a program like this is no good.

It's basically just guessing your power figures and read outs.

I'd go ask for your money back tbh as a program like this will only cause more harm than good to your ecu.

Its using sound physics, theres no question there, its just not very controlable....as Ive said above to many variables which are out of the control of the user.

Mass is critcal in obtaining a power figure when using such physics. Its determining the time required to accelerate a KNOWN mass between two speeds. this gives the ammount of energy required to provide such an accln. from this there will be an algorithm to provide a realistic engine power figure through losses etc.

Craig; that will be relevant when driving about like the lad mentioned, not on a rolling road as th rollers use the rotational speeds of the wheels to gain figures.

They don't take weight into account on a RR.

Yes, and we were talking about how he was driving about; hence me saying that.

Fully aware of how a rolling road works, ive designed and built several, as well as engine dyno's.

Thanks for the smarty pants comments I've never said it was better than a rr but you still get a rough idea of before and after just Like you would use a rr

I know its not 100 % accurate but its better than using a accelerometer in a iPhone lol

Also I'm going to post up another graph soon comparing itg and standard filter

The weight of the vehicle in question has absolutely nothing to do with the power out put at the wheels.

On a topic about a "performance analyser" which uses weight/mass as part of its fundamental calculations, you said ^^^^^^.

Which is incorrect. So no, you werent right about the weight in the context of the discussion.

When talking about load-holding rolling roads, then yes, there is no context of usable mass.
HOWEVER on an inertia based rolling road, we use a figure called the "simulated road load" which is based on the vehicles mass, and allows us to determine a correct flywheel mass moment of inertia and/or gearing for the flywheel to give a suitable "resistence" effect to perform an adequate acceleration run. This principal is similar to the performance analyser as discussed in this thread.

Also I'm going to post up another graph soon comparing itg and standard filter

Please do,
I have the itg filter and i can't notice any increase or decrease in power but i do get a higher mpg now.
(around 30 to 40 more miles per tank with the itg in)

On a topic about a "performance analyser" which uses weight/mass as part of its fundamental calculations, you said ^^^^^^.

Which is incorrect. So no, you werent right about the weight in the context of the discussion.

When talking about load-holding rolling roads, then yes, there is no context of usable mass.
HOWEVER on an inertia based rolling road, we use a figure called the "simulated road load" which is based on the vehicles mass, and allows us to determine a correct flywheel mass moment of inertia and/or gearing for the flywheel to give a suitable "resistence" effect to perform an adequate acceleration run. This principal is similar to the performance analyser as discussed in this thread.

No mate, because I was talking about rolling roads. Not driving about with a laptop plugged in.

I wouldn't waste my time with a device that involves driving about.

If you were using a device like the above mentioned then weight has everything to do with how it will calculate the power and acceleration of a vehicle.

A method such as this, as you will now Craig is very inaccutate and a rolling road will measure far more perameters and is alot more accurate.

How quick is the ECU to adapt? I say this, as my other cars have usually taken around 100 miles to fully see the benefit (or lack of) with any changes.

I think the time it takes can vary between the different perameters changed at anyone time.

For example, on the volkswagon Audi group cars it takes about 2 full tanks of high octane fuel for the ecu to fully adapt to the change.