R3 Airbox

I hope that I could afford to try the R3 airbox once...

I have a V6 airbox and I love it. Much better than the stock >4500rpm...

i would say the angle at which the air is getting drawn into the airbox then throttle body would differ, as with the R3 box the pipe to the throttle is almost curling back on it self, whereas the airflow on the v6 airbox is more straight with and right angle bend.

i agree but isn't this worse then for the v6 box? surely a pipe with tight bends in is going to upset flow more than a pipe without,still don't think its this pipe thats creating a difference tbh,wonder how a V6 box with a good CAF would work? anyone heard anything about Ktecs new set up yet?

Last edited:
Well if you look at the v6 box its inlet is behind the passenger head light, there less of a bend on the throttle bend than that on the r3, the r3 inlet is at the grill make the bend at the throttle body greater, but like you say due to it taking its inlet at the grill you will get the ram air effect at higher speeds. Well that how i see it.

I have CAF into v6 box. No real difference. The problem is the pipe from airbox to TB. I cant seem to get the angle right. Going to fab a hard pipe.
The clio generally lacks low end torque. All the mods I've done which ultimately mean getting more air into the engine, as just pushed the power further up the rev range which is not where the clio really needs it. This further exacerbated by the cams. Set up is ideal for track or fast open roads and funny enough motorway but not in real world. When in the power band, my car is stupidly fast but problem remains below 3-4k.
This airbox I recon will make that even worse and the clio will feel dead below 3-4k. V6 airbox is the best compromise IMO.

Last edited:
I have CAF into v6 box. No real difference. The problem is the pipe from airbox to TB. I cant seem to get the angle right. Going to fab a hard pipe.
The clio generally lacks low end torque. All the mods I've done which ultimately mean getting more air into the engine, as just pushed the power further up the rev range which is not where the clio really needs it. This further exacerbated by the cams. Set up is ideal for track or fast open roads and funny enough motorway but not in real world. When in the power band, my car is stupidly fast but problem remains below 3-4k.
This airbox I recon will make that even worse and the clio will feel dead below 3-4k. V6 airbox is the best compromise IMO.

thinking you could probably be right there mate,i feel my car runs similar to how you described yours,i must say one thing that did alter it though is when i changed to my custom air intake arrangement,the length of the intake pipe to the TB was considerably shorter than the one i got with the maxogen and the OEM version which on the bum dyno as you describe (ha ha) seemed to bring the power in alot quicker,suppose the air is probably travelling into the engine alot quicker with a shorter pipe,apparently though i may lose a few horses top end doing things this way

on another note, i think the best way for maxogen to work is across where the battery would sit as you would use (if fitted) less cold air feed (pipe) with less bends in compared to if it was fitted along the back of the battery, yes there would be less of a bend on the throttle body with the second way but across the battery would be alittle bit of compremise.

This is 1000000% true, however, when I drive "slow" I don't need the power/torque (<4000rpm, I WOULD LOVE IT, but you can't have it all), but if/when you want to run fast, all you need is >4500rpm power/torque in 90% of the time.

And I choose this. :smiley:

P.S. If you want low&high end torque all at once with one mod - head work. On the last engine, I had the head modified (and I had the cams in this combination which should slow down the car in low revs) and I could feel the throttle response & low torque get MUCH BETTER than before.

Last edited:
on another note, i think the best way for maxogen to work is across where the battery would sit as you would use (if fitted) less cold air feed (pipe) with less bends in compared to if it was fitted along the back of the battery, yes there would be less of a bend on the throttle body with the second way but across the battery would be alittle bit of compremise.

Henderson and me have our maxogen set up this way and dose feel a better setup.

R3 air box dose look good but think ime going to wait to see what the K-tec set up is like which is only a few weeks away,may be a lot cheaper to.

got a few plans to go my own way again,with the space available around the battery area now there is room for improvement,big feeds from the R3 airbox area and a secondary feed from the passenger side fog light,a filter thats slightly enclosed but can also be influenced by some ram air,looking to create the best of both worlds

Last edited:
Price is good but that is for the fiberglass one, the one in the pictures is carbon/kevlar which is 539, which still ain't bad really.

Do you guys want me to post their reply on here when i get it .

I am off to holland in June for Dutch time attach might be able to pick a couple of these up if people interested

Price is good but that is for the fiberglass one, the one in the pictures is carbon/kevlar which is 539, which still ain't bad really.

I know, I was thinking of the fiberglass version. I don't think that it's worth the difference in the price.

Still...would be even more happier if the price would be lower. :smiley: