R3 Airbox

Why can't k-tec get something like this developed? Its not hard to make this really, especially with there funding etc behind them, they keep trying to develope parts such as turbos etc when most of us could never afford it. Just my opinion but this would be a mod I'd spend my money on! Imagine 7000 rpm with that open filter ooooh!

Why can't k-tec get something like this developed? Its not hard to make this really, especially with there funding etc behind them, they keep trying to develope parts such as turbos etc when most of us could never afford it. Just my opinion but this would be a mod I'd spend my money on! Imagine 7000 rpm with that open filter ooooh!

they are working on it soon :wink:

do agree if they designed this for the clio would be a great mod

Likewise, I had a similar email conversation with David towards the end of the summer, I'm intrigued to see what they come up with. :smile:

I'm quite liking the idea of the R3 airbox but the cheapest I can find is direct from CRM (Cestra Racing Motorsport) in Italy, looking at around €600 for a carbon one.

As much as I love carbon I reckon a good quality fibreglass one would do the job in the same way. It would bring the cost down to under 300 easily, maybe even less. If there is some interest i'd consider getting a carbon one and producing a mould to knock some out.

I'm quite liking the idea of the R3 airbox but the cheapest I can find is direct from CRM (Cestra Racing Motorsport) in Italy, looking at around €600 for a carbon one.

As much as I love carbon I reckon a good quality fibreglass one would do the job in the same way. It would bring the cost down to under 300 easily, maybe even less. If there is some interest i'd consider getting a carbon one and producing a mould to knock some out.

433€ whid vat in fiberglass http://www.ac-sport.com/V3/catalog.php?recherche=recherche#ancre

Don't want to put a downer on this but didn't simo have the world of problems with it? Sure he lose power with it. I recon the ecu would really struggle with it....

Don't want to put a downer on this but didn't simo have the world of problems with it? Sure he lose power with it. I recon the ecu would really struggle with it....

If I remember correctly, it had nothing to do with the power figures or ECU, but with the way it mounts on the TB. It used to vibrate itself off the TB, and he didn't want to cut the plastic off and use rubber hose.

not to worried about that yet mate,just wish i could get my hands on one,if it needs a stand alone ecu then so be it as i also fancy removing the precat and a new ecu would help with the flat spot from what i gather

If I remember correctly, it had nothing to do with the power figures or ECU, but with the way it mounts on the TB. It used to vibrate itself off the TB, and he didn't want to cut the plastic off and use rubber hose.

Maybe that too but thread states that he thought the torque curve would be better with v6 box. Thread 308...there's no denying it looks a nice piece of kit and id have one on looks alone. However, I'm guessing if it was that much better that v6 box, Simo would have made it work!!!!

Maybe that too but thread states that he thought the torque curve would be better with v6 box. Thread 308...there's no denying it looks a nice piece of kit and id have one on looks alone. However, I'm guessing if it was that much better that v6 box, Simo would have made it work!!!!

yeah he says he has a loss of power until 4500/5000 but from then on until peak power the R3 box seems to have big gains,depends where you want the power i suppose,i can't help but think a good remap would sort this though,(i.e. RS Tuning),as it looks like both boxes use similar size panel filters to me so fail to see how there would be a low down difference,obviously the difference above 5000RPM with the R3 Airbox comes from the ram air effect,i've never been 1 to 1 with either box though so forgive me if i'm wrong

i would say the angle at which the air is getting drawn into the airbox then throttle body would differ, as with the R3 box the pipe to the throttle is almost curling back on it self, whereas the airflow on the v6 airbox is more straight with and right angle bend.