197: r26 conversion

i'd love to see this completed, it has the potential to be a monster of a car.
i have only seen one company that has done this before, shiftech engineering http://www.shiftech.be/, but i haven't looked very hard to be fair. i know they are miles away (France and Belgium) but i wouldn't count them out, depending on how badly you want this to happen.

I'll think I'd buy them off you...I'm still looking for a donor car. I know what you mean, had to call some big favours from friends in the trade to even entertain taking it on. If I considered going to RS tuners, TDF or jamsports...the price wouldn't justify the conversion. There is over 300 hrs work. Thats about 9 grand + vat. Certainly not plug n' play. I think people forget why there isn't another one...bar the one on youtube. Theres no guarantees that the ecu will work either. My friends taking about maybe having to use a standalone ecu, which is another £800.

Must admit, I'm havin second thoughts....

that's abit ott, I have the megane ecu, so just need tje key codes from the clio each and your away, no way should it be 9k, but money isn't the problem here, I have it all but no one has the balls to take it on.

Itchy you want it all then make me an offer

i'd love to see this completed, it has the potential to be a monster of a car.
i have only seen one company that has done this before, shiftech engineering http://www.shiftech.be/, but i haven't looked very hard to be fair. i know they are miles away (France and Belgium) but i wouldn't count them out, depending on how badly you want this to happen.

Have spoken to them, and all they did was the mapping on the megane ecu, the owner of the car did the rest him.self

I know jonesy, but my friend does extensive work for many tuning companies including jamsports. I've lost count on the number of feature cars he's done the electrics on. Look at the supercharger conversion. Many say its only the.....to finish it!! The delay in the supercharger was down to the mapping, not the fabrication. Its taken a long time to be even get close. I won't even start to understand the complexity of it all but my friend says its simple stuff that often people forget. You may get the engine running but its getting even simple things like the car security to recognise the different ecu. These conversions are far from simple and thats why no one wants to do it. Even the one on youtube, the owner done it himself. That means there isn't one company to date thats done what on the surface of things is the perfect engine conversion for the clio. That speaks volumes...It may not be 9 grand but as on ones don't it yet, its hard to argue how much it would actually cost.

Pm what your looking for the lot and we can take it from there.....

Last edited:
It might be worth talking to TDF about this conversion using their ECU, bound to generate some more interest from them if there's an ECU in it

surly it wouldnt matter what ecu it was tdf,omex or standard? The standard one is for the meg engine anyway. Wouldnt this be the best option?

This would be a massive project, fair play to who does it, i wouldnt want to lol! My supercharger is so close now, once mine is done this will be the easiest one to go for. Bet then easy is boring :wink:

that's abit ott, I have the megane ecu, so just need tje key codes from the clio each and your away, no way should it be 9k, but money isn't the problem here, I have it all but no one has the balls to take it on.

Itchy you want it all then make me an offer

surly it wouldnt matter what ecu it was tdf,omex or standard? The standard one is for the meg engine anyway. Wouldnt this be the best option?

This would be a massive project, fair play to who does it, i wouldnt want to lol! My supercharger is so close now, once mine is done this will be the easiest one to go for. Bet then easy is boring :wink:

You might be right Mike.....I have spoken with Steve at length and he's said in simple terms...the ecu recognises the engine but what about the other electronics it controls. Your not just configuring the complexity of the engine management alone. What you also have to do is marry the both engine looms.

The other problem is dealing with heat from the turbo as the bulkhead is shaped differently on the clio.

The electrics + mapping alone could take 2-3 weeks +. Another month+ for fabrication. Give or take a couple of weeks, could be 10 weeks easy. Thats the cost of the supercharger kit alone (fitted), without the costs of the R26 engine, gearbox.....

My friends are doing me a massive favour as they hope to generate interest in the conversion.

Yeah its a big job as essentially your mapping the whole thing again! Which is where your money gets soaked up!! I hope it works out for u mate, would be good to see if you could!! Have to get them side by side then :wink: Heat would be a big issue, but im sure there must be a solution to it. :smile:

You might be right Mike.....I have spoken with Steve at length and he's said in simple terms...the ecu recognises the engine but what about the other electronics it controls. Your not just configuring the complexity of the engine management alone. What you also have to do is marry the both engine looms.

The other problem is dealing with heat from the turbo as the bulkhead is shaped differently on the clio.

The electrics + mapping alone could take 2-3 weeks +. Another month+ for fabrication. Give or take a couple of weeks, could be 10 weeks easy. Thats the cost of the supercharger kit alone (fitted), without the costs of the R26 engine, gearbox.....

My friends are doing me a massive favour as they hope to generate interest in the conversion.

very true in what you have said in this post and the one before, and I 100% agree with you, tho in this case a few things are fairly easy, the megane and clio share the same uch, same security devices and the mapping can be just a preloaded mate to make sure everything is running a ok with everything, then.its time to play

very true in what you have said in this post and the one before, and I 100% agree with you, tho in this case a few things are fairly easy, the megane and clio share the same uch, same security devices and the mapping can be just a preloaded mate to make sure everything is running a ok with everything, then.its time to play

Sleep on whether you want to go ahead or sell the parts. You've worked that hard to get the parts together, seems a shame to not follow it through. Failing that I certainly would be interested in parts. PM a price if thats what you decide, and we'll take it from there......

Sleep on whether you want to go ahead or sell the parts. You've worked that hard to get the parts together, seems a shame to not follow it through. Failing that I certainly would be interested in parts. PM a price if thats what you decide, and we'll take it from there......
I have pm'd you, I've been in two minds any how for a fair while, evo on the cards I think

lol i know why cus its money that could be spent on better things. even throttle bodies would get you similar more reliable power

You sure? No chance imo. Power gains from a blown motor is easy. Kevo is the ultimate 197 modder I know of and spent lots, got the best guy on it and while he did gain, it was nothing to shout about vs the cost. There is little to be gained from an NA in reality, its a thankless task.
He has already bought the gear, it just needs slotting in. There is no point stopping now. Stick it in and get it mapped.:thumbup1:

EDIT - I have just read that it would be something like 300 hours and 9 grand. Stick it in the bin immediately and buy an R26.

You sure? No chance imo. Power gains from a blown motor is easy. Kevo is the ultimate 197 modder I know of and spent lots, got the best guy on it and while he did gain, it was nothing to shout about vs the cost. There is little to be gained from an NA in reality, its a thankless task.
He has already bought the gear, it just needs slotting in. There is no point stopping now. Stick it in and get it mapped.:thumbup1:

EDIT - I have just read that it would be something like 300 hours and 9 grand. Stick it in the bin immediately and buy an R26.

dunno where the whole 300hours and 9k came from, i'll be using the megane ecu, along with a megane engine, just preload a stock megane map and your away.

This is not like Mike's charger where they are trying to map a clio ecu that doesnt run posivite pressure, but are trying they best to make it do it, so there wouldnt this 300hours on the rolling road to map it

Yeah mines been mapped from scratch, big big job. The fez st sc's took between 300-400 hours to map for the 1st one.

Dont see how kev was the ultimate modder, just coz its got a tdf ecu in? A year ago he was. Imo woody and simo have massively out done him now.

Look at it this way..... Resale value is so poor you have to pay people to take it away never mind get money out of it. Im giving away 7k of mods in a px deal if i told them about the mods they would probably value my car even less.

Keeping my eyes peeled at the local dealerships for your recently PX'd clio.. :drool::coffee:

Yeah mines been mapped from scratch, big big job. The fez st sc's took between 300-400 hours to map for the 1st one.

Dont see how kev was the ultimate modder, just coz its got a tdf ecu in? A year ago he was. Imo woody and simo have massively out done him now.

Im out of date tbh and haven't read much recently. I like the sound of this charger stuff though. :thumbup1:

Look at it this way..... Resale value is so poor you have to pay people to take it away never mind get money out of it. Im giving away 7k of mods in a px deal if i told them about the mods they would probably value my car even less.

why would you be doing that? surely you have kept the standard parts and would be better off, putting the engine back to standard, i meant mike with his charger might want more power and your internals might be right up his street?

i wont have been far behind kevo mate just cba with it anymore mate