R26 Advice

Phenom

Paid Member
Looking at grabbing a R26 Megane to replace my current daily. don't worry keeping the Clio

just wondering if anyone here knows what to look out for on a higher mileage example around the 130k mark.

or which is the best forum to go looking for advice?

think the things to look out for will be similar across all cars of that age now.

The engines are pretty strong just ensure that it’s been serviced and cam belts been done, aside that good hunting

Reactions: Phenom
I agree with the above, I've had both and it's very similar things to look out for to be honest, good service history and maintenance record with recent Cambelt, Aux Belt and Water Pump.

On a car with 130k miles I'd expect most common parts to be done by that point really:

Swivel bearings
Ball Joints
General suspension components replaced
Clutch (mine was slipping in 4th & 5th under hard acceleration)
Cambelt etc
Gearbox refurb (maybe by that point?)

If mapped they are good for about 300/300 but for longevity probably 260/260 or there about

My old one was only on 50k miles but had a recent full suspension overhaul and it made so much difference, I'm still yet to find a car feel as good, it was absolutely night and day.

I don't know your budget or what you're looking for, but one bit of advice would be that spending an extra £1-2k on an example that's had everything done could be well worth the extra outlay in the long run if budget allows. For example my R26R Clutch, Single Mass Flywheel and Full Cambelt, Aux Belt and Water pump bill was about £1350

There's two blue ones on eBay currently £5995 and £7600 and the £7600 one is exceptionally good value for money compared to the other (providing the history/receipts back up the advert)

I agree with the above, I've had both and it's very similar things to look out for to be honest, good service history and maintenance record with recent Cambelt, Aux Belt and Water Pump.

On a car with 130k miles I'd expect most common parts to be done by that point really:

Swivel bearings
Ball Joints
General suspension components replaced
Clutch (mine was slipping in 4th & 5th under hard acceleration)
Cambelt etc
Gearbox refurb (maybe by that point?)

If mapped they are good for about 300/300 but for longevity probably 260/260 or there about

My old one was only on 50k miles but had a recent full suspension overhaul and it made so much difference, I'm still yet to find a car feel as good, it was absolutely night and day.

I don't know your budget or what you're looking for, but one bit of advice would be that spending an extra £1-2k on an example that's had everything done could be well worth the extra outlay in the long run if budget allows. For example my R26R Clutch, Single Mass Flywheel and Full Cambelt, Aux Belt and Water pump bill was about £1350

There's two blue ones on eBay currently £5995 and £7600 and the £7600 one is exceptionally good value for money compared to the other (providing the history/receipts back up the advert)
the one at 5995 was the one that got me interested originally, but I do have a bad habit of buying a cheaper car with a ton of problems. the 7600 is at the very top of my budget at the moment.

looking at history of the 7600 one, the belts were done less than 10k miles ago but 6 years ago so would need doing again? would you still go for that over the cheaper one? as I was sure about the more expensive one before I started looking into it

the one at 5995 was the one that got me interested originally, but I do have a bad habit of buying a cheaper car with a ton of problems. the 7600 is at the very top of my budget at the moment.

looking at history of the 7600 one, the belts were done less than 10k miles ago but 6 years ago so would need doing again? would you still go for that over the cheaper one? as I was sure about the more expensive one before I started looking into it
If the belts were done 6 years ago I would want to factor in doing them again - This is purely my opinion but I'm always overly cautious

As mentioned in my other post the description sounds great and has the common issues listed as done - gearbox refurb, R26R Clutch and SMF, new front shocks, Discs and pads look pretty new (hubs not rusty etc), Airtec intercooler, RSTuning map etc.

I've only really skimmed over the adverts and briefly looked at what's for sale currently so don't really want to say which I would or wouldn't go for but if you could get a deal on the £7600 one, and the history, receipts, car actually looks good in person and drives well then it seems great value, I would be at least viewing it if it was within my budget

Reactions: Phenom
If the belts were done 6 years ago I would want to factor in doing them again - This is purely my opinion but I'm always overly cautious

As mentioned in my other post the description sounds great and has the common issues listed as done - gearbox refurb, R26R Clutch and SMF, new front shocks, Discs and pads look pretty new (hubs not rusty etc), Airtec intercooler, RSTuning map etc.

I've only really skimmed over the adverts and briefly looked at what's for sale currently so don't really want to say which I would or wouldn't go for but if you could get a deal on the £7600 one, and the history, receipts, car actually looks good in person and drives well then it seems great value, I would be at least viewing it if it was within my budget
Thanks for the advice. Defo going to go look at the 7600 one. Hopefully as good as it looks online