Preventative rear disc maintenance (ABS Sensor/Ring)

DS197

POTM Winner - June 2017
Paid Member
Thought I'd flag this up as a potential issue 197 members may face which is the ABS sensor "housing" on the rear stub axles.

I had an ESP/ABS fault which upon reading the fault code turned out to be the OSR speed sensor/ABS sensor. After a visual inspection the ABS ring had actually fallen off the disc. So I ordered a pair of new rear discs, and that's when the cause of the problem was found. The round disc on the stub axle, to which the abs sensor sits on was corroded to the point where it was making contact with the abs ring, causing it to fall off.

Stub axles can be purchased separately for the 197, however I was lucky that the corrosion could be cut out without affecting the integrity of the sensor housing. There is another thread about a member who had a similar problem (http://www.clio197.net/threads/abs-help.55212/). I thought it's more than a coincidence and most likely an age related problem. Worth having a look for those with older 197s (mine is a late 2007) as simply replacing the discs without cutting out the corrosion/replacing the stub axle will only result in another set of discs being required.

I'd also like to give a shout out to Two Techs in Dartford for their continuous help and assistance, these guys never disappoint and are definitely worth travelling to :smile:

Good find Davinder, thanks for letting us know about this - there's quite a lot of us who could well be in the window for this part corroding on our cars!

I'll make this thread a sticky so it's more easily visible.

Reactions: DS197
Good find Davinder, thanks for letting us know about this - there's quite a lot of us who could well be in the window for this part corroding on our cars!

I'll make this thread a sticky so it's more easily visible.
No problem Jimmy, hopefully this thread can be of some help to everyone on here! :smile:

Reactions: Jimmy
Out of curiosity did you ever find a source for the metal discs? I wondered about getting an engineer friend make up some stainless discs to fit on, the issue being the interference fit and the rust already present.

Holy thread revival...but worth it haha.
Yeah I seen these recently, when I change rear discs I am going to also change these for peace of mind.

Reactions: DS197
Holy thread revival...but worth it haha.
Yeah I seen these recently, when I change rear discs I am going to also change these for peace of mind.
I was debating whether or not to start a new thread!

That’s pretty much how I found them, got a set of new rear discs to go on and wanted to do the job properly. Went through 3 sets of rear discs first time around due to the rust.

Reactions: suj
Would this cause a high pitched squeal? Disks and bearings are only a couple of years old, it's definitely not brakes... Seems to get quieter when I turn to the right which is a bit odd :think:

be best to service the rear brakes first - strip - clean - chamfer pads - lube - refit - adjust fits

@Foxspeed defo not rear brake as I had the caliper off and it's still there, it's coming from hub / bearing area but hard to tell without taking disk off. If the weathers ok might be a job for tomorrow...

Reactions: Foxspeed
It could do, I also had noise coming from the rear that disappeared when turning.

Having this same fault at the moment, anyone got any idea whether this part would fit and solve the problem ?

Attached a pic of the rear disc with what looks like a damaged Reluctor ring ? This was a screenshot from a video my mechanic sent me.

Screenshot_20201214_110851.jpg

Any help would be greatly appreciated at this is starting to get on my nerves now. Had the sensor replaced btw.

Having this same fault at the moment, anyone got any idea whether this part would fit and solve the problem ?

Attached a pic of the rear disc with what looks like a damaged Reluctor ring ? This was a screenshot from a video my mechanic sent me.

View attachment 143288

Any help would be greatly appreciated at this is starting to get on my nerves now. Had the sensor replaced btw.
Have a look

I’d say so based on this.

Reactions: SilverstoneGP50/50
For cost and the fact if it gets worse later you'll need to change the ABS ring again as it will take it off, read the thread PITA linked to, I wrote some tips to get it bang on etc.

Reactions: SilverstoneGP50/50
For cost and the fact if it gets worse later you'll need to change the ABS ring again as it will take it off, read the thread PITA linked to, I wrote some tips to get it bang on etc.

Very true, I was hoping I could get it done at minimal cost because I've thrown a fair bit of money at it in the past week but I think you're both right about just replacing it.

DS197 is gonna send me a spare one, what a legend !

Reactions: suj