Prep for Track days

I'm going to dip my toe this year and take the Clio on a few track days including Bedford. I wouldn't mind a idiots guide to preparing for track days e.g. Tyre advice, insurance and car prep day before etc....

You need to take;

Kettle
Helmet
Tea Bags
Cable Ties
Duct Tape
Foot Pump
Spare Underpants
Hat (to hide hair once the helmet is off)

Insurance is available from a few places, I favour Pace Ward. Some companies will only cover you for bodywork damage but they won't tell you this, it'll be in the small print. So you really need to do your homework on that one to save being caught out should the sh!t hit the fan. Beyond that, the usual pre-trip checks to tyres and fluid levels as well as getting a decent nights kip beforehand and that's pretty much it mate.

You need to take;

Kettle
Helmet
Tea Bags
Chocolate hobnobs
Cable Ties
Duct Tape
Foot Pump
Spare Underpants

Insurance is available from a few places, I favour Pace Ward. Some companies will only cover you for bodywork damage but they won't tell you this, it'll be in the small print. So you really need to do your homework on that one to save being caught out should the sh!t hit the fan. Beyond that, the usual pre-trip checks to tyres and fluid levels as well as getting a decent nights kip beforehand and that's pretty much it mate.

Corrected :-p:-p

You need to take;

Kettle
Helmet
Tea Bags
Cable Ties
Duct Tape
Foot Pump
Spare Underpants

Are you sure thats just a trackday you are planning Will, I dont know what you and the missus have planned that involves a foot pump, but the rest would usually be on the list of some unsavoury characters

+1 on the good nights kip. Did a day round Mallory on 3hours sleep and stomach full of booze. One of the worse ideas ever. Although the look on mine, the mrs and my mates faces going round the track that morning were pretty funny. We spent the first hour in the in-field nailing through bacon butties before we could face it :smiley:

Ooooooh, almost forgot the most important one for you Litchy...

Make sure you arrive ON TIME!!!

Spare cash, enough for at least two tank fulls (one half way through the day and another one to get you home). You will use a lot more go juice than you think.

Ill tell what I do before setting off.

Check all the wheels are torqued.
Check the level of the brake pads.
Usual oil, coolant, brake fluid level check.
You'll need an air pump or a gauge that'll let you adjust your tyre pressures. (nothing worse than mind numbing understeer because your tyres are too hot, that and itll ruin the middle of your tyres)
Everyones different regards tyre pressures but I start mine at 26 all round, take it easy for a 10 min session then adjust them to the factory Front: 33 Rear: 31.
Drink plenty of water or youll end up with a major headache
Dont forget your Licence either, nothing worse than that !

Also make sure you do a cool down lap where you hardly use the brakes, just pootle round letting everything have a bit of a rest instead of bareling into the pits and turning the car off.

Dont use the handbrake in the pits either the pads will bind to the disc, try and roll to a stop and leave the car in gear.

Last edited:
You need to wear long sleeves to, although they were a bit slack a Bedford

Usually only enforce that in open tops from what I've seen mate.

I always wear sleeves anyway, keep my arms nice and covered should the window come through.

Ill tell what I do before setting off.

Check all the wheels are torqued.
Check the level of the brake pads.
Usual oil, coolant, brake fluid level check.
You'll need an air pump or a gauge that'll let you adjust your tyre pressures. (nothing worse than mind numbing understeer because your tyres are too hot, that and itll ruin the middle of your tyres)
Everyones different regards tyre pressures but I start mine at 26 all round, take it easy for a 10 min session then adjust them to the factory Front: 33 Rear: 31.
Drink plenty of water or youll end up with a major headache
Dont forget your Licence either, nothing worse than that !

Also make sure you do a cool down lap where you hardly use the brakes, just pootle round letting everything have a bit of a rest instead of bareling into the pits and turning the car off.

Dont use the handbrake in the pits either the pads will bind to the disc, try and roll to a stop and leave the car in gear.

This sums it up very well, couldn't have put it better myslef!