Powerflex bushes & engine mounts

Had the three engine mounts fitted today and there is a big difference to the way the car handles.

May I ask, how does the engine mounts' replacement affect the handling so much? I do appreciate there is less engine movement and that can only be good but I can't see how this enhances our car's handling to the magnitude you are describing. Not a dig, a genuine question. Thanks.

May I ask, how does the engine mounts' replacement affect the handling so much? I do appreciate there is less engine movement and that can only be good but I can't see how this enhances our car's handling to the magnitude you are describing. Not a dig, a genuine question. Thanks.

It really does make that much difference Yiannis. The oem mounts allow quite a lot of engine movement which results in weight transfer when cornering hard. As you know the Clio handles very well out the box but when you fit uprated mounts you can really appreciate the difference.

You've been in my old Clio so know how well the car handled, I did have the Vibra-Technics Group N mounts which were even less forgiving but you get the idea. :smile:

Nice one Angel, yes indeed I've had a passenger ride in your old clio but tbh I was so shocked by the power that I didn't pay any attention to the handling lol!

Which set in your opinion has greater handling effect? Engine mount or the front arm/ARB? I suspect the latter, being an actual part of the suspension?

Greater handling effect is definitely the lower arm bushes. In your case with your AST's the std non adjustable front arm bush is adequate as you don't need the camber adjustment. The anti lift castor adjustable front rear arm bush goes very well and if you set it at the maximum 6° castor combined with 1.5 neg camber from your top mounts you'd have an amazing set up. The turn in is so much more precise and sharper.

I had the anti roll bar bushes to along with all the Ultra Racing braces so it really is a combination of parts as you know with these cars.

The B road ride was harsh with that set up but on A roads and track it was an animal, I'm sure [MENTION=522]Robo_#1[/MENTION] can tell you how close we stuck to the arse of the Swisswax AM Virage in the twisties (much to their surprise) :wink:

Good stuff mate! I've been trying to convince myself that I need this upgrade in my life, my car is stiff as it is with the track setup ASTs, RARB and front strut brace, a bit harsher won't make a difference lol.

As you said, no need for the camber adjustable ones as I'm already running 2.1 negative but the castor ones is a must. It would be ideal to change the ARB bushes at the same time I guess. Do they also do a set for the back axle mate? If so, did you have them fitted on your Clio?

You can get the rear beam bushes but we never got round to fitting them. With the Ultra Racing rear arb the back end was stiff enough already and very controllable when it started to break away on the limit. Any stiffer and I think we'd have upset the balance. If I didn't have the UR rear arb or it was just a track car then the rear bushes would've gone on for sure

True. There is always a limit of how stiff you can go at the rear before it becomes dangerous and I'm running stiff with the 110nm springs as it is. I think I'll give the beam bushes a miss then.

I'll let you know (obviously) when I'm about to order mate. Need to do some other bits and pieces to my car and I want to do everything in one go:smile: My local garage is not local any more so the less visits the better:smile:

No worries Yiannis. and yes with those rear springs id give it a miss too.

I'm popping down your way sometime in the next month so I'll drop by :smile:

[MENTION=1272]Fernandez[/MENTION] hi, do you know how many hours labour I would be looking at to fit all 3 mounts ( upper, lower and torque arm)?
thanks

Fernandez answered this I guess :smiley:

Does anyone have just the torque mount bushing fitted? My oem one is split and I'm looking to replace it, I'm ok with some vibration but not beyond a daily driver amount. Thanks

Well mount is installed but the vibration is quite significant right now, really hoping it calms down a bit. I am very pleased with how the car drives now though. Feels more stable, gear changes are smother and easier! My mount was quite bad so it's made a huge difference to the car