Powder coating calipers

I don't know too much, but I do know that the quality of the finish is awesome. I also know they heat the surface up to about 200 degrees C during the process.. Some say it can weaken your brakes/wheels - others swear it doesn't....

I'm going to get my brakes powder coated soon. I'm gonna pay slightly over the odds to have it done by Renault, because they'll fully remove and strip down the brakes.

Also, if anything goes wrong - they're to blame lol and they'll want me back in a few years to buy another Renault, no doubt. :wink:

Bearing in mind that on track, the callipers can get well over 600°C, I wouldn't worry about 200°C.

That goes for the wheels too. Don't forget that they're bolted to the disks, so a lot of that temp is going straight onto the wheel. If there was any problem getting wheels that hot, we'd all be driving around on our hubs by now.

powder coating is a outdated process for hi temp applications

get them zinc coated.

Look amazing too.

STOP, STOP, STOP. Before you go any further please stop saying shot blasting, if you shot blasted the brembos you'd have nothing left to have powder coated :rofl:

You'd be safer with media blasting or soda blasting, a lot kinder to them, should remove the paint without damage.

I'm not sure it'd be a good idea using sand blasting without blocking all the pipe holes/piston holes up first.

Might be a job for the profesionals, not bodie and doyle but try these people.

Bearing in mind that on track, the callipers can get well over 600°C, I wouldn't worry about 200°C.

That goes for the wheels too. Don't forget that they're bolted to the disks, so a lot of that temp is going straight onto the wheel. If there was any problem getting wheels that hot, we'd all be driving around on our hubs by now.

This is sort of true, yes your pads and disks get to that sort of temp but your callipers do not. If they did all the seals within the callipers would melt, oil would exit, air would enter, brakes would fail. The seals just wouldn't take that sort of temp. This isn't a thing I heard from a source who heard it from someone else, I know what material the seals are made from and Plastic/rubber properties is someone I'm heavily involved in through work. Your wheel would take anywhere near that sort of temp either, aluminium is molten at 660 degrees so would become unstable way before that.

STOP, STOP, STOP. Before you go any further please stop saying shot blasting, if you shot blasted the brembos you'd have nothing left to have powder coated :rofl:

You'd be safer with media blasting or soda blasting, a lot kinder to them, should remove the paint without damage.

I'm not sure it'd be a good idea using sand blasting without blocking all the pipe holes/piston holes up first.

Might be a job for the profesionals, not bodie and doyle but try these people.

Just make the people you use aware of the material underneath, it's all about grit/bead selection :smile:

powder coating is a outdated process for hi temp applications

get them zinc coated.

Look amazing too.

Stove glazing/enamelling is one way to go, it's basically what they do to an oven. It's hard as granite and takes a high temp :smile:

This is sort of true, yes your pads and disks get to that sort of temp but your callipers do not. If they did all the seals within the callipers would melt, oil would exit, air would enter, brakes would fail. The seals just wouldn't take that sort of temp. This isn't a thing I heard from a source who heard it from someone else, I know what material the seals are made from and Plastic/rubber properties is someone I'm heavily involved in through work. Your wheel would take anywhere near that sort of temp either, aluminium is molten at 660 degrees so would become unstable way before that.

I wasn't just making it up either. I know someone that uses high temp colour change paint on his track car's callipers. The paint changes colour at 600°C so if it didn't reach that temp, it wouldn't have changed colour, but it did, so it must have been at least in that region, if not exactly that temp.

And I wasn't meaning that your entire wheels will completely heat up to that temp, or for any length of time, as obviously that isn't going to happen, but the mounting face will be repeatedly subjected to temps well over 100°C for short periods.