Powder coating calipers

vivid white

Platinum Member
Hi all,

when I first brought my car it had red (hammerite) painted calipers which were not in very good condition so I decided when I had my wheels off to get them powder coated I would work at them and take all the paint off and get them back to silver.

I really did like them red and would like it again but I would like them powder coating.....

What's involved with this? I.e. Is it just take them off powder coat and refit them or do bits get destroyed in the process and need replacing?

Thanks
James

I don't know too much, but I do know that the quality of the finish is awesome. I also know they heat the surface up to about 200 degrees C during the process.. Some say it can weaken your brakes/wheels - others swear it doesn't....

I'm going to get my brakes powder coated soon. I'm gonna pay slightly over the odds to have it done by Renault, because they'll fully remove and strip down the brakes.

Also, if anything goes wrong - they're to blame lol and they'll want me back in a few years to buy another Renault, no doubt. :wink:

you will need to fully strip them down and make sure the powder coaters know what needs doing and what needs masking but after that its easy

Its probably more than I am capable of doing then....I have read that seals need to be replaced etc. I have some knowledge when it comes to this sort of thing but stripping brakes down sounds like it could be a nightmare.

I have tried the hammerite route but really didnt get a finish I was happy with so took it off again.

Any suggestions/ideas? Thanks for the comments so far.

James

Its easy if you know what you're doing. But don't attempt it if you don't. As others have said you need to completely strip the calipers leaving no seals in place. Powder coating involes heating the part upto around 250 degree iirc hence why you need to remove the seals.

I personally think powder coating is the best way to paint calipers, most powder coating firms will have a shot blaster to remove the old stuff. I did this on our 182 and they came out great, and I changed all the seals at the same time

I would love to have it done but not very confident when it comes to brakes etc. Anything else I would probably have a go at but brakes are pretty important :smile:

Wish there was someone local to me who could help with it.

I would love to have it done but not very confident when it comes to brakes etc. Anything else I would probably have a go at but brakes are pretty important :smile:

Wish there was someone local to me who could help with it.

To be honest I'm down the road from you mate, I live just off J21 of the M1 in Leicester, I can help you out with local firms that will do the powder coating etc. I might be able to spare a little time to go through things with you, depending how things are with my work and my degree work :smile:

To be honest I'm down the road from you mate, I live just off J21 of the M1 in Leicester, I can help you out with local firms that will do the powder coating etc. I might be able to spare a little time to go through things with you, depending how things are with my work and my degree work :smile:

Shouldnt have said that...................any spare time you had you have now lost hahaha.

Thanks for that it would be very much appreciated. Who do you suggest when it comes to powder coating?

Again thanks for the offer.
James

If you're gonna do it yourself, how you going to heat it to 200 degrees C?

Chuck them into a log burner and hope thats enough. :thumbdown:

Sorry I didnt mean do the powder coating myself I ment actually getting them powder coated (by professionals) but im not confident with the rebuilding.

James

If you're gonna do it yourself, how you going to heat it to 200 degrees C?

You can't do the stages before that, when you powder coat with it has to be hung on a framework that is earthed back to the gun throughing out the powder. When the powder is "sprayed" on the particles are given a slight electrical charge by the gun making them stick to the part being caoted. At this point the coating would just rub off, it takes the heating process to "melt" the powder which then sets hard.

Just a bit of a how they do that for y'all :smile:

Although to be fair a standard kitchen overn will go to 220 degrees :wink:

Shouldnt have said that...................any spare time you had you have now lost hahaha.

Thanks for that it would be very much appreciated. Who do you suggest when it comes to powder coating?

Again thanks for the offer.
James

I used a company called Darrenpalm which are on the north side of the city, I cant remember if they have a shot blaster as I did that bit myself (the place I worked at the time had a shot blaster)

I used a company called Darrenpalm which are on the north side of the city, I cant remember if they have a shot blaster as I did that bit myself (the place I worked at the time had a shot blaster)

Thanks mate. I'll have a word with them and see what it'll cost to get them coated.

Thanks
James

£16 per caliper?! Blimey! I'd drive up north for that. Best quote I've had is £216!

What's the quality like? Did they do the whole caliper?? Did they remove them first? Have they chipped?