Poor accident repair. Advice wanted

matt9566

Paid Member
Hi Everyone,

Thought i'd just write a quick post to get a bit of info/advice, in June last year (1 month in to ownership) someone hit a car behind me at some traffic lights which caused the car to hit me and make a small bit of damage to my back bumper. Long story short, the car went in for repair, back bumper repaired, resprayed and new R27 decal fitted. Was fairly happy with the service and the repair work looked good, however recently I've noticed the back bumper looking quite dull and off coloured compared to the rest of the car.

I have spoke to my insurance who says the repair centre should collect the car, provide me with a courtesy car and rectify the work. They are now arranging for someone to come and have a look at the car, I can only assume to see if they are in the wrong and need to fix it.

My car is a red R27, does anyone else have any colour difference as the bumpers are plastic (i think) Just wanting to make sure I have an argument if they say it looks ok and don't want to do the work. It is something that really bugs me and never noticed before the repair work.

Thanks!

I had a red R27, there was no noticable difference between the plastics and the body. Does it show up on photos? If so put a pic up.

Yes put up a picture, try to get it in a good light, red can be a tricky colour to match depending on the age of the car as its prone to fading.

IMG_4550_zpstxn27e5u.png

IMG_4555_zpszh2lldq7.jpg

I can really get a good picture, it's not too bad in some lights. But other light it looks a lot more dull and less vibrant to the rest of the paintwork

Bloody hell, it's like they picked a random colour!

You've certainly got grounds to have that worted out I would have thought!

Thanks, I'm a bit hopeless with all this kinda stuff. I'd just got the car when it happened and was pretty clueless tbh, so when I got it back I just expected it to be ok. However it has got a lot worse/noticeable recently since I've started paying a lot more attention to the car.
They are apparently ringing me from the repair centre to arrange to come see it so I will show them and explain exactly what you have said, hopefully there will be no questions asked and it will get sorted.

Thanks again.

It's noticeable yeah. Send it back til it's right. It happens. You're not on your own with this kind of thing. Lad at work sent his back 3 times.

I rejected my wifes car twice when it went in for repair with just car clinic and once when VW main dealers did it. First time was for colour match, second for poor workmanship then both in one go at VW!

That is pretty poor really, considering it's an insurance job. I don't blame you for not noticing it straight away - you were probably just relieved to get your car back. Hope you get it sorted - but don't give in until you are 100% happy.

Ouch that's a horrible colour match!

As others have said, it's a non-fault accident, just keep perusing until you get the desired result!

Following a non fault accident you should be left in the same position as you were in prior to the accident so as said keep asking until it's sorted.

It's been over a year...I'll be surprised if they don't tell you to jog on.

It's my own fault really, I didn't even take that much notice when it was done if I'm entirely honest. I did read somewhere that the company gave paintwork guarantee for a couple of years, how true it was I'm not sure.
They should be contacting me tomorrow and the woman on the phone said that someone would come out and look at it.

You wouldn't get a repair anywhere else or at a dealer and expect it to only last a year.

It's been over a year...I'll be surprised if they don't tell you to jog on.

I'm thinking this.

Don't mean to bring a downer, but we have to think realistic. They're options are to argue that it's not the same bumper that they repaired and that you may have swapped it out for a free colour match or that you should have rejected the car after the repair, rather than accept it.

Really shyte job really, I would have noticed this first thing... Hope you get it sorted anyway mate, hate feeling helpless too.

That's is a shocking colour match! I couldn't imagine it was this bad when you got it back after the repair ! Although you wanted the car back you would have not accepted that. I would stand my ground tho. It is along time after they painted it but must be ###$$ paint to fade like that. If they don't rectify it I would bite the bullet and get it sorted as it is a poor match. Hope they agree to fix it for you.