Petrol

No this isn't a rant thread about the prices of it hahah

Just a thread to see if I'm supposed to be putting Super Unleaded in my 197, as i've heard your supposed to??

Then my Dad got me worried a bit saying that if you don't and you are meant to then it would mess up the valve's or something?

Anyone shed any light?

Cheers

Only put super in mine every 4th fill never had a problem with normal stuff

Poverty (:wink:) fuel is a no go for me. The 200 has always had higher octane.. Mainly because I noticed a difference in my 182 although it was mapped for 97ron

I bought the car 7 months ago and I'd feed it normal petrol, after one month the engine management light would flash for 10-15 secs then go off (and that was quite often). Took it to 2 dealers, one said it's the plugs (BS) and the other said that the fuel injectors needed reprogramming (BS again). So I showed them the finger, had a nose around forums, started using momentum 99 and boom....MAGIC, engine management light never showed up again! Happy man:smile:

Last edited:
They recommend elf oil
They recommend only use orig parts
How many do?????

Read under the fuel flap. I only use 99, momentum is the best. Car runs better on it, but the car should be ok on normal.

I noticed on my filler cap it also says 95 or 97 so assumed the RS197 management brain could detect the octane rating and then adjust the timing, although at moment I still have a 5p off per litre token with tesco and that brings momentum down to £134.9 so same price as for normal.

But next tank I was going to try the 95 and see how it runs, but like with the supers you still need to stick to a good quality regular petrol as even the ones stating 95 if you the work out the RON/MON they actually come out at 93 octane which would explain bad running, I need to check what Tesco regular is, but probably use Shell regular as same price and I know they use good additives to help with keeping things clean and their ratings are what they say they are.

Its been covered many times. The Clio is able to "learn" the fuel type and will adjust accordingly. Ultimately it all boils down to next to nothing in difference as the higher octane will return slightly better MPG and cancel out most of the price difference so the cheaper fuel is a false economy on these cars.

I use tesco 95 in the 197 and have never had any problems in 1.5 years and 23,000 mile however I did kill a fuel pump by buying dodgy fuel when out in the sticks :worried:

If the ECU learns and remaps then mpg should be good on either, but the higher octane would allow for the best possible BHP/Torque output due to the engine being able to run more aggressive timing before pinking. So for a trackday use the 98/99, but everyday driving the lower octane would suffice and from previous research on fuels all supers are based on the base fuel and basically had octane booster added along with cleaning additives.

While I lived out in the middle east I had a Mustang S197 which I modified to 580RWHP and the best petrol you could get was actually 92.5 octane even though they say it was 95 and the custom tunes I was running were setup for 93 octane and that run perfectly.

I just got back from filling up and rather than go with momentum 99 I went with the 95 as I got that for £1.29 per litre, so I'll see how many miles and how it runs over the next 2 weeks and if things seem bad I can add some octane booster manually.

This fill-up saved me £3.00 over the super and that does add up at the end of year with bi-weekly fill-up (approx £84), that could have gone towards some new shiny parts for the car :smile:

Last edited:
Its been covered many times. The Clio is able to "learn" the fuel type and will adjust accordingly. Ultimately it all boils down to next to nothing in difference as the higher octane will return slightly better MPG and cancel out most of the price difference so the cheaper fuel is a false economy on these cars.

If the ECU learns and remaps then mpg should be good on either, but the higher octane would allow for the best possible BHP/Torque output due to the engine being able to run more aggressive timing before pinking. So for a trackday use the 98/99, but everyday driving the lower octane would suffice and from previous research on fuels all supers are based on the base fuel and basically had octane booster added along with cleaning additives.

While I lived out in the middle east I had a Mustang S197 which I modified to 580RWHP and the best petrol you could get was actually 92.5 octane even though they say it was 95 and the custom tunes I was running were setup for 93 octane and that run perfectly.

I just got back from filling up and rather than go with momentum 99 I went with the 95 as I got that for £1.29 per litre, so I'll see how many miles and how it runs over the next 2 weeks and if things seem bad I can add some octane booster manually.

This fill-up saved me £3.00 over the super and that does add up at the end of year with bi-weekly fill-up (approx £84), that could have gone towards some new shiny parts for the car :smile:

like most modern engines the fr4 runs a knock sensor and this is the main reason for the ecu is able to alter the timing many times a second for the changes in fuel quality - retarded timing = less torque/power

so you are in theory always better off using higher octane fuel....but if you mainly drive round town and never give it much stick under load then the lower octane should be fine - will there be a mpg difference - it will be there but a slight change in driving style has more influence on mpg then just octane rating

^ I agree. I'm running on 95ron this week as I filled up to go camping, so was going to be motorway crunching. Car returned 35mpg sat at 80mph most of the time.

I usually fill with super market super unleaded as I do a tank a week getting to work - never had any problems.

Rich

like most modern engines the fr4 runs a knock sensor and this is the main reason for the ecu is able to alter the timing many times a second for the changes in fuel quality - retarded timing = less torque/power

so you are in theory always better off using higher octane fuel....but if you mainly drive round town and never give it much stick under load then the lower octane should be fine - will there be a mpg difference - it will be there but a slight change in driving style has more influence on mpg then just octane rating

^^^ agree mine only does 5 miles a day in the wk
But when it goes on the motorway it gets 33-35 instead of the 22.7 it gets on a daily run