Owners beware

I just found this on the 200. 20k miles.

What is that?
photo1.jpg

Oh yeah. It's the bonnet striker bolt.
photo2.jpg

Clean paint with no indication a socket has touched it. No idea what happened.
photo3.jpg

Imagine if both fell off!!!

good job the paint is nice and thick to hold the bonnet catch on when the retaining bolts drop out...

so under the bonnet isnt checked regularly then :innocent:

might be a good idea to go round with a spanner on a few critical bolts/nuts :blink:

I don't tend to clean and check the mechanism more than twice a year. I didn't notice it when I changed the oil last month.

At least my wheels are torqued up properly.

Hope none of my mates see this, i keep getting ribbed about my car being french and bits falling off :blink:

Wow, not seen that one before!

Would be worth forwarding that to RUK so they can investigate, might stop this happening to anyone else

Just stick some photos up on the RUK forum then, even if you don't want to take it to the dealer (don't blame you!) then it's something for them to work on. If they don't get told about these problems then they can't develop our renaultsports into better cars!

It's already on there. Will see if they say anything.

I think it's just one of those things. Nothing is perfect.

Wasn't there a problem with early 172s where the catch would rust or break and the bonnet would wrap around the windscreen at speed?

Lol ^^^

Wasn't there a problem with early 172s where the catch would rust or break and the bonnet would wrap around the windscreen at speed?
Yeah! It was MK2 clios of old in general - loads had to be recalled IIRC. Their bonnets had a tendancy of opening at about 70 MPH. It was on watch dog back at the time... :rofl:

I've just bought a 172 - if I stop posting - you know why.