Orange GT86

Rather than hijack the 200T comparison thread I thought I'd better start a new one...

Had my 86 for just over 3months now and I have loved every minute of it.

When I first picked up the 200 I did like it but it took a while for it to really grow on me. No such problems with the 86. It feels more special to look at and drive. It is almost identical to the 200 in terms of pace but you can feel quite a difference being pushed rather than pulled. It is almost as practical too! I can fit a 23" 29er mountain bike in with the back seats folded down. At most I can only take one passenger though as there is no room whatsoever behind me but the space in the back is handy.

Although it was definitely more expensive to buy than my 200 , it gets better mpg, road tax is less and insurance was half (perhaps more down to getting older though!).

I'm yet to change anything on it other than putting a tyre off a lego wheel over the volume knob to make it easier to change volume! I'd like to do a few things but saving for a house deposit is more important just now. A cheap one though would be to wrap the middle of the front bumper and maybe the A-pillars too but rumour has it that my insurer won't like it (esure). Not asked them myself yet though.

I'm not a massive fan of the wheels or spoiler. I like the TRD spoiler but its likely to cost around £500 to have it imported, painted and fitted. I intend to keep it a long time so there is no rush!

66AA583C-4E4C-4D2C-AEA1-1252F735E00D-5670-000005CCE3A87507.jpg

14A5F3AC-BB7D-4267-B4F0-E6F2287DFC5E-5670-000005CCD6F1FCC8.jpg

56DA5A78-C274-4FF6-9E4D-38C0FE82266B-14503-00000D17F2D5C55F.jpg

Love it.

Though if I was to get an 86 it'd be red and Scoob blue for the BRZ.

As for the rear seats, theres a guy over on the GT86 forums and he says he has comfortably fitted a baby seat in the rear. This appeals to me as we have 1 little 'un and might have another in the not too distant future, so it can be a family car also.

I agree about the wheels and spoiler. The spoiler would be the first thing I do (I'd remove it completely and fill the holes as I like it best without a spoiler).

Wheels? They'd have to be Volk TE37s but I'd probably go for Rota Grids tbh as they are much much cheaper.

Really like these, had a test drive in a dark grey coloured one before getting the clio.

Ultimately I felt it didn't warrant the extra £7k over the 200 (Plus how ever much a new set of wheels would be). Keeping an eye on used prices though.

Love it.

Though if I was to get an 86 it'd be red and Scoob blue for the BRZ.

As for the rear seats, theres a guy over on the GT86 forums and he says he has comfortably fitted a baby seat in the rear. This appeals to me as we have 1 little 'un and might have another in the not too distant future, so it can be a family car also.

I agree about the wheels and spoiler. The spoiler would be the first thing I do (I'd remove it completely and fill the holes as I like it best without a spoiler).

Wheels? They'd have to be Volk TE37s but I'd probably go for Rota Grids tbh as they are much much cheaper.

I was close to ordering a new red one but realised there were good savings on nealy new ones and I liked the orange in person. I think the red would look really good with some black on red mods though. I test drove a blue BRZ and I did like it but I didn't think it was worth having to pay a couple of grand more just to get the blue! Plus the clio was blue so it was time for a change.

I like your thinking on the spoiler (or lack of) and wheels. The FRSs look good without a spoiler. I was thinking it might be quite expensive to get the holes filled and painted though. When i was thinking about buying new, I looked into ordering one without a spoiler but its not an option unfortunately. Rota Grids are nice, a few guys on the gt86ownersclub forum have them.

Hoping I get to see some modified ones at the end of the month as I've been invited by the dealer to a GT86 track day at knockhill where they provide the cars!

Last edited:
Love these cars. I'd leave the front lip and a pillars as they are mate. The picture above looks like something is missing.

This one here gets me wet:

773720_390196604404903_492436034_o_zps86b14031.jpg

739885_390232771067953_407422625_o_zps3b8ae24a.jpg

They are sexy looking cars standard but a little bit of tweaking can make it awesome.

Mother of god that things f*cking delicious Noddie! I really want one of these next, I was looking on the trader earlier and they're going for £23kish pre-reg (BRZ in mica blue).

Orange is the right colour choice for the 86 aspen, I hated it at first and now its the one I would go for lol!

Mother of god that things f*cking delicious Noddie! I really want one of these next, I was looking on the trader earlier and they're going for £23kish pre-reg (BRZ in mica blue).

Orange is the right colour choice for the 86 aspen, I hated it at first and now its the one I would go for lol!

Thanks. I wasn't convinced either until I saw it in person. The paint chips a little easily but glad I ended up with orange.

Whoever designed the OEM wheels on these should be punched repeatedly in the face with a stapler while shouting "NO, NO, BAD DESIGNER, BAD!"

Change the wheels and they're beautiful, someone at work got one and everytime I see it or one of them I think "oh they do look nice" and then I see the wheels and want to tear my eyes from their sockets.

Yeah your dead right Tom the std wheels are rancid. But they're an easy change and they transform the looks of the car.

Can't stand the standerd wheels either! Have you seen fensports development 86? Got some tasty mods on it including a much needed turbo!

Thought about one
Bit much so bought a clio 200 2 months ago for 9000
Will wait and see how much the GT86 is next year, would be happy to pay £15,000
Or more if Sound Oil shares shoot up
If they go to 50p i will have a 4C

Do like the front end of the BRZ and the Blue
But would probably still go for a second hand GT86, had mostly good time with Toyota (Fun and Wallet)