One for future reference- Steering issues 197 / 200

Discussion in 'Suspension, Brakes & Steering' started by Steve Murr, Aug 9, 2012.

1. ben_r1

ben_r1

Car:
    Evo
    I see little point in replacing the rack for £500+ if it has a service life of 30k! If the problem is there it needs to be addressed with RUK so a solution or modification can be implimented.

2. Muzz

Muzz

All the renaults I've repaired in the past for a knock on the steering have just needed the track rods replacing not the full rack. It's usually wear in the inner knuckle joint.

3. 930Tech

930Tech CLIO CUP groupee. Platinum Member

Car:
    197 CUP and most of a 197 CUP race car
    IIRC Ralphybmw fitted a 200 rack to his 197.

4. RalphyBMW

RalphyBMW

I fitted a 200 Cup rack to my 197, no issues there, the standard 200 rack is the same as the 197 rack. Despite this there was still an occasional clunk. Wasn't from the rack seemed to be from the UJ or electric motor.

5. marshall

marshall

Steve renault refuse to accept that the rack may be the cause of my problems after numerous trips to the dealership....any advice?

6. Aford197

Aford197

Car:
    Clio 197 Cup
    Just did a search for this and found immediately obviously..

My car had some this twice now in the last few months, only when going very slow, both times in a car park, at first I thought i must have been on top of something, but apparently not.. It makes multiple loud clunking noises but as said its only happened on two occasions, normally its fine..

Is this signs of the above, would it be worth starting with the rod ends?

The car is lowered, not sure if this makes a difference

7. Tuck

Tuck

Car:
    Clio 200 FF
    Mine knocked a bit in the summer, just took off the UJ and put it back on tightened it a heap. It's fine now!

8. aaron-rs197

aaron-rs197

Car:
    MK5 Golf GTI DSG
    i have no knocks or clunking but a slight creaking (like an old spring mattress) when turning lock to lock or when stop/starting in slow moving traffic.. is that the rack on its way out or something else?

Last edited: Sep 23, 2014
  9. ChrisBilsby

ChrisBilsby

Car:
    Renault Clio RS 197
    I had a creaking when steering lock to lock at certain angles. Turned out to be a worn track rod end that was moving about in the tapered sleeve in the hub. Since it has been replaced I have had no problems!

10. Brows

Brows

Car:
    White 197 Cup
    My car has been sat at the dealers, awaiting a new steering rack for the past 5 weeks
    All I'm being told is that it's on back order from France and there is no estimated delivery!

I'm getting fed up now to be honest. Luckily I took out extended warranty so it's covered, and I have a courtesy car thankfully
    But I'm not being able to drive the car I bought and want

Does anyone here know what the delay is? As the dealer is not giving me any more information
    How can a part be taking so long?

I've already had a new exhaust manifold replaced under warranty last year
    So in those two faults you're talking about £2.5k in repairs in a year of ownership

It's had other issues too, but these are the main ones

Please can anyone shed any light or advise me my next move

Thanks

11. -Eddie-

-Eddie- Missing In Action Paid Member

Car:
    200 Cup
    If you want more information on the delay, contact Renault Customer Services.

12. Brows

Brows

Car:
    White 197 Cup
    Thanks mate, will be doing this tomorrow, just thought someone on here might also be experiencing something similar
    Cheers

13. -Eddie-

Car:
    200 Cup
    The chances of the dealer knowing what's causing the hold up are very slim. I was recently dealing with a customer who wanted w new sunroof in her Clio 2, it was back order for months before it randomly showed up. It's one of those things unfortunately :worried:.

14. Brows

Brows

Car:
    White 197 Cup
    So I hve been in contact with Renault UK

Ive asked what the delay is, and what is the estimated date one will be ready

Just been contacted back by Renault and here's what they say

"after making extensive enquiries, I have been unable to find out the reason for the delay, and also i'm unable to give any details on an estimated delivery date"

In my opinion this is simply not good enough, I've had nothing but issues since owning the car for 14 months. And now my car is sat at the dealers so far for 5 weeks and God knows how much longer.

If a manager at Renault UK cannot give me any more information, what hope do I have?

15. Brows

Brows

Car:
    White 197 Cup
    Car is back on the road now feels so much better

16. montana

montana

Car:
    Deep Black 197
    What was the outcome / reason for delay ?

17. Brows

Brows

Car:
    White 197 Cup
    Hi mate
    No reason given or known, for the delay. On Thursday out of the blue, the dealer rings saying my car is being worked on, as the part has arrived!!
    Renault UK had called me Thursday morning, to tell me they couldn't find out any more information either, and would call me in a week!
    3 hours later I got the call saying it's now in stock

Yesterday morning I get a phonecall saying it's ready!!

All good now and back enjoying the car again

18. Rogue

Rogue Platinum Member

Car:
    Boosted R27
    I would start searching MD's and directors to email. Start using social media to voice your complaint.

Keep at it, things will happen.

19. -Eddie-

Car:
    200 Cup
    That's the way a lot of back order parts work.

There's no sign of it for weeks on end, Renault parts can't get an ETA for delivery then all of a sudden it'll arrive in one day.

20. VolumeX

VolumeX

Car:
    Clio mk3 197 & 200 20th
    Oh crap, mines just started doing this, a real bad knock and I feel its the rack, the handling has gone to the dogs... :worried: