Once again the clio suprises me with another problem...

So, gone out to my car tonight to pop to tescos and got in, foot on the brake and press the start button and......nothing, just a click.

On the dashboard a message flashes up STEERING NOT LOCKED. So I turn everything off, get the steering lock to click into place and try again and......nothing, just a click.

So I tested the battery and was fine so try again and all im getting is a clicking coming from the engine.

Im pretty certain its going to be the starter motor but anyone else had this problem...going to be ringing Renault in the morning to see what they can do.

Probably sweet FA but its worth putting the call in.

I think I read on the RS forum a while ago that it’s to do with steering lock, if I remember correctly you have to pull the steering wheel to the left and press the start button at the same time.

Have you tried the card in the slot.?
You never know with these French.

moving the steering to make sure the steering lock has gone on - then try to start it again - you should hear the lock "click" off

I think I read on the RS forum a while ago that it’s to do with steering lock, if I remember correctly you have to pull the steering wheel to the left and press the start button at the same time.

exactly right we had a scenic that used to do it. it's one of things it didn't happen that often it's just the first time it does it your left clueless.

cheers guys, will try it this morning and will then attempt to get off my drive. Probably not going to result in much happening apart from lots of wheel spinning adnd the traction control button going mad.

mine did this a while ago... i was like ermmmm WTF? lol, but yer i did the above and that made it work. gota love french cars!

Those auto dash messages are a pain in the arse if you ask me. Just go back to the good old days of an oil pressure and batt charge warning light only!

if i can remember my did this when i first brought mine, i thought at the time that it was because i had the steering lock on full lock, it only did now and again. Then i realised a while that the steering lock had broke and it wouldnt lock after pulling the card out of the slot. renault had it, fixed the steering lock, and i can say i havent had problem with the steering lock since or the unlocking problem.

if i can remember my did this when i first brought mine, i thought at the time that it was because i had the steering lock on full lock, it only did now and again. Then i realised a while that the steering lock had broke and it wouldnt lock after pulling the card out of the slot. renault had it, fixed the steering lock, and i can say i havent had problem with the steering lock since or the unlocking problem.

As usual mate Renault had it and said they cant find a fau;t with it. Got my service at the beginning of next yr so when it goes in im going to tell them that im not having the car back until everything is sorted.