Oil

There are a few options available, but in general the most common are OEM Elf and also MTL Redline. There are some good threads on the forum if you want to do a search. Capacity is 2 litres.
[MENTION=205]oilman[/MENTION] can help with some recommendations.

Thx,seems like what i choose is good++(fuchs sintofluid75w80)
And 2 liters:smile:
If anyone has bad experience/ heard any bad on this oil ill like to know! Thx fellas finally helpfull forum

Last edited:
Elf Tranself 'NFP' or Redline for me, cut and paste from another post I made:

TB Rich said:
The later ELF Tranself NFP 75w80 seems like the one to get. Orginally Renault specified Tranself NFJ - which is a semi-synth and generally not very good, it's for 'low-loaded' gearboxes. NFP is fully synth and has a lot better specs including potassium borate which is a nanotechnology, intended for 'super high-loaded' boxes, including the 275 boxes with diffs etc.

Redline MTL seems well regarded, good pour point like NFP but it's a bit high (thick) on the viscosity at temp. Probably good for older/noisey boxes I expect - it would be my second choice for sure, it's a true GL4 so no issues with our brass syncros. But I've just had a rebuild so going with NFP first.

The other one people recommend on here, Fuchs Sintofluid. Well vs NFP & Redline it has worse pour point and sits in the middle of them in viscosity at temp. I think it's interesting that that new NFP vs NFJ is thinner, hence my reluctance to use the Redline or Fuchs as they are both thicker than NFJ, not thinner. Any way there is no compelling reason to by Fuchs, it's either NFP or Redline really.

I actually have Fuchs in my box right now for the last 12-18monts, it made no difference to cold start selection (which is why I changed) and obvioulsy now I've suffered 4th gear synchro failure with it :worried:

Since then I've got my new rebuilt box on and Elf NFP in there, silky as hell! Nicest feeling and change since I've owned the car (from 13k).

Elf NFP in there, silky as hell! Nicest feeling and change since I've owned the car (from 13k).

Good to know this about the Elf NFP. It was the conclusion I came to that it would likely be the better oil once all the specs were compared. The link to the thread I posted above covers most of my thinking out loud.

Do you know when it was first produced by Elf? As my 200 was built in 2012 I'm guessing it's still got NFJ in the 'box and it might be a good idea to swap it for NFP ASAP.

They sell redline and others too...
I also had corsa opc b4 and iknow this oil is great many ppl use it
Personally i would stick with the oe but i cant get it around my location,so ill probably go with fuchs 75-80 or 75-90 motul/castrol **confused**
I just dont think 90 visc will do good to that tiny gearbox
If any1 would buy nfp and send me to here ( ill pay) it will be awesome lol

Last edited:
I have the red line in mine (mix of atf and mtf). If I am honest , doesn't feel any different in gearchanges , good piece of mind though.

They would as they don't sell Elf NFP (I think) ; )

Fair point, if we dealt with Elf, I would recommend their stuff as I know they make some good oils.

Sintofluid 75w-80 is our most popular gear oil, it's really good stuff and proven across many different cars. There are a fair few guys using it in Clios with no issues at all.

Cheers

Tim

Is anyone using the motylgear 75+90 of motul?its quite expensive but look a proper oil!

75-90's are all too thick, look at the 40 and 100 deg points. They'll all be much thicker than 75-80's.

ELF NFP is the best for these boxes, and on a worn/noisy box I think I'd go Redline.

Legend I don't know where you're based but Renault stock it..... you must have one around you?!

All garages around me doesnt bring elf's stuff anymore ,actually the importer of elf to here stopped so no supply,i think ill just go with fuchs/motyl/redline mtf .
Just didnt decide whice viscosity to go cuz in my location the weather most of the year is30 c' + and is hot!

Last edited:
if the Renault oil is so good makes you wonder why the gearboxes fall apart so easily!!!

personally I wouldn't put it in the 197/200 gearbox would rather use another make of synthetic oil...

if the Renault oil is so good makes you wonder why the gearboxes fall apart so easily!!!

personally I wouldn't put it in the 197/200 gearbox would rather use another make of synthetic oil...

Could be the Elf NFJ vs. the NFP? Seems like the spec of the old NFJ wasn't right for the 'boxes under such load. I expect most 197/200's were shipped with NFJ in the 'box.

Having now done 1500 miles in mine I have a feeling there could be a case for incidences of user error exacerbating the 'box failures. Not that I'm defending Renault's gearbox design in anyway at all. It's clearly a flawed 'box. Even more so if they shipped it throughout much of it's life with an oil not fit for purpose!

Last edited:
75-90's are all too thick, look at the 40 and 100 deg points. They'll all be much thicker than 75-80's.

ELF NFP is the best for these boxes, and on a worn/noisy box I think I'd go Redline.

Legend I don't know where you're based but Renault stock it..... you must have one around you?!

Any view on when the NFP was first produced Rich? I'm thinking most cars will have had NFJ in the 'box from new.

Yeah all 200's shipped with NFJ because that is what Reanult originally specified. It's crap oil tbh.
NFP actually had a spec revision because there were 2 sets of viscosity charts floating around. The later stuff now produced since 2012 is the better stuff and what you want.

Foxspeed, NFP is a different kettle of fish mate to NFJ oil. It is better than all the other options for our boxes.
Also the baulk rings certainly on 3rd and 4th are now steel not brass to confirm that as I've seen a few posts on this forum with uncertainty. So revisions have been made by Renault and touch wood with a much higher grade of oil and the new rings my box will be good.

Im not sure if the oil is to blame for the problems ,many people passed more then 150 k with this box and oil,personally im runing oe oil for 53k km and no problems( i have movement when i release the clutch in all gears for example going into 1st releasing the cluth and then the gearstick move abit backward i think is normal )

Last edited:
Yeah all 200's shipped with NFJ because that is what Reanult originally specified. It's crap oil tbh.
NFP actually had a spec revision because there were 2 sets of viscosity charts floating around. The later stuff now produced since 2012 is the better stuff and what you want.

Nice one Rich. Thanks for that. I may well pop down to R-Sport who are local-ish to me and have them replace the NFJ with NFP. As the 'box has under 4,000 miles, a change to NFP should see me fine.

The baulk rings, certainly on 3rd and 4th, are now steel not brass. To confirm that, as I've seen a few posts on this forum with uncertainty. So revisions have been made by Renault and touch wood with a much higher grade of oil and the new rings my box will be good.

Rich do you know when the 'boxes started shipping with steel baulk rings rather than the brass? Mine is a late (Sept) '12 car. Fingers crossed it was part of the final build run that got the steel.

Theoretically, if they now have steel rings, an oil with brass compatibility shouldn't be needed. Although to definitively find that out one would have to crack the 'box open, or it's going to be Russian roulette. I'll stick to the NFP!