Oil consumption

I've started to get problems with the oil consumption too the last months. I bought 1L oil 19/4 and I've been forced to filled in everything and I've only been driving like max 2000km...? No leak, no smoke and loss of power either. Any ideas??

I got a major engine overhaul under warranty - new piston rings, new engine head, new valves, new oil pump, new pcv valve

done 8,000km since the rebuild and no drop of oil consumed

booting from cold burns tonnes of oil, let it warm up before you drive off and see how much it consumes then

maybe worth considering putting a different make of oil in

x2 :thumbup: "normal" oils, better if I say common oils, have a very low flash point and a very low hths index. So if you hammer your Clio regularly and the oil in the engine is "old" (used / has some miles on / you have many cold starts / etc. :tongueout:) you simply must expect the oil consumption to be higher than with quality oil.

It wouldn't surprise me if 197/200 owners who use ester based oils like Motul, Silkolene, Redline, Gulf competition,....would have a very low oil consumption if they change their oil regurarly (for such a high revving engine let's say every 10k km) compared to owners who use common oils like Elf...

Yeah let her warm up properly that's really important. A litre every 4k miles should be normal if you drive it like you're supposed to.

in the handbook it states -

It is normal for an engine to use oil
for lubrication and cooling of
moving parts and it is normal to top
up the level between oil changes.
However, contact your RENAULT
Dealer if more than 0.5 litres is
being consumed every 600 miles
(1,000 km) after the running in
period.

pg 4.04 of clio3 handbook

So i'm just on the limit..:blowup:

yep - according to the handbook you are on the "limit"

you need to makes sure it is using that amount - top up to max and note miles/km - then drive it until the level is on the minimum of the dipstick - this should now be 1ltr to top up to max - check miles and will give you an
accurrate figure - but always check it at the same place/time - if not it wont be accurrate enough

mine also uses a little oil... well a lot... :smiley:
but reading here I see cause I "hammer" it when she is cold... just to hear that car roar past 5000RPM 6am on cold winter's morning is worth it tho :smiley: