Oil consumption - 1year on

Just thought id post a little information and ask a little advice.

1 year on, bought the 200 brand-spanking-new.
Engine has eaten through the complimentary litre of ELF and a litre of Castrol.
Both 5w40 fully synthetic.

Is this normal?

My daily drive is approx 5mins up and down a hill. Somedays if im lucky i get to put my foot down going up the hill :thumbup:

Occasional blasts on the motorway.

Often ragging the engine and getting the cold engine limiter as i come out of work (standing start from a junction onto a fast road!)

Can others chime in with their yearly oil consumption?

In the past all my cars have used loads of oil, my clio however doenst seem to use any at all......think they are all different tho to be fair.

have you check around the rocker cover to see if theres any slight leaks, ive got a slight leak on mine, ive had to top up twice abit ago, but it hasnt needed it since? if its brand new i would ask renault to have a look.

oil consumption can only really be compared on a "mileage" basis...so what miles have you done in it?

on what you say - it will probably have a slightly high consumption - the cold start bootfull situation...

Feel sorry for your engine, limiter with cold oil will take it's toll on any engine eventually.

On that note mines on 13k and never burns oil between services.

yea, 1st year service is due (really need to get on and book that) ive done over 8K now.
I will suggest they inspect for any leaks.

Yea i pity my engine too. but the point is its an engine and not a small child that needs to be coddled.

I used in 12k half a bottle of the elf stuff :smile:

The service is either 12k or 2 years btw. As I had mine serviced at 11months as the milage was up.

how do you think some car makers have such looonnnnnng service intervals....a top up of a few litres inbetween helps alot :001_rolleyes:

When I brought my RB new in 2009 in the 1st year I used just under a bottle but that was due too a lot of mileage I was doing at the time,had it serviced just before it was due and everything was fine had no problems what so ever