Off to manchester in the 197

Im off to Manchester to see stone roses friday :tongueout: from the midlands

what do people recommend for motorway driving? 65mph ? 35psi?
i need mpg as im going to turkey monday so need to spend little as possible other wise ill be sitting doing 80 at least (shh)

Mpg is a myth. Don't worry about it will only save a few quid

Psi is right i think

Last edited:

i need mpg as im going to turkey monday so need to spend little as possible other wise ill be sitting doing 80 at least (shh)

How far are you traveling? Unless it's hundreds of miles a few MPG isn't really going to make much difference.

For example 100 miles @ 30 mpg against 100 miles @ 25mpg would save you about £4........?

Last edited:
its 110 miles away

110 miles @ 35mpg, with fuel cost of £1.339 = £19.13 x2 (for return) = £38.26
110 miles @ 30mpg, with fuel cost of £1.339 = £22.32 x2 (for return) = £44.64
110 miles @ 25mpg, with fuel cost of £1.339 = £26.78 x2 (for return) = £53.56

Last edited:
110 miles @ 35mpg, with fuel cost of £1.339 = £19.13 x2 (for return) = £38.26
110 miles @ 30mpg, with fuel cost of £1.339 = £22.32 x2 (for return) = £44.64
110 miles @ 25mpg, with fuel cost of £1.339 = £26.78 x2 (for return) = £53.56

i wont be doing 30 on the motorway i said 70 or 65

say 65mph u will get 35mpg
and 70mph u will get 30mpg

on a 110 mile trip well it will be 220miles / 35mpg = 6.3 gallons = 28.3 litres x 1.339= £37.9

do the same change to 30 mpg and it will be £44quid

im crap at calc but i think im right

on a friday if heading north up the M6 (?) you'll be lucky to choose your speed. i'd be happy with 'moving' let alone 80!!

say hi to ian for me.

Is this thread serious?

You are driving totally the wrong car if you are worried about mpg. As others have said you will be stuck in traffic for most of it. Best cancel the holiday as its going to cost you £10 more than if you just sat at 30mpg.

You REALLY do have the wrong car! I'm really surprised how much worse the 197 is over the 1*2. I bought it thinking it was just people with heavy right foot syndrome but I used to get a genuine 40 mpg from the little cup, this 197 is 12 mpg worse on the same journey so far! I don't need to worry about the fuel cost, if you do, maybe a Fabia VRS is more up your street? No matter how you drive, it wont make a difference to your holiday cash, if it does, it will only be by a tender or so, enjoy it, or buy something more frugal!

G

Last edited:
Double post I know!

It worries me that lots of these cars, and the same can be said about any car, are falling into the hands of people that can only just afford to buy it, never mind run and service it. I found this while I was looking for mine, walked away from some nice looking cars knowing the owner had scrimped to afford it and had almost definitely scrimped on maintenance, maybe it's just me, but a LOT if the cars I viewed were like that!

G

If you are watching the speedo you aren't enjoying it at all. I found that driving it like that did nothing for wanting to keep the Clio. Only time I have tried to hyper-mile was going to Mikes for the 'Ring trip last year, bored doesn't cover it.

The fact of the matter is they do 28MPG at 85 and 30MPG at 65.... There really isn't much point. :smile:

Double post I know!

It worries me that lots of these cars, and the same can be said about any car, are falling into the hands of people that can only just afford to buy it, never mind run and service it. I found this while I was looking for mine, walked away from some nice looking cars knowing the owner had scrimped to afford it and had almost definitely scrimped on maintenance, maybe it's just me, but a LOT if the cars I viewed were like that!

G

Very true

I can afford it just wonder how much cheaper it would be lol

That wasn't a personal dig, just an observation, apologies if it read otherwise! Have you considered a Trophy? Late 30's all day long, 40 plus on a spirited motorway run.

G