numberplate rules

aaron-rs197

Paid Member
calling out to anyone that has a good knowledge of the rules and reg regarding uk numberplates. after reading through various bits of DVLA literature, i can only see that the are set rules for how big the text should be on a uk plate. doesn't seem to be any rules on how big or small the plate itself can be...

im looking at fitting an import sized (330MM x 165MM) on front of my auris instead of the usual standard 552 X 112, it will have proper sized lettering and it wont have any fancy fonts etc, just a different sized plate..

would i be breaking the law with this plate?

thanks, A

Used to use small plates on my bikes and get away with it. On the other hand I believe you are not allowed to change the size of the plate or the layout of the text . In my personal opinion if it is not massively smaller you may be lucky but you could also get an anal copper notice it and do you for it.

To be lawful the plate has to have BSau145a stamped in it to indicate it conforms. Smaller "show" plates won't have that.

The font size has to be 79mm with an upper and lower margin of at least 11mm.

Last edited:
from what i can see here: https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/359317/INF104_160914.pdf

as long as the LETTERING meets the following size requirements:

Characters must be 79mm tall
Characters (except the number 1 or letter I) must be 50mm wide
The character stroke (the thickness of the black print) must be 14mm
The space between characters must be 11mm
The space between the age identifier and the random letters must be 33mm
The margins at the top, bottom and side of the plate must be 11mm
Vertical space between the age identifier and the random numbers must be 19mm

and the following info is displayed on the plate:

The British Standard number (currently BS AU 145d)
The name, trademark or other way of identifying the manufacturer or supplier
The name and postcode of the supplying outlet

...then there doesn't appear to be any specific requirement for the size of the plate itself.. unless I am missing something...

I've just had a front plate made up for my classic Impreza Turbo which meets absolutely none of those requirements listed above, the plate is only 310mm x 83mm. It's not even reflective. Wonder how long I'll last before I'm stopped :smile:

The font is however the correct one.

Edit: I just measured it. It's smaller than I thought, by quite a bit. Characters only 62mm high, 37mm wide with a font thickness of 11mm. Having second thoughts about running this no, though it does look good. I have non-reflective plates on the Clio (legal in all other respects bar the bsau stamp) and have never once had an issue with the police.

Last edited:
I have pressed plates, which are apparently reflective. Have a postcode but nothing else. Never had a problem.

they are only illegal when either a mot tester refuses to issue a mot certificate or the police/anpr throws up an issue...