Not quite a new owner

I'm looking at getting a 197 I've seen a few around at work and checked out the reviews and I do like them. The only thing that is holding me back is the issues they seem to suffer from. I thought I'd join the forum as I have always done with any car I've had as they are the best source of honest info. I have 7k to spend which looking around gives me plenty of choice. For that money will I be able to get a good one that shouldn't go wrong or is it just down to luck of the draw?

I was in the same situation as you a few weeks ago although I had a more difficult choice. I had always wanted a Renault Sport Clio from when the 172 came out. Expensive insurance has kept me away until now...

I had always agreed that I would spend roughly about £7000. So this year I noticed a dramatic drop in my insurance premium and I naturally decided that now was the time to get the Clio 172.

With a £7000 loan lined up I was shocked/dissapointed to see that you could get a Clio 1*2 for pennies and that most of them were "Modified". I decided to have a look at what 7k could get you in the world of Clio Sport and I was amazed I could get one of the newer models.

After a bit of research between the 172, 182, 197 and the 200, the Cup and the Full Fat models and all the special models in-between, I decided on the a 200 Cup.

I chose the 200 over the rest of them mainly for the looks. So just go with what you like the look of.

I personally think that if a 197 was going to have a problem it would have developed it by now. So if you choose a 197 just make sure it has 'settled in' milage and if it has no problems then just go for it. (Note, I'm not a mechanic so I can't actually fact check any of that.)

Keep me up dated with what you get and why. I'm always interested in reading about why someone chose a particular car over another.

Oh, and of course, welcome!

Bryan

Welcome. Get a 197 they look better hehe :thumbup: I reckon you should be able to get a decent example for that money. As above, check the usual - full service history, looked after & defo cambelt major service which should be done by now really anyway (expensive job!).

Welcome to the club ... If you can stretch get a 200 great motor if not then try to get a late r27 good luck finding your new motor pal

Hi fella I've had both cars 197 @ 200 now a Meg forget the looks the 200 was so much better less problems and in cup guise it is fantastic good luck Kevin

Thanks for all the replies. I'm going to my local renault dealer see what they have. The 200 is a bit out of my price range but hopefully I'll be able to sweet talk the missus fingers crossed

I have a 200 cup and have had it for around a year now, can honestly say you won't be dissappointed (as long as you don't like luxuries such as key card a/c etc!) I luckily found my cup with added a/c so that was a bonus! I haven't found anything that will keep with mine in the twisties yet. Used to have a cooper s and thought that was good until I drove this!

In Spain you can´t get a good one for less tan 10/11.000 pounds, not euros. Good luck with your choice, a second hand car is sometimes a lotery, you know! I´m happy with my 197, but the gearbox has to be repaired now with 65.000 km.

Welcome to the club. Good luck with your search, stretch your budget a bit more and you can have Litchys liquid yellow 197, complete with Meg 250 engine and KW clubsports

I have a 200 cup and have had it for around a year now, can honestly say you won't be dissappointed (as long as you don't like luxuries such as key card a/c etc!) I luckily found my cup with added a/c so that was a bonus! I haven't found anything that will keep with mine in the twisties yet. Used to have a cooper s and thought that was good until I drove this!

A cup with A/C? Aren't you the lucky one!

Can't tell if your being sarcastic? Lol

I'm genuinely jealous. I'm not looking forward to the summer. This will be my first summer without air-conditioning and I don't fair well in the heat.

I'm going to look to see if anyone has been successful with a conversion.

I got all three haha recaros, speed lines and a/c, and I didn't even know what I'd bought until I joined the forum!