New trophy on order

With my stealth grey raider now three and half years old I was coming to the end of my current agreement and it was time to start looking.So I popped into Renault Croydon last Saturday afternoon for a bit more information,there were no demos yet but I test drove a 200T with cup chassis in LY(this demo had been months on order).Loved the colour and the car drove well(lot of low end torque compared to mine) and really enjoyed the gearbox.I couldn"t order the car officially until Monday but they came up with some ball park figures(the computer wouldn"t give a GFV)-they allowed me £10,500 on mine and then 48m at £425,about £100 more than I pay now.I said that was too much the salesman then played his ace card,they are allowed x amount of times to put through a order under friends/relatives which gives a 16% discount.As a repeat customer this brought the payments down to £300 per month-happy days.Went back to order the car yesterday in Glacia White with RS moniter and G3 paint protection,it should be a July build date and at the dealership for September.I was also given access to a internal sales alert over the launch of the Trophy with some interesting information-no demos/stock until late August!!,matt frost white paint & leather seats are a later build slot(week 35) and no gearbox upgrade to current 200T owners as "this is more than a simple gearbox map".According to Jeremy at RUK the press cars arrive this weekend.

Very nice mate, sure you will love it!

More than a simple gearbox map, bull**** I reckon lol.

Very nice mate, sure you will love it!

More than a simple gearbox map, bull**** I reckon lol.

Unluckily I expect this may well be the case.
I've been told (obviously have to take his word for this) by a Renault techie on Facebook.... that the electronic actuators are different (IE. faster) to achieve the increase in change time for race mode. Also that the clutch/s are stronger (sounds believable to me). Obviously it's not just the gearbox software that has changed, the software in the gearbox must also communicate with the engine ECU. So a fair bit more complicated than I expect it appears in the first instance.

But... as I've commented before. There would still be no reason why Renault could not tweak the software in the EDC box for current cars to add some "improvements". Obviously the current box can achieve 150ms changes in Race mode, so why not make all modes changes this fast (the actuators must already be up to it). It can only be a couple of entries in an array (IE. table) in the code somewhere. They could also use the R&D that they have done for the EDC in the Trophy, to re-calibrate the sport mode in auto... to make it more useable. As lets be honest here, it's pretty rubbish currently. Pretty much just locks out 6th gear and holds onto the lower gears longer. Responds poorly I think to the EPC in auto/sport mode.

Now will Renault do the above? I doubt it very much. As no money in it for them. A shame really.

Thanks for the comments above,regarding the gearbox the full explanation from the internal sales alert to dealerships is as follows-"You may have owners of the Clio Renaultsport Nav 200 contact you,enquiring if the gearbox map from this vehicle can be applied to their car.It is not possible to retrospectively apply these changes as the recalibration work carried out involves various different componets of the system and is more than a simple gearbox map".This supports MikeO comments above.

Fair enough then.

When the trophy is out perhaps I'll try shank mine, get it replaced under warranty nd see if they put the trophys in. Loll!

Not that its slow anyway... Race mode it's instant.

Fair enough then.

When the trophy is out perhaps I'll try shank mine, get it replaced under warranty nd see if they put the trophys in. Loll!

Not that its slow anyway... Race mode it's instant.

There's a thought.. Got VRI GAP insurance with mine and you get a new car of identical (or better spec. if my car not available at that point in time) if the car is deemed to be beyond repair within the finance period (IE. 3 years in my case). Only joking obviously :001_unsure:

Old ground I know. But still unsure myself why all the vitriol for the 200 EDC. I know it's not what some expected / wanted. But that's life... full of little disappointments. Life's all about change (not always good). It's not like it's a bad car.
O'hum... each to their own :smile:

Happy with mine :smile:

Last edited:
Unluckily I expect this may well be the case.
I've been told (obviously have to take his word for this) by a Renault techie on Facebook.... that the electronic actuators are different (IE. faster) to achieve the increase in change time for race mode. Also that the clutch/s are stronger (sounds believable to me). Obviously it's not just the gearbox software that has changed, the software in the gearbox must also communicate with the engine ECU. So a fair bit more complicated than I expect it appears in the first instance.

But... as I've commented before. There would still be no reason why Renault could not tweak the software in the EDC box for current cars to add some "improvements". Obviously the current box can achieve 150ms changes in Race mode, so why not make all modes changes this fast (the actuators must already be up to it). It can only be a couple of entries in an array (IE. table) in the code somewhere. They could also use the R&D that they have done for the EDC in the Trophy, to re-calibrate the sport mode in auto... to make it more useable. As lets be honest here, it's pretty rubbish currently. Pretty much just locks out 6th gear and holds onto the lower gears longer. Responds poorly I think to the EPC in auto/sport mode.

Now will Renault do the above? I doubt it very much. As no money in it for them. A shame really.

I find my box works fine, I don't use it in race mode either, I was also in another car on track and the box worked fine in that. Is it a case that the first cars are running different software to the newer cars?

My car is also producing 275 ftlb of torque.

If your Renault dealer is unable to flash your car to the newer? Software, try RS Tuning, they can probably flash my software to your car.

As I have also mentioned in other posts though, you need to work with the box, to get the best from it, you can work out when it is going to shift based on the revs and the load.

I love mine, I also love the extra power from RS Tuning [emoji3].

If you have a bad box/software talk to Renaultsport direct, not the dealers. You get to them through Renault customer services.

I find my box works fine, I don't use it in race mode either, I was also in another car on track and the box worked fine in that. Is it a case that the first cars are running different software to the newer cars?

My car is also producing 275 ftlb of torque.

If your Renault dealer is unable to flash your car to the newer? Software, try RS Tuning, they can probably flash my software to your car.

As I have also mentioned in other posts though, you need to work with the box, to get the best from it, you can work out when it is going to shift based on the revs and the load.

I love mine, I also love the extra power from RS Tuning [emoji3].

If you have a bad box/software talk to Renaultsport direct, not the dealers. You get to them through Renault customer services.

Womble

I think you misunderstand me mate.

I'm not saying there's anything wrong with my car, or I don't like it. Just that there's room for improvement. As demonstrated by the changes that Renault have made to the coming Trophy edition. And as commented many times before (including by RUK reps on the official RS forum) these changes involve more than just the software in the gearbox and will not be available for the stock cars.

My car isn't an earlier car, it's mid 2014 (now covered some 14k in around 12 months). And it is running the latest software in the gearbox (compiled late 2013), there is not anything later than this (confirmed both by the dealer and Renault CS).

My only real beef with the EDC box, is Renaults mapping / calibration for the sport mode in auto and I stand by what I say on that issue (IE. it's been implemented poorly). I've now driven 5 200t's, 2 earlier 2013 demos, my own car and two friends (another 2014 model and the other an early 2015) and they all work / drive the same. This is one of the things that Renault appear to have addressed in the Trophy edition (quote: "recalibrated auto/sport mode to respond better to driver input")

Overall I like my car, but as I say "there's always room for improvement".

Had a real good look over the Trophy at FoS and it looks good. The matt white is very nice, but given the choice I think i'd still pick LY. The new seats are very comfortable, more so than the Recaros. Interesting to know there's only supposed to be a limit of 500 on these but apparently Renault are thinking of pushing that up to 750.

She also said demo's are due in sometime this week or next.

I also had a good look around the one at FOS.
The seats really are stunning, such a shame they are a very expensive option! The £25k price tag is pretty extreme, especially as my local Renault never give any discount :worried:

Had a real good look over the Trophy at FoS and it looks good. The matt white is very nice, but given the choice I think i'd still pick LY. The new seats are very comfortable, more so than the Recaros. Interesting to know there's only supposed to be a limit of 500 on these but apparently Renault are thinking of pushing that up to 750.

She also said demo's are due in sometime this week or next.

Interesting to hear.

As to numbers, my guess is that they will make as many as they can sell. Thought one of the RUK CS reps on the official RS forums had already as good as said that. Be mad not to really.

Pretty sure someone also comment on the RS forums that there will be no demos till late August. Again... time will tell I suppose.

I'll be off for a test drive as soon as one appears personally.

I also had a good look around the one at FOS.
The seats really are stunning, such a shame they are a very expensive option! The £25k price tag is pretty extreme, especially as my local Renault never give any discount :worried:

25k? Thats well specced 275 trophy money (I've just brought mine at only 10 months old and 6.5k mileage)
That's some price tag and exactly why I can't see the 275 cup S being anywhere near 20k new.

25k? Thats well specced 275 trophy money (I've just brought mine at only 10 months old and 6.5k mileage)
That's some price tag and exactly why I can't see the 275 cup S being anywhere near 20k new.

No disrespect intended. But you are comparing new to 2nd hand. Always a massive difference here.
EG. My car was only some 3 months old when I bought it and I saved £5k off full retail. And yes some folks do actually pay that.
Give the Clio Trophy a few months and my guess is that similar savings will be available (law of the jungle). Bringing the price of a decently spec'd Cio trophy to sub £20k. Though a lot comes down to how many Renault actually produce in the end I suppose (IE. supply and demand).
Now whether the Clio Trophy (at any price) is a better buy than an RS Megane... is another story (individual taste etc. etc.).

Exactly. A new spec'd 275 is like 30k so it's a pointless argument.

If no one bought new cars there would be no second hand ones to buy. So people WILL pay that. - I for one. And I'm not worried about the price if I plan on keeping it 5/6 years anyway.

OMG you can get a used BMW 330i for £3k! People must be mad to buy a new one at £35k!

Also what is a 275 CUP S?

Just realised that the Megane 275 CUP S was the flame red one that I sat in at Goodwood! Will be interesting to see what price they come up with. Surely it'll be cheaper than the 275 trophy was.