Natural replacement for 197/200?

Well I went from an Astra 888 to and Insignia VXR to the Raider.

All rare in their own right and all have things they could have been improved on..... I know I miss economy, I definitely miss the turbo V6, but then love the Clios handling and matt paint

Car choice....always a tough one

Not convinced there's that many cars out there. What has changed is people would rather pay to drive them than own them.

Must admit, I think the RS focus is an incredible car. It has bags of street presence and there's plenty of tried and tested mods. Solid build quality and reasonable running costs. Prices are strong and get one in white, you'll lose very little money.

Last edited:
Still another FWD hatch though, but at least you won't lose much capital. Tis all about the new 5.0 Mustang for me next :smiley:

rs.jpg
:thumbup:

great car..you can get one for less than 20k...enough power and still room for some more..plus maybe its just me but it still looks very cool..any colour really...

I think it's down to the money again, and the fact that many still regard the 197/200 as being the better cars?

It's always difficult to compare 'Apple and Pears' with technology and general newness can influence your view. For me take the M series cars, E30 M3 considered the best M3 ever made and a good one could cost 50 grand. You can't say the same of the current crop of new M cars.

There is something about reg snobbery too, and I'm convinced some people change cars to impress their mates or the neighbours rather than being better than the car they are selling.

Also forums have a lot to answer for, it's amazing the influence they can have on people's choices on stuff.....

True... having had the joys of 300bhp in a Clio the Mk4 or Megane couldn't come anywhere near.

Mr F, and that's what surprises me why you sold it mate. Something was happening around the time when you sold yours and it was like people started to worry about trying to get their money back out of the conversion. Trust me you'll always be comparing your next car to it, and paying for the previlge.
Those who know me before the clio are shocked I've still got it. Met up with my long time friends last week who own C63 Mercs, M series and some nice stuff and I turn up in my Clio!!!
However in 30 years of driving, best car I've ever owned. Turns heads, 320bhp/350 torques, handles, brakes and all for 8.5k!! Its only pressure from work or the wife that will eventually make me sell it.

Last edited:
Mr F, and that's what surprises me why you sold it mate. Something was happening around the time when you sold yours and it was like people started to worry about trying to get their money back out of the conversion. Trust me you'll always be comparing your next car to it, and paying for the previlge.
Those who know me before the clio are shocked I've still got it. Met up with my long time friends last week who own C63 Mercs, M series and some nice stuff and I turn up in my Clio!!!
However in 30 years of driving, best car I've ever owned. Turns heads, 320bhp/350 torques, handles, brakes and all for 8.5k!! Its only pressure from work or the wife that will eventually make me sell it.

I don't compare it though and I don't regret selling it. There were many reasons for selling, the main one was that I'd lost the love for it after such a nightmare of a build. I also got to a point where 3 engines was too much, funnily enough since its been sold it's not had any problems at all but then I knew that would be the case as Id virtually replaced everything again.

I had a Lotus itch that needed scratching and I've gladly scratched it so onto something else I fancy. I would consider a return to a Clio for sure but I think it'd have to be a pure track car as that's where mine was epic.

For me the Lotus has actually been a lot cheaper, servicing, insurance, petrol and tax are all cheaper so I've not been paying for any privalige fortunately, might be different with its replacement.

Last edited:
I don't compare it though and I don't regret selling it. There were many reasons for selling, the main one was that I'd lost the love for it after such a nightmare of a build. I also got to a point where 3 engines was too much, funnily enough since its been sold it's not had any problems at all but then I knew that would be the case as Id virtually replaced everything again.

I had a Lotus itch that needed scratching and I've gladly scratched it so onto something else I fancy. I would consider a return to a Clio for sure but I think it'd have to be a pure track car as that's where mine was epic.

For me the Lotus has actually been a lot cheaper, servicing, insurance, petrol and tax are all cheaper so I've not been paying for any privalige fortunately, might be different with its replacement.

I guess everyone's got their own reasons for selling. Build was a nightmare in the end especially 3 engines in but I think we'd all do it a little different if we were gonna start again. At least you can say you done it mate, was fun whilst it lasted.

I guess everyone's got their own reasons for selling. Build was a nightmare in the end especially 3 engines in but I think we'd all do it a little different if we were gonna start again. At least you can say you done it mate, was fun whilst it lasted.

Massive fun mate and yes glad I did it. As a said if ever I wanted a pure track car it'd be a 197/200 with a meg engine.