NA v Turbo

Some great write ups and equally quality 225 conversions. I guessing the pursuit of more power won't stop there. Was on the edge of this on a few occasions, however, I'm up to my neck now going down the NA route. Its hard to argue against the power figures of the 225 conversion and equally I love how it now puts the clio in other arena's and maybe generates an interest with people from other marques who werent happy with the limited power of 197/200.

From my very current experiences at present, the 197/200 are at their maximum to start with, on the margins of their ability to gain any more power and really don't like being messed with (unless by those who know what they are doing).....enter down this route carefully!!!!

I guess we'll know more about the 225 conversions in 12 months from now. Also I do think something so intrusive as complete engine conversions will hit hard resale values or the ability to sell at all. Its definately a labour of love. The irony is my last car I supercharged but I would never buy one that was....thats moddin'. So how did I expect to sell it? lol. Funny why is it that when we describe a good car that we've bought, its "totally standard"....or original?

NA....It's a tough nut to crack but the rewards I believe are worth it....or maybe I'm being short sighted, old-fashioned and holding onto the values of NA Renaultsport Clio's.

Last edited:
NA....It's a tough nut to crack but the rewards I believe are worth it....or maybe I'm being short sighted, old-fashioned and holding onto the values of NA Renaultsport Clio's.

Welcome to my club!!! :smiley:

I'm not poo-pooing the Turbo route and I don't doubt they're rapid but for me, I prefer a hot Clio to be NA from a Valver through to a 200. It's a car I've grown up idolising, well the Bugatti EB110 was my poster car but my realisitic poster car has always been a hot Clio of one form or another. But, that's all about to change with the next Clio, so maybe my opinion will slowly start to change too as Turbo lumps continue to take over. I doubt it though, I really do. :smile:

Last edited:
Personally prefer the driving sensation of a decent NA. Its what Renault Sport is all about IMO. Just sold a mapped S3 for the 197, turbo/AWD suited the Audi perfectly but for me the Clio has to be NA.

N/A purely as I don't need any thing else it does what it said on the label no need to be messed with but that's my own personnel view

I've had several turbo cars STI's, Mazda MPS, Focus ST, 207GTi, and when I heard the Clio was going turbo I decided to buy one of the last NA engines. The car wins award after award for being a superb all round package and we'd always liked them so I thought before they maybe spoil it we would get one.

Hopefully this car will be a keeper. :biggrin:

I have always been a big n/a fan.

I had ITB's on my Saxo VTS 10 years ago, and despite having a few JDM Impreza STi's, have always ended up back at something french, n/a and hot hatch!

So for me to do the megane conversion to my 200 did split my idea. Head said turbo, heart said n/a. But i knew the only way to gain more power, easily and most importantly, reliably, was to go with the F4Rt lump.

I feel that the 200 chassis can and does take the extra power very well. So having spent a week now with the turbo clio (early days i know), i can safely say i am glad i did the conversion and thus far, have no regrets.

The great thing about the megane engine is being a modern turbo, it picks up early, and still likes to rev. You can still wring its neck. Yes the redline is some 1000rpm less, but the power never seems to drop off sharply, so you can just keep your boot in.

And as mentioned before, the reliability is key to me. As its all Renault original parts, no major aftermarket fabrication etc etc, you know its going to be just as reliable as a normal megane with a remap.

I do wish there was a nice easy way to get the same power, but even throwing 10 grand at the original engine probably wont see the 265bhp I have. And certanely not without a seriously lumpy idle and probably drive like a dog when off boost.

It would be really nice to get a few 'big power' guys together, and see what the performance results vary accross the different styles of tuning (n/a, nos, s/c, t/b etc)

I prefere N/A but the costs involved trying to get more power out of these cars makes, to me a megane conversion more economical sense.

I don't think anyone should be banned/burned at the stake for doing such a thing.

I bet in a few years time, when prices really start to fall it'll be a popular thing to do, you'll be tripping up over them on here, they'll be everywere.

Tbh what I would love to do £s allowing would to be to bin the turbo off my r26 and the air con pump and fit a rotrex in its place...
The engine would probably last 3-4 hot laps but what a bunch of laps it would be

Look at Toyota and Subaru's new venture. 2litre, 200bhp, press love it.

Everything has its place and the clio was built for corners not straights.

Would love a drive in the 225 conversion though :smile:

biggest killer for n/a is euro5 and 6 emission rules.....

you have more options (cheaper/easier) with a turbo to keep emissions under control....

but just look at porche/aston/ferrari/lamboghini etc still got n/a engines who wouldnt want a 458 revving to 9000rpm :thumbsup:

new bmw m5 turbo and they use the stereo speakers to "enahnce" the engine sound :worried:

if i could that is time/money i would build my own engine for the clio but keep it n/a - forged internals etc and headwork all built by hand just for the noise/feel of it :thumbsup:

Fox, you're kidding, right??

Unfortunately not. I believe they call it ''synthetic sound'' and they won't be the last to do it.

F?cking horrible, pathetic, un-needed over-engineering. HATE. KILL WITH FIRE.

I love the n/a but these past few weeks has made me feel a turbo ran car is better for streets , yeah the clio is superb for track but who often goes on track compared to street... The fact that 106 gti's aren't far behind you or constantly with you with mods in straight lines is pathetic tbh and there's nothing we can do about it ... Can't turbo or supercharge coz of compression ratio ... Thank god the new rs will be 1.6 turbo tbh can start having proper plays :tongueout: and companies may start working on the clios again seems since ye 197 and 200 they have just kinda gone hah **** that!