NA v Turbo

Meg 225/230 head gasket drops the compression ratio enough for forced induction

Coz I had a nice long phone call with rs ye otherday hoping I could low boost mine by time you've put meghy head on too then turbo'd it you might have well as put the fully meggy engine in ...

I love the n/a but these past few weeks has made me feel a turbo ran car is better for streets , yeah the clio is superb for track but who often goes on track compared to street... The fact that 106 gti's aren't far behind you or constantly with you with mods in straight lines is pathetic tbh and there's nothing we can do about it ... Can't turbo or supercharge coz of compression ratio ... Thank god the new rs will be 1.6 turbo tbh can start having proper plays :tongueout: and companies may start working on the clios again seems since ye 197 and 200 they have just kinda gone hah **** that!

Regarding 106gti's stock vs stock they're miles behind, the only time I've seen one keep up (for a bit) was one that was very stripped and fettled, not the kind of car you could then go and do your commute in the next day.

Regarding 106gti's stock vs stock they're miles behind, the only time I've seen one keep up (for a bit) was one that was very stripped and fettled, not the kind of car you could then go and do your commute in the next day.

Randomly i got had in a straight line by 2 different 106 GTI's yesterday (got had by one in the morning and another happend to have ago later on so wanted another go to see why i lost) and a Mini Cooper S. Not happy tbh as my old Cooper S (240bhp) was cheaper to insure than the 197! Seems everyone thinks 197's are quicker than they actually are.

Last edited:
Randomly i got had in a straight line by 2 different 106 GTI's yesterday (got had by one in the morning and another happend to have ago later on so wanted another go to see why i lost) and a Mini Cooper S. Not happy tbh as my old Cooper S (240bhp) was cheaper to insure than the 197! Seems everyone thinks 197's are quicker than they actually are.

You need to book your car into Renault for them to have a look cos I have never lost to a 106 or a Copper S, Corsa VXR or Golf GTI. One of my friends has an R32 on the twisties he cant keep up and in a straight line he is only a couple of car lengths on the clio upto silly speeds.

My mate has a rolling road, will have a couple of power runs. What should I be seeing?

You should bee seeing between 185-195bhp.

Thing with minis is they are easy to mod, so its not unusual to come accross one that will whoop the clio, fortunately that hadn't happened to me yet. Although there is a time attack mini near me that I'm sure would leave me for dead.

yea so are the 106 gti's due to not bein really touched and power to weight there quick! i think renault have thought about what theve done and kinda made the clios tamper proof..just kinda dishearting tbh the vxr corsa 192's can keep up easyenough too but all these cars that are orignally slower... have a hell of alot more tuning potential..

You should bee seeing between 185-195bhp.

Thing with minis is they are easy to mod, so its not unusual to come accross one that will whoop the clio, fortunately that hadn't happened to me yet. Although there is a time attack mini near me that I'm sure would leave me for dead.

Yes I know, I got mine to 240bhp without too much problem. 2x 106's and a Cooper S all in one day ring alarm bells though. Will get a power run asap.

ive even been in touch with stone automotive (former jms) to see if there creating an rs3 intake like the rs2 thing they made but they arnt going that route either i guess the clios are based on track cars and thats where they would dick other cars...

Interesting comments, I how ever am going down the 225 conversion route and my car is on there now! It will be back next week known from them on as a clip 297.... Lol, can't wait! Fast show and Rs day at santapod here we come!

Cant argue about the extra grunt and 265bhp must turn the clio into an animal. But it isn't all about power for me now. I thought long and hard about this months ago and decided against it. There is never enough power and after a month of driving it, you'll be looking for more. The 225/R26 was always a fast car but never enough for me to want to own one because it was never just about going fast. There will still be faster cars out there even after 265bhp. Funny cause the cars that I've raced would still have beaten me with 265bhp.

Since fitting the cams, the clio is competitive with most (in the real world) in its league and retains the clio'ness. I would agree also that NA is expensive to get gains but thats always been the case irrespective of what engine.

I've learn't the hard and expensive way to set your own bar and build your car to your expectations and not others. Plenty of people out there willing to spend your money for you. Forums can be like having a crack habit, and before you know it your into something that was never the plan and you've turned a cheap fun car into an expensive one. Also unfortunately people are not always transparent about when things go wrong but are more than willing to say when they are right.

Not for me to tell people how to spend their money but unless your planning to keep it, these cars will be almost impossible to sell (and I know you never get what you put in) just these kind of intrusive engine conversions always are. Looked at some amazing stuff for sale in magazines and pistionheads. Great to admire but the question you need to ask yourself is would you buy a clio with the conversion already done?

Each to their own but when I'm ready to step up to another league, I'll start with another car.

Last edited: