Mysterious N/S knocking noise.

Does it do it when changing gear or sudden let off

I'm having this knocking sound in my front right side when i suddenly let go the throttle while driving or when draging my ass trough traffic and then suddenly give 15-20% of throttle - I've started thinking it's the right driveshaft....:huh:

It started yesterday (maybe because of the low temperatures -4˘C? :smile: ).

mine was a lower arm link bar, the engineer said he could move it about quite easily, so i wondered why a reanault dealership technician couldnt find it.

A hollow knock from the front right at low temperatures is the upper engine mount (also called 'stabilization bar' or something similar).

This is normal, most 197s & 200s have this noise, in most cases it goes away when the engine is warmed up.

If the noise is always there, then replacing said mount will cure the problem.

However, the problem described in this thread is completely different..

Started happening with mine too now that it gets below zero. The problem is with the upper engine stabilizer bar, aparently it has some play in the rubber bushing even on new cars. So it knocks when the engine is moving until the rubber heats up a bit - that can be quite a while if it's really cold. I've read somewhere it helps greasing it up, so I did it quite thoroughly around the rubber part attached to the engine (didn't take it off though) and seems like it cured it - am knocking on wood at the moment :smile:

just to point mine sounded like it was something hitting the bulkhead like exhaust, but it was this lower arm link bar.

Sorry to pull that thread out again...

I'm starting to have a clunk/noise coming from the front.
It will only happen when going down a speed bump or "falling" in pot hole.
It will clunk/knock when the suspension detente.

If I drive hard on flat road, corner, shift, brake ect.... there is no clunk.

could the top mount rubber be the issue?

Thanks

Last edited:
The mounting usually comes in a kit. But u can buy the parts seperately. Problem is u have to remove the existing mounting to assess the extent of what needs replacing. Kit consists of the mounting and a rubber cup. Usually the rubber cup wears out first.

The mounting usually comes in a kit. But u can buy the parts seperately. Problem is u have to remove the existing mounting to assess the extent of what needs replacing. Kit consists of the mounting and a rubber cup. Usually the rubber cup wears out first.

I rather replace the whole thing, at least it will be done.
Hope I can find the part number online.

Thanks for the help.

This is interesting. Which bolts did you tighten? Did this completely eliminate the knocking issue?

The guy who did my car said he found it by chance ( he removed the subframe for precat and decat removal. )

Since no more knocking and car feel more stiffer on the front :smile:

The guy who did my car said he found it by chance ( he removed the subframe for precat and decat removal. )

Since no more knocking and car feel more stiffer on the front :smile:

Subframe bolts is the first thing my renault mechanic checks whenever I have any steering issues-

S

Digging up an old thread again.

I've a knocking noise coming from the front right since the day I bought my car brand new in November '12.
Only happens when I go over rough ground or the odd manhole cover in the road.

Been back to Renault a few times to have it fixed. The last time it went in they replaced the damper and top mount which hasn't cured it.

Anyone had any progress on this?

Similar Thread Suggestions