Mysterious knocking

Hi All,
I have a mysterious knocking, comes from underside rear and sounds like exhaust. It's only a light knock and happens on bumps and speed humps, also on throttle lift off and if depressing clutch slightly prematurely to throttle lift.

My service guy has checked it out, nothing wrong, nothing loose, suspension mounts all spot on. He thinks it may be the engine damper, which although a bit soft is still ok. (Presume this is allowing engine through to exhaust movement).

Car only has 20k on it, is mechanically superb and has standard exhaust.

Anyone experienced this?

I do get a little knocking sound from the driver's side rear of the car on poor surfaces, speed humps, etc. I hear it in my right ear, and not my left, which makes me think it's coming from the suspension.

I've had a mechanic take a look though and apparently the suspension is all fine. The diffuser was loose, as was the heat shield when I took it in to be looked, and whilst that has been sorted the knocking continues.

As long as it doesn't get worse I can live with it!

I have a slight knock from the n/s/f when lifting off - not sure if it's the exhaust, manifold, engine mounts or suspension, hate not being able to pinpoint where it's coming from :worried:

Sounds like it'll be the engine stabiliser bar in both cases. A lot of them do this when cold but it usually dies down once there's some heat under the bonnet. If you're stood at the front of the car with the bonnet open, it's to the left side of the bay and joins through the Cambelt cover and to the bulkhead near to the Brake Reservoir.

On turn over in the mornings I can get a knocking noise and it's definitely the mount described, updated ones from ktech give more vibration but are going to last longer

On turn over in the mornings I can get a knocking noise and it's definitely the mount described, updated ones from ktech give more vibration but are going to last longer

The updated ones are engine mounts, no one does the stabiliser link yet.

I noticed this on mine over the weekend too.....on accelrating/decelration, theres a knock.....so anoying. It gets quieter once warm, but doesn't disappear completely

Edit: After searching the forum came across this

http://www.clio197.net/forum/showthread.php?t=17828

After reading this, at a guess, I'd say that the epicly cold tempratures that we are experienceing at the moment are causing the bar to knock a bit. I'm going to leave mine for now untill it warms up a bit. If it carries on when it warms up, I'll get it replaced.

Last edited:

Similar Thread Suggestions