200T: My two cents on the new Clio 4 RS

So yep! I had a passenger ride in the Clio 4 RS yesterday. It was a late night 12:20am drive. We have the perfect flat straight where I live that most of you would kill for and the best thing about it? Nobody uses it.

The Ride
Anyway, moving on! Having blasted my Clio down the strip a fair few times, I asked the owner of the Clio 4 if she could give me a blast in her car; as much as I wanted to ask if I could drive it, I wouldn't let someone else drive mine so I thought there would be no point in pursuing it.

We headed up to the strip and I could already feel that the car drove lovely and smooth (Non-Cup), very similar to mine. She pressed on slightly around a roundabout and you could feel the under steer where as in my Clio 3, there wouldn't have been any, even with shocking tyres. This doesn't mean the car doesn't handle like it's on rails of course, it's still great. As we approached the strip she planted the throttle and oh wow! The first thing I thought was "Those gear changes!" they were like lightning! The sound through the whole exhaust system! All that torque from a 1.6! I can gladly say that it would have overtaken me, not like I was standing still mind you; but she would have been able to do it with some ease. An example of which would be half way down the strip I would have hit 100, yet she hit 115 and it simply just did not stop climbing. The torque curve was absolutely flat, there wasn't a flat spot throughout each gear change, to be frank; it was perfect. The power was there as soon as she touched the throttle. Spooling times? To be honest, I didn't even feel any spool, it just drove N/A like just with a **** ton more torque across the board.

The Gearbox
I was close to jumping on the Clio 4 gearbox hate bandwagon but to be frank, you really need to get in one and try it. Granted, it's not for everyone but you'll soon understand why it's better performance wise, you simply cannot match the speeds of the shifts. Now, I've not actually driven it, but that's what I felt from the passenger seat and to be honest; it was immense. Not a balls-ton more pull than the F4R but you can seriously feel that it has more, just when you think it's going to stop, it keeps pulling harder and harder.

The Looks
The way the car has been designed looks to be coincided with the release of all the latest gen Renault vehicles, they all have the same dull looking front bumper. The back of the car looks exceptional and very mature, it looks like a car you could drive to a job interview without someone thinking your an absolute pleb or a boy racer; not saying that the 197/200 is bad looking by any means and the same stands for the rest of the car. However, in my 20 year old brain, alarm bells are ringing at that front bumper. I do not know whether it's the fact that I'm young and I'm 'in to' the Gordini styling and racing stripes but the front bumper could have seriously used some TLC before they released the vehicle. It needs to look more unique to be frank. On the flip side, they did this with the 197 so I am certainly looking forward to a face lifted version.

My Two Cents
So, my two cents. The Clio 3 Chassis is excellent, the handling is amazing and the brakes can give the new Clio a run for it's money any day, however; there is a problem! Torque. It made me think twice. Why am I driving a 2.0l around that in fairness, drinks fuel, when she was driving a 1.6 around which has a little bit better mpg and more torque when she wants it? (I do prefer the F4R though)

To me, this concludes with the fact that these Clio's should have really been turbocharged from the factory and backs up the fact why so many of you are now slapping Megane engines in them, because the chassis is damn sexy; that's why.

My Rating
I would rate them exactly the same, they both excel in their own areas and you can clearly see the market Renault is aiming the car at. Not disappointed at all.

Anyway, rant over. Thanks for reading :smile:

(Psst: I'm looking at Megane engines)

EDIT: The lady that owns the 200T has had it remapped at 'Pembrokshire Remapping'. I've no idea how it performs now, but apparently it kicks out 220bhp. If anything happens to the engine I'll let you all know but for now she mentioned she's really enjoying the extra boost.

Last edited:
Nice read up, will admit that the 197/200 is not a straight line car, but it more than makes it up for that in the corners.

May I ask if you have a sprint booster fitted in your 200? The reason I ask is I've fitted one over the weekend and it has made a huuuge difference to the way the car reacts/feels, I think it'd be something you'd like, having read posts/comments from you recently.

Edit: Just another point, you're talking literally about a straight here, which is not why people buy the clios, thats why you buy these 550bhp rwd sheds.

Last edited:
Nice read up, will admit that the 197/200 is not a straight line car, but it more than makes it up for that in the corners.

May I ask if you have a sprint booster fitted in your 200? The reason I ask is I've fitted one over the weekend and it has made a huuuge difference to the way the car reacts/feels, I think it'd be something you'd like, having read posts/comments from you recently.

Edit: Just another point, you're talking literally about a straight here, which is not why people buy the clios, thats why you buy these 550bhp rwd sheds.

Agree completely with you with the cornering. The new one simply can't beat it in the corners. No, I've not fitted one. I'm mostly used to the Clio's laggy throttle now so my rev matches are spot on. How do you find it makes a difference? In what way?

Yeah the straight line thing was the safest way to find out what was faster to be honest. I understand straight lines mean nothing but I'm sure people would be very angry here if I mentioned that we raced a circuit on the streets to find out what was better. Stuff like that is for the track, you know? Learned my lesson with that one.

I do think the Clio is underpowered after seeing the latest trends of 1.6t's going around, makes you feel down really.

Good write up!

I hear what you're saying with regards a lack of power, but then the mk3 is a different beast to the modern 1.6 turbos. I like the fact that the mk3 has a n/a engine, it's all part of the character. Plus the ability of the chassis more than makes up for the lack of straight line speed. On a decent country road, it is such a fun car!

I guess there will always be another car out there that is better than ours in one way or another, but I love my car for what it is and I just enjoy it for that. Really good to read the comparison though :thumbup1:

The sprintbooster is amazing mate, ive read good reviews on it but had no idea til i got one. It increases throttle response so when you hit the the throttle, there is no delay, its instant power delivery. I feel the same way about the clios power as you and this device is so good i cant believe ive driven for a year without it. Its how it should have come out the factory.

You could have asked on here, im sure everyone would have told you the 200t is faster in a straight line :tongueout:

Youve also got to remember, the 197/200 is a generation behind now. This clio and its engine was back from 2006, so 8 years old now, lots of advancements in technology since then. If you want a fair example of a the 200 vs a 1.6t then just compair it to the corsa vxr or mini cooper s, not to a new shape clio or fiesta, its not going to be a match for them in a straight line.

not a big fan of the looks of the 200T but sounds like it drives nicely!, i enjoy the high revving N/A engine in my 197! gives the car character i guess!
i need a sprintbooster if they are as good as you say haha

Good write up!

I hear what you're saying with regards a lack of power, but then the mk3 is a different beast to the modern 1.6 turbos. I like the fact that the mk3 has a n/a engine, it's all part of the character. Plus the ability of the chassis more than makes up for the lack of straight line speed. On a decent country road, it is such a fun car!

I guess there will always be another car out there that is better than ours in one way or another, but I love my car for what it is and I just enjoy it for that. Really good to read the comparison though :thumbup1:

Myself, I prefer the F4R engine. The way it screams and grunts is addictive and I don't think about fuel consumption until I'm actually at the pump. I know it sounds far fetched, but the more I hammer it the more power it seems to put out especially with Shell Nitro+. It used to grunt a little bit down low about 2,000rpm but now it REALLY grunts and you can hear and feel it pickup as soon as it touches 2.5k rpm.

It seriously turns heads around my area. I think some people think "Oh racing stripes, what a chav" but then they hear the grunt of the 2.0l spinning up the revs and it soon changes their mind. I've not had a bad comment about it. Everyone loves it. There are not many around the Swansea Area and NONE at all around the Neath Area. However, I've seen a white 197 head in to Neath town but I don't think it's anyone on here, probably just a casual. I still think they sound better than the Hondas.

The sprintbooster is amazing mate, ive read good reviews on it but had no idea til i got one. It increases throttle response so when you hit the the throttle, there is no delay, its instant power delivery. I feel the same way about the clios power as you and this device is so good i cant believe ive driven for a year without it. Its how it should have come out the factory.

You could have asked on here, im sure everyone would have told you the 200t is faster in a straight line :tongueout:

Youve also got to remember, the 197/200 is a generation behind now. This clio and its engine was back from 2006, so 8 years old now, lots of advancements in technology since then. If you want a fair example of a the 200 vs a 1.6t then just compair it to the corsa vxr or mini cooper s, not to a new shape clio or fiesta, its not going to be a match for them in a straight line.

Nothing like finding it and experiencing it for yourself though! I've given a Cooper S a run for it's money. The Mini will pull a little bit in 1st and 2nd but after that it's all the Clio. Monster. Passed him in 3rd gear. I've not come against a VXR to be honest. Lots of people mapping them to 230bhp though so I wouldn't even bother wasting the fuel.

Last edited:
not a big fan of the looks of the 200T but sounds like it drives nicely!, i enjoy the high revving N/A engine in my 197! gives the car character i guess!
i need a sprintbooster if they are as good as you say haha

Agree with the Clio 4 lacking in the looks department. It looks like they **** all over it to be honest. Still a damn good engine and gearbox though it seems! Hopefully they'll nail it properly in the next generation.

I can supply the Sprint Boosters if anyone wants one :smile: £160 delivered

I will get one from you one day mate, just lacking funds at the moment. I'm spending £30 a week driving around town because I don't stay away from the redline :worried: Can't help it. My car is my anti-depressant.

Driving around town on the red-line?

also every review I have read has said the gearchange is rather slow, so have a drive of one yourself before critisizing the handling etc.

Driving around town on the red-line?

also every review I have read has said the gearchange is rather slow, so have a drive of one yourself before critisizing the handling etc.
In normal mode (eco) the shifts are slow but is fine while driving normally.

When in sport or even better race mode, the shifts are really quick IMO, could never be matched by a manual box. And when your foot is planted and your doing silly speed and change up the last thing that crosses my mind is 'oh, that could have been 0.000067s quicker' lol.

Oh yeah, just to put it out there... The shift time in race mode is the same as the up shift on a Ferrari Enzo. :smile:

Well Enzo's gearbox is not considered to be particularly quick though is it? Not being a dual clutch one that is..

I drove one round Oulton and it drove worse than it looked, pure garbage. Has nothing going for it unfortunately... Very slow, **** handling, looks horrid, sounds pants etc etc

I drove one round Oulton and it drove worse than it looked, pure garbage. Has nothing going for it unfortunately... Very slow, **** handling, looks horrid, sounds pants etc etc

Did you have your handbrake on whilst driving around with 4 flat tyres by any chance?