My First Renault - Clio 197 Weekend/Track Toy Project

I’m interested too I used some waxy oil but think before it sees any real road use I’d like to do the seam sealer

Haha the exact reason why I asked, Tigerseal is what I have, went back to it and it's a bloody tube shaped bouncing ball!

I got to do spreader eyelets too, so I'll try the Puraflex, appreciate the reply.

• Haha
Reactions: bigsid
I’m interested too I used some waxy oil but think before it sees any real road use I’d like to do the seam sealer

I did think about painting over the sealant with Hammerite Underbody Seal which has Waxoyl in it, but that's probably overkill. If you've already put that on, you'll need to clean it off thoroughly with White Spirits before using the PU sealer. I etch primed and painted the spreader plates with White Stonechip Guard paint and then just used the sealant around the edges. I'm going to trim off the excess that got squeezed out when I tightened the bolts and put another thin bead over just to make sure there aren't any holes though before I call this job done.

Haha the exact reason why I asked, Tigerseal is what I have, went back to it and it's a bloody tube shaped bouncing ball!

I got to do spreader eyelets too, so I'll try the Puraflex, appreciate the reply.

Doing those eyelet spreader plates was a bit of a turd for the inner ones. I had to remove the exhaust up to the cat so I could get the heat shield off to get to the underneath of the holes I drilled. Right pain in the arse. Outer eyelets were easier cuz I just went into the original front seat belt rail hole. I had to get different eyelets though as the ones that came with my harnesses were UNF thread and the seat belt rail bolt holes at metric 1.5mm thread pitch I think.

Reactions: suj
I did think about painting over the sealant with Hammerite Underbody Seal which has Waxoyl in it, but that's probably overkill. If you've already put that on, you'll need to clean it off thoroughly with White Spirits before using the PU sealer. I etch primed and painted the spreader plates with White Stonechip Guard paint and then just used the sealant around the edges. I'm going to trim off the excess that got squeezed out when I tightened the bolts and put another thin bead over just to make sure there aren't any holes though before I call this job done.

I’ll take a look at it soon I think and give it a proper going over. The guys who fitted my cage half assed it and used nothing so I quickly stuck some waxy oil on when I realised. I’ll go back and do a proper job like this thanks

Reactions: bigsid
I’ll take a look at it soon I think and give it a proper going over. The guys who fitted my cage half assed it and used nothing so I quickly stuck some waxy oil on when I realised. I’ll go back and do a proper job like this thanks
Yeah I think it's worth doing it right. Last thing you want is those anchor points rotting away, especially if you ever find yourself in a position where you really need that cage to be strong and sturdy.

Doing those eyelet spreader plates was a bit of a turd for the inner ones. I had to remove the exhaust up to the cat so I could get the heat shield off to get to the underneath of the holes I drilled. Right pain in the arse. Outer eyelets were easier cuz I just went into the original front seat belt rail hole. I had to get different eyelets though as the ones that came with my harnesses were UNF thread and the seat belt rail bolt holes at metric 1.5mm thread pitch I think.

Yeah I can imagine them being a pain, luckily it's for my E36 328i, from memory there is nothing in the way...he says now haha.

Made a bit more progress today. Main thing holding me up now is a lack of seats. I'm modifying the footplates to add some protection for this big wiring connector in the passenger footwell...
tBl4IsV.jpg

I'm going to try my hand at TIG'ing a cover over the cut out I made in the foot plate. I'm rubbish at TIG welding, especially aluminium so, hopefully I can do this without wrecking it in the process.
U0fKLK7.jpg

Added a few finishing touches to the outside in the form of some towing eyes.
cOBQVgb.jpg

ma3dMya.png

Because I removed the rear window wiper, I also removed the washer and the tube that runs the length of the car. I took a short length of hose and routed it into the filler neck of the washer bottle, so if I accidentally operate the rear windows wash it just pumps it back into the tank.
WBVJBPq.jpg

Finally, I've got all the materials I need to make some additional anchor brackets for the roll cage. I plan to bolt the top of the main hoop into the old top anchor points for the seatbelts. Need to mock it up with cardboard first. Also need the seats really before I can design these as I don't want them to be in a position where I can smack my head on them.
sQQH1cv.jpg

Another weekend, another update. Getting a bit annoyed now; still waiting for my seats to arrive. On Tuesday it will have been 8 weeks and I'm struggling to get any kind of answer from the supplier about what is going on. While I'm waiting for the seats, I've carried on finishing off some other bits on the interior.

I've refitted my lightweight door cards, removing the self-tapping screws and replacing with rivnuts and allen bolts which are a lot more secure. Also fitted my CMComposites door handle spacers so the finish is a bit neater.

wJV0Z24.jpg

I had some leftover carpet which I used to cover the drivers side door card after it got gouged badly during the roll cage install. Also took the time to fit a small pocket which I can stick my phone in.

KxCBElx.jpg

I've got some more carpet coming and will cover the passenger door card later. Adds a touch of luxury to a stripped out track car in my opinion :smiley:

I welded a extra piece onto the passenger foot rest to cover the main electrical connection thing and used some rubber door strip to protect the wiring from any sharp edges. My TIG welding on aluminium is complete cack.

l2ILmnr.jpg

Look passable from a distance though.

26uskhs.jpg

I've refitted the trim from around the handbrake and gear lever as I was fed up of not having any cup holders. Handily this gives me back a 12V outlet which I can use later for a roll cage mounted GoPro or something.
q1IUvIm.jpg

Took the opportunity to properly bolt the emergency tool on too, getting rid of the zip ties that were being used to hold it in place before. All the wiring has been tidied up and wrapped in white insulation tape to give it a bit of protection and allow it to blend into the paintwork a bit better.

RdG0sfp.jpg

I've added a couple of P-Clips in various places to make sure the wiring is kept secure and out of the way. Finally I got around to fabri-cobbling some additional brackets for the roll cage.

rmM1Faa.jpg

NLu4Lfu.jpg

I love a good captive nut...
naakC8q.jpg

My mild steel TIG welding is only marginally better...

bHGRYxK.jpg

I'll finish these off during the week hopefully and post some more pics once they're fitted. Huge amounts of overkill here, but I kind of was looking for an excuse to make something.

Got my extra roll cage brackets finished, painted and fitted.
CdjTt12.jpg

JZUL96d.jpg

ycSR7hE.jpg

Got the passenger side door card trimmed in cheap eBay carpet for a touch of extra luxury too. Then I started messing around with RSTuner.
ycErzoV.jpg

Turns out I bought the wrong Airbag module. I got Bosch and it should have been Temic. Opened a support ticket with fastchip.nl and just waiting for my VCI unlock code then I can brick my ECU! Fun times.

Great read!

Did you weld your spreader plates in the exhaust tunnel?

No, I just stuck the eye bolts through, taped them down and then threaded the spreader plates onto them and then used PU seam sealer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: G8RSH
I would be interested ton know how you get on the the RS Tuner. When I looked at the web site it looked like the extra modules you can add such as the brake bleed system were expensive at 50 Euros each?

I’ll keep you posted about how I get on with it. There’s a couple of thoughts I’ve had so far. I know what you mean about all the modules needing to be paid for, but I figured I’d only need the airbag one.

Well it turns out I bought the wrong one. I got Bosch and it should have been Temic so I’ve got a support case open with fastchip to see if I can swap and pay the difference which I think is a reasonable request. Will see what they say when they get round to responding.

I found I had some historic DTCs for power steering and couldn’t clear them without paying another 50 euros for the TRW electronic power steering module.

Thought that was a bit crap to be honest.

Until I get my VCI unlock code and new map though I’m a bit stuck. I thought because of the website being .nl and things being priced in euros that they were based in The Netherlands but the support contact address is in the Philippines.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Oh God! Really? I hadn't seen any of that prior to buying. What sort of horror stories?

Some are related to payments made but nothing received.
Others are that the maps run too rich at top end.
Tbh there has always been an answer for the above problems, I'm sure it will be fine as always there is always the negatives mentioned more then the positives.