My boring 197 progress thread

Hi all

I just want to share with you guys my project, as you can give me some good advice for sure.

I started with this Clio Sport, very basic spec, with 6.000 miles on it:

4409257930_1fd8926c4f_b.jpg
4426097300_ce8144b8c6_b.jpg
4426319129_ae501c7c64_b.jpg
DSC_9640.jpg

I have done a couple of things to the car:

-I changed interior lights to white
-Silver vent surrounds
-Rickbrook gearknob

DSC_0459.jpg
DSC_0462.jpg

I'm getting a couple bits to fit them to my car as:

-"Jase" splitter (thank you for the awesome idea, hope you don't mind me copying it and using your picture)

DSC_0452.jpg
DSC_0454.jpg
21609005.jpg

Rear spoiler (not the cup one) (and sorry jase for using another picture of yours:001_unsure:smile:

217_07016.jpg

Momo Race steering wheel

150479d1229094386-timones-momo-nuevos-momo-race.jpg

I don't know if I will put this one, as the standard one is pretty good, and not having steering wheel airbag means police tickets of 150 € (ouch)

Also, got some H&R coilovers that are broken, and I am going to get them revalved to hardcore race spec. I don't have a picture of the coilovers as I didn't received them yet. But we all know how they are and I don't want to steal more pictures of you guys.

The car is going to get its setup for circuit only, corner weighted and all that stuff. I hope that it gets way better than with the standard suspension (not cup one) because this was happening to me in circuit:

_1018115.jpg

Pretty bad, huh?

I got a spare set of clio subframes to mount some seats, as the Recaros are impossible to find, and if you find them they are going for silly money (more than retail price when you buy the car (here in Spain 1000 pounds) and that's used ones and with you seats in exchange. Also, as I've seen they wear really fast and are heavier than standard ones, so I thought about EVO IX seats:

Evo_IX-05-L.jpg

These seats don't fold, but it doesn't matter as is going to be stripped "a la" R26R, the whole rear carpeted and not a single piece of metal shown but no cage as in only adds weight (and that's another 150 ticket from the spanish police. Not good at all.

Also started stripping the sound deadening, one day opened the boot and saw the boot floor was pretty hot, and started peeling the sound deadening really easy. The center one the is behind the carpet weight 1 kg, I think that's a lot for a 30x30 piece of sound deadening. I now have to find where's the rest of it.

I also ordered new slicks from Fedima, a Spanish company that sells new slicks at a really cheap price, 400 € for all 4 of them. Looking at what normal tyres cost (normal ones, not chinese ****) I think is worth the money, as I went though 2 tyres in 2 trackdays, and at 125/€ per tyre I prefer proper race slicks.

Slicks.png

I also have a couple of things to do:

-Heatwrap the exhaust manifold
-1 exit exhaust (just to save weight, as not a lot of people see power gains with exhausts on the 197)
-Raise the gearbox assembly 10 cms with shorter throw
-Bigger DBW throttle body (is in testing proccess (sp?))
-Matched inlets and matched face to the head
-Clio V6 or Clio R3 2009 airbox (with the corresponding relocations of battery to the boot)
-Custom remap (having to do this in Spain is going to be a pain in the arse)
-Some decent interior mats
-Clio cup sway bar
-Clio 200 cup steering rack (7,5% quicker) and hopefully this will be for free as I have to change the steering rack in warranty
-And a lot more things that will come along the way.

I just got the car 4 months ago and I think i'm going the right direction

Hope you like it, and any comment is welcome :wink:

Cheers :thumbup1:

Thats great you certainly have a lot planned at the moment! Keep us updated with the various bits when you get then completed!

Thanks for the response guys :wink:

Kevo, I didn't put the seats yet, as I have only found a set of EVO VIII recaros and they are blue, but i'm going to use recaro subframes as all recaro seats have the same bolt pattern :wink:

About the grey and white combo, some people like it, some not. It's one of those "love or hate" things. But for streer I will use some new grey or anthracite wheels as the car always look dirtier than it actually is because of the wheels. Now I just have to find some wheels that look good, fill the arches and have CRS fitment for my clio. Not easy at all.

Cheers

Thanks for the response guys :wink:

Kevo, I didn't put the seats yet, as I have only found a set of EVO VIII recaros and they are blue, but i'm going to use recaro subframes as all recaro seats have the same bolt pattern :wink:

Cheers

But they dont always use the same bolt spacing on the bottom of the frames (to the floorplan)?!

That's true, but I have the original Recaro frames that were in the 197 so the bolt pattern in the floor of the car is the same and they are for recaros, not just the sporster CS :wink:

O let me get this right ? If I buy the subframe from Renault or a scapie I can then fit any recaro I want. ?

Sorry for silly question

Really? I was told that all the Recaros had the same bolt pattern, but we'll have to wait and see if that's true. If not, it doesn't bother me too much, I'm not too bad at metal working, so with the original sliders, a welder and a hammer I may be able to make the seats fit. But that's going to be one of the last mods, as is going to be possibly the most expensive mod to the car.

Cheers

yeah, i thought all base mounted had same bolt pattern, hence why the subframes always look odd on recaros (like the 197 ones) as they have to angle in to fit the seat?

but yeah, as you say. buy the seats you want and get them to fit.