197: MOT results are in

Got my hopes up as the phone call started 'done your MOt and everything is fine with the car'

Then came the dreaded 'but'

My nearside rear brake is binding.
they are stripping it back now. I'm hoping it's just in need of a clean and re lube. If not I have a set of brake pads for front and rear of the car sitting in my boot, I knew my stockpile of parts would come in handy eventually.

Anyone know anything else that could cause a brake to bind?
I suppose I'm lucky, last year no advisories. This year just this.

Sticking handbrake cable?

Most likely that a good clean and grease will sort it though. Did you ask them to do the work, or did they just do it?

I asked them to strip it. They ended up fitting my pads FOC but the caliber was gone and needed replacing.
MOT+calliper+labour just over £200 so wasn't to shocking and I can feel the car accelerating cleaner now. I didn't notice it feeling bogged down before but after I could tell it was.

Done for another year and its the first thing (barring tyres) that the car has required in 2 years :smile:

Mine failed on rear brakes binding. Mine was down to handbrake cables. I paid £163 for MOT+2 cables+ labor, so your £200 for a MOT+caliper+ labor is very good.

Did you get the old caliper back? IMO if you know basic mechanics i would have just bought a refurb kit for it, it was most likely the seal was away, so strip and clean and rebuild and jobs a good un.

I've never attempted anything with brakes myself. I have enough knowledge to make sure I'm not going to get ripped off again after my first car.
I did an alternator change, some loom wiring, helped replace my back axle and rear ARB and replaced an ECU and MAF on a mk3 fiesta but they are a lot more simple then the Clio.

I wouldn't know where to start on this. I stick to fluids with the Clio. Anything else it goes in a garage.
If I had someone who could teach me about brakes and maintenance of them I'd probably be more confident in my ability to do it lol :smile: