Misfire/Hesitation from cold

Matty_L

Gold Member
I've read up about all of the usual hesitation and kangaroo issues that float around on here, but my Clio always seems to be very very hesitant, almost misfiring when first started and trying to pull away, only happens for the first 10-20 seconds after starting then not again.

I usually have to pull onto a main road when leaving work, so have to try and pull out quickly, but tonight the car did it again, not going above 3500rpm, almost like hitting a rev limiter and heard a little pop or two from the exhaust.

Just wanted to know if this is the norm, or if anyone else has had this as my Clio runs out of manufacturers warranty in September and I would like it sorting if possible.

Yep this is normal. Taking the traction control off can help. Also let it idle for a while before giving it some welly to get some temperature up if it's right out of the box. Ktec will map it out if you want to chuck some wedge at the problem.

Leave it to warm up for a couple of minutes before moving off. Completely normal and nothing to worry about.

What fuel you using? I switched to esso supreme and it's not near as bad as when I was using vpower, maybe stick some standard unleaded in for a couple of weeks let the car get used to it then switch back to super-unleaded might trick the car into running differently

Mine is the same 2500rpm and it feels like it's firing on three cylinders for the first few minutes. As all above comments it is the norm and nothing to worry about.

yeah it is very embarrassing, my exhaust seems to go really loud too and wont go above 3000rpm. i try to leave it on idle for a min or two but sometimes it still does it.

These cars are rather lumpy on idle. However when did you last change the plugs? I changed mine the other week and the car feels a lot smoother and less lumpy on idle.

I might try that also [MENTION=50319]Stephenvenning[/MENTION]

Wheres the cheapest place to get them?

I recently serviced the car so got all the bits from gsf car parts. NGK double platinum. Around £40 I think, my plugs even after 36K looked pretty bad IMO

Cheers mate. Ill have a browse tonite, ive done 12k in the car and i dont know when they were done before.

Well its at 58k and full dealer history so ill assume its been done then, ill browse through reciepts tomoz.

Glad to hear it sounds normal, well normal for this car anyway. I use T99 for fuel and haven't had any plugs in yet, its only just gone onto 25k.

Well its at 58k and full dealer history so ill assume its been done then, ill browse through reciepts tomoz.

Never assume bud. I work for a dealer and tend to find that the vast majority of people would rather pay for the cheapest service to get a stamp rather than what the manufacturer recommends.

Never assume bud. I work for a dealer and tend to find that the vast majority of people would rather pay for the cheapest service to get a stamp rather than what the manufacturer recommends.

Well I'll get it done then. Only £40

cheers mate