Mike's Clio 200 track day car

(Full) Fat Fighters weight loss diary

AC delete 10Kg
Sound deadening (so far) 1.5kg
Internal brackets ,, 1.2kg
Wiring and trim ,, 0.5kg

Total 13.3kg

Target is to get enough out of it to remove the 'Oulton' cage and fit a full cage with no net weight gain. Any idea of various cage weights? Maybe the safety devices R019?

Safety Devices cages are heavy. I have the R023 in mine, so the slightly lighter version due to a few less cross bars, and it's still a very heavy piece of kit. I would love to give you an actual weight but i have no idea!

Reactions: Mfmman
Track day #5. That's more like it

Castle Combe again today. It's a motor club organised event so not quite the usual track day. Huge range of car performance from lightly modded Minis (not MINIs) and MX5s through usual track day stuff like Clios and Westfields right up to a 458 Italia (I think) and a 911 992 GTS. Same wider than normal type of drivers from those who just fancy a go on a track to track day regulars.

Slightly damp in patches but got out early to bed the pads in once again and ..................................................success!! Good braking effect, no shuddering really and car going really well.

Did seven 15 min sessions (so maybe 80 laps) and gave a couple of passenger rides which is new for me. Low numbers of cars on track each time at nine of ten only so lots of room and really good driving (courteous) standards. Had some good runs with a freshly built Saxo rally car. Highlight of the day was passing the 458 and leading him round for a few laps then letting him by and trying (and failing) to keep up. Had a good chat with the owner after, just bought the car and it was his first time out. The improvement in his pace was visible throughout the day, what a car!

Even got a couple of compliments on my driving today, I have done motorsport related stuff for over 30 years on and off and that has never happened before :blush:

Car was ace today, didn't put a spanner on it. My mate who came out a few times described it as 'forgiving' compared to his track 205 MI16, he thought that some of the braking and handling over the bumps would have seen us in the tyre wall in his car. :grinning:

Last edited:
Just before the last trackday I took the steering wheel off to investigate how to fit airbag resistors, bit of a concern that the boss hardly slides on to the column splines at all. Took it on and off a few times but something isn't right I think. Pics of the boss below, any thoughts if it is the right one?

IMG_1283.JPG

IMG_1285.JPG

IMG_1282.JPG

Just before the last trackday I took the steering wheel off to investigate how to fit airbag resistors, bit of a concern that the boss hardly slides on to the column splines at all. Took it on and off a few times but something isn't right I think. Pics of the boss below, any thoughts if it is the right one?

I have a 2006 car and i bought the OMP boss for my car 06-08 and it came and it looked like yours. It didnt go on enough and didn't catch the squib enough. I sent it back and ordered the 08-11 one and it was correct and fitted much better. It had a concave shape before the splines which yours doesn't. Have you a picture of the splines on the car? Is there a cone type shape behind the splines? Mine has the cone shape so the boss needed the concave shape to slip over it.

I have a 2006 car and i bought the OMP boss for my car 06-08 and it came and it looked like yours. It didnt go on enough and didn't catch the squib enough. I sent it back and ordered the 08-11 one and it was correct and fitted much better. It had a concave shape before the splines which yours doesn't. Have you a picture of the splines on the car? Is there a cone type shape behind the splines? Mine has the cone shape so the boss needed the concave shape to slip over it.

I don't have a picture to hand but yes, pretty much as you describe. Going to order this one (they don't list a 200 one specifically)

https://www.ybracing.com/omp-od1960...or-renault-clio-mk3-197-cup-(15mm)-08-12.html

I don't have a picture to hand but yes, pretty much as you describe. Going to order this one (they don't list a 200 one specifically)

https://www.ybracing.com/omp-od1960...or-renault-clio-mk3-197-cup-(15mm)-08-12.html

exact one i bought of the same people. I got them to send me a picture of it before they sent it lol. They kept saying to just put my car make and model in their website. I nearly lost the head lol. As the website kept showing the other one which didn't fit. But they eventually sent the picture.

Ok, so many months have passed and I am finally getting round to fitting the replacement boss. The previous owner of my car decided the best way to deal with the redundant wires when they fitted an aftermarket wheel was this

IMG_1355.JPG

So I bought a replacement squib from ebay, fitted that and I now have a working horn button. What I don't have is an airbag warning light that goes out. I fitted some resistors that came with the boss but it's still staying on. Whatsapped a mate who thinks I may need to fit some to the old disconnected seat plugs as well, any thoughts. If I do, a picture of the plugs and which connections I need would be mint! Thanks

Ok, so many months have passed and I am finally getting round to fitting the replacement boss. The previous owner of my car decided the best way to deal with the redundant wires when they fitted an aftermarket wheel was this

View attachment 139975

So I bought a replacement squib from ebay, fitted that and I now have a working horn button. What I don't have is an airbag warning light that goes out. I fitted some resistors that came with the boss but it's still staying on. Whatsapped a mate who thinks I may need to fit some to the old disconnected seat plugs as well, any thoughts. If I do, a picture of the plugs and which connections I need would be mint! Thanks

You are best off getting someone with CLIP to turn it off, saves messing with resistors. We have one in Devon if your local.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks for the offer, I'm in Bristol so maybe not that far. However, car is uninsured, not MOT'd or taxed so would have to hire a trailer etc and possibly take a day off work to take it anywhere.

Reactions: G8RSH
Wicked build love it. Looking to do some coombe track days myself soon. Same issue with my steering wheel and boss. Refitted a new squib but think I need a new boss for the auto indicator cancel to work, do those two splines either side of the boss slot into grooves on the squib to make it work?

You are best off getting someone with CLIP to turn it off, saves messing with resistors. We have one in Devon if your local.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

also where abouts in Devon are you? I need mine turning off and I’m in somerset, apologies for the thread hijack!

Wicked build love it. Looking to do some coombe track days myself soon. Same issue with my steering wheel and boss. Refitted a new squib but think I need a new boss for the auto indicator cancel to work, do those two splines either side of the boss slot into grooves on the squib to make it work?

Don't think they slot into groves, but they do catch the centre of the squib to self cancel yes