Meanwhile in Finland

Antti O

Gold Member
I just want to share what kind of weather we have had this week. Not so much snow yet but frost enough. All lakes are now in strong ice and people drive with snowmobiles.
My clio is in hibernation in +20celsius garage..Our winter is not so ideal for driving with cup chassis.
It will be interesting when i have to start my dailydriver in couple of days how it will take this. Fortunately i have electric preheaters..
For couple of next days forecast says -31celsius. :tongue_smilie:
This is quite normal, usually we have 2-4 weeks almost -30c every winter between january and february.

full.jpg

This morning we had -29.8C, people goes to work as usual..

medium.jpg

Wow that's cold :blush:mg: although if it is par for the course then it's no wonder that you take it in your stride. That's the worst thing about extreme weather in the UK - we are so ill equipped for it, be it rain, snow, ice etc. The country gets so hammered yet we never seem to learn the lesson...

That must be very chilly.

There are some people that don't come into my work when it's -1c because they are worried about ice on the roads.

-30!!!!:blush:mg: reminds me of a quote from The Sopranos - "you think the cold bothers me?!? I wash my balls in ice water" https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D4Y_twfbM78

This is what we're having to put up with at the moment - http://www.thecourier.co.uk/news/lo...ad-likely-to-be-closed-until-weekend-1.918402

I'd take the cold over rain all day long.

We dont have floods here, at least east part of country. I kind of like this weather because it rained all november and december.. water. Real winter is much better in my opinion.

Wow that's cold :blush:mg: although if it is par for the course then it's no wonder that you take it in your stride. That's the worst thing about extreme weather in the UK - we are so ill equipped for it, be it rain, snow, ice etc. The country gets so hammered yet we never seem to learn the lesson...

We try to prepare this kind of weather. Still we have problems that water pipes go ice in some places, cars wont start if batteries are not 100% condition.. Many layers of arctic winter gear so you dont freeze to death if car stalls and would not start.

That must be very chilly.

There are some people that don't come into my work when it's -1c because they are worried about ice on the roads.

We have "winter months" between october and may, it is in this time normal that roads are in ice. Studded winter tyres are main reason that we can drive here. Negative side is that roads are really worn.

+35c in Sydney today. It's a dry heat today, you know when you open the oven and the rush of hot air comes out? It's close to that.
cant imagine what -33 feels like.

I've witnessed -25 and that felt really cold. I can't imagine sitting in a car at -33.

It was -4 here this morning and I had to leave the car on for 10 mins to defrost before I sat in it!

+35c in Sydney today. It's a dry heat today, you know when you open the oven and the rush of hot air comes out? It's close to that.
cant imagine what -33 feels like.

Hi i know that heat. I have been in Egypt there was so hot. It was warm wave when going out from airplane.. :smile: We are used to -33c, now it has been 3 weeks already -25 - 30c all the time.

whats your daily driver whilst the clio is tucked away? Cant comprehend what -33 must be like

I have E46 325i BMW dailydriver with nordic winter tyres nokian hakkapelitta R2

medium.jpg

I've witnessed -25 and that felt really cold. I can't imagine sitting in a car at -33.

It was -4 here this morning and I had to leave the car on for 10 mins to defrost before I sat in it!

It is not so bad when you have proper equipment for arctic conditions. I have DEFA pre-heaters (230V ac) in car engine & interior. I have 1850W termini interior pre-heater and 500w engine block heater which heats oil before start. It takes approx 6-8kilometres to drive until engine coolant is up to 90celsius. BMW is arctic version (cold-climate) and it has seat heaters and stuff to keep us warm in winter. In fact, i like this cold much more than november and december when it was raining all the time water. There is no problems that windscreen go ice because i got half garage for my car and preheaters which will melt all ice from windscreen etc..

Take a look

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6PIwzd7vnJQ

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ksHWxU9hcRY

Last edited:
Now today is 1. st of march. As you can see we have beautiful winter weather. -7celsius and some snow. Yesterday i rented Ski-doo snow mobile and drove 40km in frozen lakes, forests etc. It was such a great fun. 115horses in small snowmobile, that acceleration:blush:mg:

This is normal street i drive every day, our normal street conditions in wintertime. Currently we have something like 40cm snow.

full.jpg

Last edited: