Major brake/dealership issue.....advice please!

Ryster

Paid Member
Sooooooooo

Third week of owning the Clio and issue number two has begun. Upon originally test driving the car I noticed spongy brakes. I made the salesman aware of this to which his reply was 'will be sorted when you pick it up'. Had no reason not to believe him, upon picking up the car the only other issue of a few scuffs on the bumper was sorted with a respray of the back bumper. Over the moon I was. Was told, and I quote; 'one of our mechanics has been out in it this morning and said the brakes are FINE, just how they are'.

Not being a mechanic I trusted this, got in the car and spongy brakes were still there. I got home and again, still there. Spoke to the dealership who said its because they have been stood for a while, they will feel better soon.

I then noticed the door had fallen a little after getting home, a quick trip back and the door was fixed. Again, very happy with the service.

However the brake issue was still obvious after 12 days, after owning a Focus and Fiesta ST and my vans brakes working better I contacted Renault UK who have bent over backwards to help. The car was booked in at Renault Blackpool and within 20 minutes of them having it they phoned me to tell me its on the ramps there is a massive fault.

Between Monday and today Renault UK and Renault Blackpool have been talking to each other and I was given an update in which I was told the following:

Both front pads had seized into the calipers as had the rear drivers. The rear passenger had seized and heated so much that when they removed it the thing fell apart in the guys hands. Photos were taken and sent onto Renault UK who are now dealing with said dealership to find out why they released the car. I've been told by Renault UK not to worry about paying for anything as its an obvious issue that isnt after 12 days.of ownership anyway my fault.

my question is this, other than a Renault UK complaint what else can I do? Trading standards? Legal action? The car has had my little lad and missus in since owning and to say im furious with the dealership would be an understatement. Renault Blackpool have said they are shocked a car could be released like that and it was one of the worst cases of negligence they have seen in a long time.

So, other than getting it fixed for nothing which is in my eyes an absolute given, should I expect any other forms of compensation or is getting it fixed the most I can expect?

Thanks people!

You can try but I don't think you have a major case in my opinion. There are just alot of what ifs here.

In response to the brake problem, I'm glad it's being taken care off and nothing is coming from your pocket.

I have been wrong before though :wink:

ask Renault UK to confirm what action they will take against this dealership and mechanic whom confirmed your breaks were fine!

ask Renault UK to confirm what action they will take against this dealership and mechanic whom confirmed your breaks were fine!

This is what I'm doing at the moment, and to be fair to renault uk, what they are also doing. Its been escalated to the Renault UK area manager, so we will see where that goes. I suspect as the car has only done 7k miles whoever has looked at it has presumed all is well!

basically they just fobbed you off and hope that there isn't an issue....

I would be making noises to trading standards and also check to see if the dealership is part of a trade body and complain to them as well...

See what RUK say. Not the only one who got sold a car with dodgy brakes either, put my foot flat on the floor after about owning the car for 6 hours and had no brakes...I was also on a dual carriageway haha :smiley:

It is not just that dealership I had the same when I got mine from Renault at Evans Halshaw in Leeds, front pads all seized, rear caliper sticking, I like you had expressed a concern on my test drive and was assured the car would be serviced and given a safety check, just a joke really, dealers are just banging cars out, and only fixing problems IF you complain, and then they still fob you off. It is only a matter of time before someone is killed. While a main dealer, is meant to inspire confidence, at a premium cost, the service you receive is not. There are good dealers, but I think the independant, that you strike up a relationship with, will ensure you arrive home in one piece. It is strange that as soon as the cars are out of warranty, the bills presented by the main dealer are huge compared to a few weeks earlier when the car was under warranty. It's all just a farce, and it is putting lives at risk. It is not just Renault, it is brand wide.

Think I'd be asking for a free service or 3 from a Renault dealership of my choosing.