Machine polishing - looking for advice.

Hello!

I am new the machine polishing world but have wanted one now for quite a while. So yesterday I took the plunge...!

170030ed.jpg

Yesterday I washed and dryed the Clio to my usual high standard and commenced testing on an inconspicuous part of the rear quarter. I started by using the black mequiars finishing pad and finishing 205 polish on a speed setting 1 and 2 at first. Some of the light swirling started to disappear.

Next I started again on the same area of light swirling and used the same finishing pad and then the 105 heavier duty mequiars compound and upped the speed to settings 3 and 4. The thing is an animal! The light swirling using this combination is now pretty much gone on my test patch.

As you can see from the photo I have bought mequiars products, the g220 v2, the three different cutting polishing and finishing pads, tape and both the 105 and 205 polishes.

I'm looking for advice on anything I should do when starting out:

- what compound to use
- speed setting
- which pad type

Just anything you can think of that will help me get results.

Thanks!

Last edited:
Alright mate, me and Craig_B started last week. We did a load of research on detailing world... They have everything you need to know. So being an amateur myself I don't really want to give out tips etc... But the things I read up about are what you are already doing. Doing a small part, progressing up the compounds as required. And just take your time.
Also me and Craig bought a bonnet from a scrappy to work on, helped us see how different pads and compounds work.
But in all honesty mate I would spend an hour on detailing world as they have dedicated threads to rotary/da polishing.
Hope this helps
Cheers

No expert but I just started to use a D A as well but like Tom said just take your time when doing it.it took me nearly a week to do my sons car

You're along the right lines. But I would say if finishing pad and 105 is working really quickly then maybe step down to 205 on a polishing pad and see how that works.

always use the least "cut" compound as you can

i would say that you could do with something inbetween those two compounds

be careful on corners and edges of bodywork

Hiya, i do quite a lot of detailing jobs for friends and family and have had a fair bit of practice/experience.
The main things would be, always use the least aggressive compound and pad you can get away with, plus if its a daily driver i wouldnt go over the top with correction as the less paint you remove at a time then the more times you can polish in the future. Its the light swirls which ruin the look of a car more than the other random deeper marks.

paul

always use the least "cut" compound as you can

i would say that you could do with something inbetween those two compounds

be careful on corners and edges of bodywork

This.

The aim is to acheive the best correction (or correction level you're happy with), with the least aggressive combo.

I always think it's better to acheive 90% correction with less cut, than strive to acheive 100% correction but having to step up to a harsher pad / polish combo.

P.s. - Just replaced my DAS6 with a DAS6 pro - looking forward to trying it out:smile:

105 is a BEAST so go easy with it.

I'd learn the ropes with 205 and step up the pad, before using 105, although 105, unlike most compounds, will finish down quite well.

Those larger pads aren't ideal for DA either - get yourself some 5.5" Hex Logic pads, which will be more effective and nicer to work with.

get yourself some 5.5" Hex Logic pads, which will be more effective and nicer to work with.

Agreed, these are great pads but do be careful on really curvy parts of the bodywork as the pattern on the pads can snag the paint and start to lift it off. Not had that problem with any others pads.

Agreed, these are great pads but do be careful on really curvy parts of the bodywork as the pattern on the pads can snag the paint and start to lift it off. Not had that problem with any others pads.

I'm trying these pads as a replacement to Menzerna pads which seem degrade really quickly - i'll bear that information in mind:thumbup:

Yeah the Menz pads are a waste of time on a DA, they die far too quickly because of the rotation pattern of a DA polisher.

They work quite well on rotary though, cutting very quickly.

This thread couldn't have come at a better time. The GF just bought me a das6-pro with some menz pads and polish, can't wait to have a play. Not allowed it till my birthday though :worried:.

Gonna play around on my van first though, its a '08 fiesta sport van. Anyone know how different the paint on that and the clio are? Harder? Softer?

Ford paint is a bit softer than Renault Paint.

Not sure what the new Menz numbers are, but an orange polishing pad and 203S should be fine for Ford paint.

Your Deep Black will probably need 3.02 (or whatever it's called now, lol!)

Happy days, ive got three pads (white, orange,yellow) and 3.02 and some final finish so I'll have a play around. Cheers Russ :smile:

Thank you for all the advice guys! I'm glad I didn't do too much with the 105 now!

Like you all said starting on a gentle combo does seem to be the best idea.

Tomorrow in light of the advice here and now I will be using some 205 compound and the polishing pad this time round and i will try and get round the hole car! Good job I bought some of the 3m tape i think!

Once again thanks for all the advice!

Will get the results Posted up soon!

Similar Thread Suggestions

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
-kev- Gallery 0
jimpy9 Detailing 2
luke3 Detailing 3
Gromb200 Detailing 13
M Detailing 8