LY200 - too loud or blow up again, taking bets!

Oh and also with the OEM ECU, there is something to do with the trim tables being applied globally, I'm not clued up enough with OEM to be 100% accurate - though I might speak to RST about it though.
But I think it is why over the 6 months of use I lost again so much power, what I assume is the trims done by the ECU in part throttle (to compensate for the unstable MAP signal) have obvioulsy been quite significant and when applied globally.... hence the power loss. For milder setups I doubt much if any trimming occurs because the mapping is probably much more consistent and on point against the MAP signals... though I would be keen to see someone go back and compare a mapped cammed car after 6months, a year.

I am very much thinking about burning the OEM ECU for a YouTube vid!! :wink:

Back from another long ass day (8+ hours round trip!)

Quick verdict is the car is basically a bit crazy now! The throttle response is insane, makes you realise how gimpy the OEM setup is. The car pulls so well now and without the flat spot (again caused by the OEM crap) means it's very tractable. I know the peak isn't super high, but I'm almost sold on this torque stuff, almost - never completely :wink:

Best news is the exhaust now makes gun shot cracks! I would literally have paid the money for this aspect alone! Saw a Nimbus 197 on the M25 so had a bit of a show off moment... he seemed to like it! :lol:

Bad news is the fuel gauge isn't working, so will ring up tomorrow. Hopefully an easy fix but I hope to god I don't have to drive there again!

Excellent. I agree the throttle is so removed from your foot it's untrue. I think Renault spent all the money on the suspension and brakes and cut corners with lots of other stuff!!

The OEM ECU is very good at doing what it does to make a smooth driveable car (when stock) and work in all sorts of climates (temp and elevation etc) yet still passing strict emission laws.

Well yes, if you exclude the atrocious throttle response, flat spots, kangaroo etc that also come with it:smile:

Glad your pleased mate! Hope that fuel gauge is an easy fix, you could run without it and just work out approx mpg figures with how many miles youve done to give you a rough idea, but gues you want it like factory..

Well yes, if you exclude the atrocious throttle response, flat spots, kangaroo etc that also come with it:smile:

haha yeah true enough!! Flat spot is deliberate though, will be some ****ty thing to bring down emissions or improve mpg in that range.

Glad your pleased mate! Hope that fuel gauge is an easy fix, you could run without it and just work out approx mpg figures with how many miles youve done to give you a rough idea, but gues you want it like factory..

Yeah gotta have the fuel gauge working, otherwise I will run out! Not bothered about the mpg and distance to empty thing, just need the level to work. I'll brim the car tomorrow morning so I can work out what it got on the way back down, suspect it'll be shocking mind as I spent much of the journey deliberate making gun shots out the exhaust!! such a child at heart!!

Had a quick catch up on the thread and your progress/plans look mental, I can't wait to see the figures + build when you go for ITB's.
Out of interest, if you're using SRR were have you had the car mapped?

SRR I've just used as an independent benchmark. Not sure who locally to Bracknell there is for OEM stuff. Shoot west to Dan Potter at SJM (glastonbury), or make the pilgrimage up north to RST. Could go to Ktec, but I was put off by the horror stories of lean mapped meg's blowing up! tough call tbh.

SRR I've just used as an independent benchmark. Not sure who locally to Bracknell there is for OEM stuff. Shoot west to Dan Potter at SJM (glastonbury), or make the pilgrimage up north to RST. Could go to Ktec, but I was put off by the horror stories of lean mapped meg's blowing up! tough call tbh.
Yea those where my 2 options just wondered if there was anything else seeing as you're bournemouth way. I think it'll just have to be the trip to RST.
Hows the R3 Manifold? Worth it over standard?

That's the trouble with OEM ECU tuning in that the choices are limited. Though RST if I remember has an agent fairly close, it's not on their new website so give them a call. I think it was in Wiltshire though I don't think they had an RR.

R3 not worth it at all really, though it'll come into it's own later on (heard 230+ is the point you need one) but for basic cam jobs etc just stick with standard and when your flexis go I would get the ktec now they have moved to a flexi in an accessible place. I was expecting great things from it but sadly not really the case (yet).

Mega project, looking forward to seeing where this ends up.
Personally I couldn't spend that much on the clio for what are seemingly such little gains, but then again I jazzed £k's away on a saxo so what do I know :lol:

Have you seen the ly Clio on fb from greece? He managed to rev it to 8700rpm, power is over 250hp, 220 at the wheels. Fully built engine, custum cams, V6 airbox, R3 manifold and Oreca single Exit exhaust.

Nice sounds sweet! If I ever need reminding of why NA rocks I watch some Berg Cup vids, this E30 is just incredible sounding, you could never get close with something blown. Every time I watch it I end up thinking f'it I'll get solid lifters and just go crazy!

https://youtu.be/dCjQnuYHydI

rs200_vienna: surely you have to provide a link or it's a ban?

That N/A sound is hard to beat. Using you guys as inspiration for what to do with my 197...

Got the fuel gauge and trip info all fully working now, swapped ECU's over to the new one they sent me with new CAN coding for it.

IMG_0013-300x225.jpg
IMG_0014-300x225.jpg
IMG_0016-300x225.jpg
IMG_0018-300x225.jpg

Bigger pics and little write up here

Nice write up even though I didn't understand a word, all Greek to me and all that.

I did like your new target though, lovely figures. When do you reckon we'll see itbs?

Nice write up even though I didn't understand a word, all Greek to me and all that.

I did like your new target though, lovely figures. When do you reckon we'll see itbs?

Not sure, I'm determined not to keep the car out of action for too long and miss the best months for track days and what not. Between the engine, gearbox and ecu I've managed I think 2 days this year :worried:
That's why I bought the spare 200 engine (which I must get delivered actually now) so I could do the top end etc and simple transfer once built.

Also not sure what order to do stuff, it makes sense to do it in 1 hit from a mapping point of view, but I'm very curious to see what each makes. I'm concerned around induction tract lengths (not having enough) so I'd like to be able to quantify the ITB's induvidually first. If I do it all in 1 and my midrange suddenly dropped, would it be cam profile or inlet length related..? Hence the need really to tackle each in isolation. I kinda feel ITB's would make more sense first as I do think there's a bunch more free (downside-less) power to be had ditching the inlet for a correctly scoped ITB setup.

I'm going to follow these up again as LRM turns out are about 1 hour from my brother outside Turin!!!!! Wouldn't have any tract length issues then, but would likley need to go cable throttle and a ton of time off the road fabbing up custom rads etc.
LRM-ITB1.jpg
LRM-ITB2.jpg

Similar Thread Suggestions

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Cliosport-carl Spotted 0
Zeezal Projects/Progress Threads 7
tkoh12 Clios For Sale 0
CL10 PAZ Spotted 0
tkoh12 Spotted 0