LY200 - too loud or blow up again, taking bets!

Just measured my 197 engine and box.

about 88cm wide, 45cm from front to back and 74cm high. I think the k20 wil fit!

Cheers mate :smile:

So yeah taller and deeper as suspected. Depth could mean ITB's from day 1!! Height - is that F4R measurement with inlet on top because as that must add a fair bit of height to the Renault setup.

Yeah that includes the inlet mate, the k20 is bigger front to back but it's also tilted backwards more than an f4r so should have more room for the inlet

Cool, would help if I could read , the K20 is not as tall as the F4R with inlet (I muddled them up when I looked earlier!). Like you say tilted about 15deg on factory installs so should be "easy"! :smiley: :smiley:

I have had 2 k20 and this engine is very boostable and very reliable , much better than the F4R everywhere. I 've always said that the perfect car is a Clio 197 + k20 .

Congratulations on the project. a greeting

Thanks but there will be no boost near this! :wink:

Checked out the engine and box today, looks doable. The Honda box is tiny which whould afford some more room, also mounts in a similar fashion.
IMAG0610-750x410.jpg

Should be taking the old engine out in a couple of weeks and then the fun will start :evil:

just saw this on Facebook, looks to be a good project. Ive got an FN2 at the moment running 264bhp, if you have any questions just shout :smile:

just saw this on Facebook, looks to be a good project. Ive got an FN2 at the moment running 264bhp, if you have any questions just shout :smile:

Nice, what mods to hit that? I'm keeping it simple to start but just looking at the little bits that are good to do whilst it's out that'll save a bunch of labour later on.

The Honda engine has a mount front and back too, you might be able to utilise both

Thanks, yes I've been looking at mounts yesterday. Do you know if the front mount and rear torque link attach to the block or gearbox? I can't tell from the images I've seen?

So this is going to happen, I'm watching this project! Keep the faith.

Yes, couple of weeks and the F4R is coming out. We'll hoist the motor up and attach the box and see what we're dealing with. But the box is pretty tiny so will help and I'm hoping we can therefore improve on the Renault weight distribution as the engine could end up more centralised,,,,,maybe! :smile:

Still waiting to get booked in.
Currently a bit sick of the sight of the car really because it's soooo much £ sat there ****ed doing nothing :\

It better be special with the Honda lump, I can see why people sell projects now. You loose so much interest and heart waiting and if it doesn't live up then you'll just have resentment. Fortunately I think a K20 in this car will be nuts, but if not :'(

Still it sounds like a Subaru now on what I presume much be 3 cylinders lmao

[video=youtube_share;dwIn9rR4s0g]http://youtu.be/dwIn9rR4s0g[/video]

[video=youtube_share;lMuG0kHWyb0]http://youtu.be/lMuG0kHWyb0[/video]

Ah dear me, that engine has to come out!

Who is going to do the job Rich? Trusted garage I take it?

Totally agree with what you say about projects mate, before you know it you struggle to remember when it was the last time you drove the bloody thing. But i'm sure the final result will be nuts, if you get bored I'll be the first to buy it of you and sell my R27 haha!

Last edited:
Yeah it will be going to Tech 1 and I am fully confident Paul will do great work as always. Just I'd initially expected 2-3 weeks after the engine arrived we'd be knee deep in engine mounts and probably actually be finished by now.

Just getting annoyed because the car spent almost all of last year not being track ready for one reason or another, so I went in to this winter thinking great I can get a dozen track days this year and some trick suspension if I feel like it.
Now it's looking again like F.A track action :worried:

Still if it goes in to the shop next week, I would hope for end of May to be fully installed and possibly just waiting on custom exhaust manifold and mapping as they'll be done elsewhere and I can't book those yet until it's at least physically installed and wired etc.
I can get a base map for the K20Z4 on DBW already on my ECU so mapping won't be a long affair anyway.

I've got a plan b which involves ITB's on an F4R - essentially as the engine is now but back on stock pistons. Either way I want a car asap which is why if it doesn't get in the shop in the next couple of weeks I'll abandon the Honda option.

Don't abandon the Honda idea!!! It sounds like the most fantastic combination! It's easy for me to say that when it's not my time and money invested but I can honestly say I would love to see the K20 conversion a reality. Best of luck with whatever option you go for but I will be rooting for the contender from the land of the rising sun!

itb's I hear on f4r? I was under the impression that you wouldn't be able to put stock pistons in your engine because you would have to bore it? I might have got that wrong I guess..

I'd love to see this project going on with the k20 though I have to say, but I totally get you. I'd want my car to be on the road asap.

Irrelevant question, what is happening to your odyssey battery after so long because I know that you shouldn't allow them running totally flat? Do you have it on charge I take it?

Yeah I'd need another F4R, then transfer the rods or keep the bottom end stock with only ARP bolts (just not sure how much work to swap rods would be with respect to bearings etc).
I would transfer my head as it has: cams, springs, valves. - But would need to blue the engine to check valve clearances. So if I needed to rebate the pistons then the rod swap would def happen. I might (almost def!) send the head of to ALD for porting first.
Then of course ITB's with a Jenvey DBW module - almost plug and play this route and I think I'd do it myself in thems of remove and refit engine. Also do the ITB stuff myself as I've done ITB conversions before. It's almost warm outside which is why I gave up DIY'ing pretty much, without a warm garage it's properly **** working on cars mostly.

I'd rather see the K20 through though of course, but it gets to a point where I have to draw a line and say enough is enough. I can't wait forever. I'm thinking if it's not gone in by this weekend then I'll pull the plug and maybe sell the K20. I did think I'd keep it regardless but I spent £2300 on the engine and box (with loom, shafts, gear cables, aircon, alt etc) - I think it was 29k on the engine and 21k on the box - so I'm sure I'd get £2000 back as a package and that would pay for nearly everything I need staying Renault.

Battery has been spot on and not on charge, very glad I went for the PC950 over the PC680 because of the reserve power it offered. I take the car out once a week on the supermarket run for exactly that reason though to keep the car turned over, juice it up a bit and generally moving a little. The looks I get are nuts, mostly disbelief because it honestly sounds incredible at the moment, throbby and wobbly exactly like a Scoob lmao!!

The most annoying thing about all of this though...........I sold a 25k 200 engine that I paid only £500 for about 3 weeks before this one died!!!! If I'd still have had that then problem solved!
I sold it for £800 but I don't think I'd even get another one as good for that amount :worried:

No other garage that could take that job on then? Please dont back out it will be so many levels of awesome if its done!

Similar Thread Suggestions

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Cliosport-carl Spotted 0
Zeezal Projects/Progress Threads 7
tkoh12 Clios For Sale 0
CL10 PAZ Spotted 0
tkoh12 Spotted 0