Lowering standard clio chassis

Hi, I have clio without the cup chassis, at the moment my car is really high as standard, however im going for a more rallied feel as I like being able to air my car lol, ok so basically.. what are the options?

-do the cup chassis use the exact same suspension just with the shorter stiffer springs?

- what springs can you get away with on the standard suspension.?

-also anybody know what they use on the clio R3 access cars?

cheers :biggrin:

Cup chassis has firmer dampers and stiffer springs.

Any and all 197 aftermarket springs will be fine, but dont lower massively, you need coilovers for that.

try renault-sport.com for info on the r3

Cup chassis has firmer dampers and stiffer springs.

Any and all 197 aftermarket springs will be fine, but dont lower massively, you need coilovers for that.

try renault-sport.com for info on the r3

I thought that putting lowering springs on the Cup chassis was a step backwards in terms of handling and ride comfort.

I think, if your gonna lower it, do it properly and get a set of coilovers.

The cup suspension is exactly how Stu described it.

Be prepared to pay close to what you payed for your car for the R3 suspension :lol: It's Ohlins and is extremely expensive per corner, not to mention the extra changes you need to make to the road car to get it to fit.

I'd keep an eye out for Cup suspension coming up for sale soon :wink: and if you want to lower that the Eibach spring kit is better suited to it than the H&R.

Last edited:
I dont really want the hassle of coilovers, as they never end up being set up properly its like a full time job.
I thought that the R3 Access had rules that you could only use standard application suspension and that only the maxi had coilovers.
How much lower is the cup chassis than the standard, and if so yes I may be interested in your suspension mark!!

The cup chassis is only 7mm lower which isnt really noticeable IMO. Ive got it and I still want the car lower. But it handles like a dream!!!

With the springs its down to your own preference really Eibach are supposed to be the best and lower by 20/25mm and H&R lower by 35/40mm and are a close second, the H&R looks amazing to me especially teamed with some spacers.

Im considering getting some H&R but after hearing that it can upset the handling I would need to hear from people that have had experience.

Like F1 said 7mm lower but the dampers are also 15% stiffer and the springs are 30% over the standard 197 iirc.

i went in kevo66 cup with 40mm H&R and i didnt fink it was that bad as people were making out, defo stiffer than my standard shock with H&R but not that bad, couldnt state that it affected the handlingn or not , but general use.

its alot better than standard, less roll on bends, and still soft over bumps.

its alot better than standard, less roll on bends, and still soft over bumps.

Did you have cup or non-cup before hand? I can see that putting lower springs on the stiffer dampers of the cup chassis would be a problem - I just dont want to do it and find out that it is lol!

Mates, i need your help!

Can't take off the front shock from a knuckle, need a How to tutorial :worried:

Changes the rear ones - rather hard :tongueout:

mine were no cup, still felt like standard but lower, went in kevs it was alot stiffer but me personally thought it wasnt any different from from KW1, but like i say couldnt vouch on cup/H&R lowering handling

i have the cup suspension on mine, an lowered on the H&R springs with some 18inch oz ultraleggras an the stance in my opinion is spot on, apart from the rears could maybe use a 5mm spacer jus to get em sittin out that lil bit further.

the ride is firm, an bumps come thru the car hard but handling is supreb really, easily as good as some previous cars ive had on coilies (ruling out the mk1 golf tho lol)

wana buy my cup suspension? im getting KW coilis next week so ill have no reason to keep the cup stuff PM me