Losing Coolant

Rogue

Platinum Member
Seem to be going through a vast amount of coolant at the moment and I can't work out why. It seem to have started when I changed the thermostat over. I thought it was a leaky housing, so I sealed it up and it's all dry after running so that's not the issue.

Just had full service and Cambelt change and there was no mention of water leaking around the water pump or any sludge in the oil, so hopefully can rule out a faulty head gasket.

I had a feel around the engine bay whilst the car was running and all pipes feel intact and I can't feel any leaks, however I did spot some coolant on the back of the block under the top bleed valve (to the heater matrix?)

Any ideas? Car goes into the garage again tomorrow and they did spot it was when it was in last week but said I had a drip from the housing but I can't find anything.

Any ideas?

F4R head gasket failures are extremely uncommon. I personally would have done the water pump at same time as cambelts but there go, you can assume its okay.

Also check the interior foot wells for dampness could be a heater matrix issue, have you checked radiator too? Puddled coolant or dry pink staining on top of the gearbox is common if work has been done recently, it pools from the heater bleed valve above it and stays there for quite some time.

Water pump was only changed last year, I've had my belts done two years on the trot so I didn't bother getting it done again.

I've not checks the rad, but the footwells are bone dry.

Last thing I need is a heater matrix going!

Any reputable garage should hav the equipment and knowledge to perform a pressure test on the coolant system. Best way to check for leaks.

Yeah he said he pressure tested it and it came from the Housing. But it's still leaking since i've sealed it up.

I'll get them to do it again, off to Germany tomorrow, t'is all I need!

Lol just keep topping it up, I've had cars that leaked for years and just topped up a cup full once a week :tongueout: easy peasy.

He pressure tested it again today and said it was at max pressure and I'm not losing anything. So whatever I did around the thermostat has worked...

Said that the coolant I have lost was probably just down to an airlock and should have now cleared.

Im taking 5litres with me so I'll just keep my eye on it...