Lightened Flywheel

why not? what are the benefits we will be missing if we use OEM clutch?

Benefits of not paying to drop the gearbox twice when the clutch needs changing+ the benefits of a better clutch are endless

Supposedly a lighter flywheel can put more stress on the synchro mesh's in the gearbox, anyone know if that's true?

Woody did you find the paddle clutch a bit on/off? compared to OEM.

This is all speculative as my clutch seems ok at the moment.....

Standard clutch is very good out the box, and by far the cheapest replacement even from renault. Mine coped for a very long time with drag racing launches with sticky r888s and nitrous throwing an extra 75lb/ft+ through it. It did eventually go weak and lose bite lol.

Uprated clutch, even the organic, has a much harsher take up on it and with the 197s stupid fly by throttle setup makes smooth driving an art. Paddle clutch would have been impossible IMO.

Lightweight flywheel is only noticable when changing gears when it seems to drop less rpm and generally engage drive smoother when pushing on. Doesnt rev any quicker.

Ben.

How much life did you get out of yours ben?

Well my cars on 12,000 miles now lol, whoops.

But i only use my car on the weekend which means its never seen an easy drive, every mile has been enthusiastic :wink:

It was changed at 11,000 BUT it did have a massively hard life, how my box is still alive i dont know!

the lighter flywheel will make the engine drop revs quicker between shifts and the engine response to rev better

as for gearbox life....hard to say given the tl4 isnt that robust

Well my cars on 12,000 miles now lol, whoops.

But i only use my car on the weekend which means its never seen an easy drive, every mile has been enthusiastic :wink:

It was changed at 11,000 BUT it did have a massively hard life, how my box is still alive i dont know!

Heh well thing is mine had a relatively easy life for the first 12k miles, it's done 4 track days in the last 4k miles and while I'm careful in terms of matching rev and rarely drag the clutch changing down it's maybe just not up to the job for much longer......

I have to use it daily at the moment as well all be it only driving 8 miles, hopefully to change in the near future.

I've seen a 197 on 87,000miles with original clutch and it still progresses and bites beautifully, and he drives like a tit.

Lightweight flywheel is only noticable when changing gears when it seems to drop less rpm and generally engage drive smoother when pushing on. Doesnt rev any quicker.

Ben.

IMHO, with lighter flywheel the rpm should drop quicker when changing gears and the car should rev quicker.

I didn't feel any of it.

Just felt it needed less throttle/clutch while starting the car uphill. :smile:

As did i think the reduced momentum would slow the engine quicker to idle, but IMHO i think the revs drop less between gearchanges, perhaps the new flywheel was fitted in front of the original lol.

Its a shame because the difference between OEM and lightweight is quite substantial but it doesnt seem to produce relevent gains.

As did i think the reduced momentum would slow the engine quicker to idle, but IMHO i think the revs drop less between gearchanges, perhaps the new flywheel was fitted in front of the original lol.

Its a shame because the difference between OEM and lightweight is quite substantial but it doesnt seem to produce relevent gains.

Sad but true. :smile:

How much does the OEM flywheel weigh?

Uh...that's a HUGE difference!

This difference should be noticable like you wrote before...

With my installation its worth noting that the Quaife diff is substantially heavier than the standard diff so my rotational mass within the drivetrain has probaly cancelled itself out with regards to flywheel and diff.

still doesnt blip any quicker on the revs :worried:

The diff is rotating at a fraction of the speed though.

You might find the reason it doesn't blip any faster is because of the throttle mapping with it being DBW, but it should still liven the car up in the lower gears.

Perhaps because i fitted so much at once i was too distracted by the other mods to notice its benefits...

That mani decat is too loud to ignore though :wink:

IMHO, with lighter flywheel the rpm should drop quicker when changing gears and the car should rev quicker.

I didn't feel any of it.

Just felt it needed less throttle/clutch while starting the car uphill. :smile:

The car used to not lose as much speed when off the gas coasting I found what you think?

My fly was only lightened oe so I don't know how much it weighed