Life

Look guys my young life was S### my stepfather thought I was a punch bag.I made a choice when I was stronger no one would ever dictate what I could do and not do in my life.I work hard so I can enjoy my life with Diane my realise is ??? a few times a year.Iam 56 and will never lay down to anybody or anything

Well said Kev.

Im struggling to fill in the gap :smile:

I lived in country for ten years, got bored having nothing but grasshoppers to talk to

I hear yer.

But (And i quote Micah) "Roads are too congested to have fun anymore, people are increasingly rude, violence and crime on the up"......all this coupled with the chaos, pace of life, lack of freedom and open space, endless chimney pots, people with no time for anyone but themselves etc etc: all bourne from living / working in the big smog - would drive me effin barmy. More so than the 'problems' of living semi out in the sticks. For me anyway.

Too easy to get stuck in a rut and let life pass you by. Most people don't realise they've been alive until they are dead. If your that unhappy - change something. Hell; change everything. Etc etc.....

*12 years ago i walked from a well-paid job with 3 young kids and a mortgage and less than a months savings in the bank i was that unhappy. With no view of the future. Just a utter hate of the then present and a job that was eating me up.

We arent getting off this Planet alive. And i choose to somewhat not trade the thrills of living for the security of existence. Life is ultimately about experiences, family and quality of life. Whatever that means for you.

Currently i read that from your post - as being stuck in a rut. Take some night classes in something you'd never have considered. Meet new people in the process. Sign up for something completely random. Go out for a meal somewhere completely off the chart; Be spontaneous and open to suggestion.....because without being rude if its you seeing everything around you as an 'issue' it might just be you that needs to change if your gonna embrace life and enjoy it.....

Meant to be helpful believe it or not. So why do i feel like some new-fangled life-guru thrusting myself down your throat ? :smile:

Reactions: Jimmy
Well said Kev.

Im struggling to fill in the gap :smile:

I hear yer.

But (And i quote Micah) "Roads are too congested to have fun anymore, people are increasingly rude, violence and crime on the up"......all this coupled with the chaos, pace of life, lack of freedom and open space, endless chimney pots, people with no time for anyone but themselves etc etc: all bourne from living / working in the big smog - would drive me effin barmy. More so than the 'problems' of living semi out in the sticks. For me anyway.

Too easy to get stuck in a rut and let life pass you by. Most people don't realise they've been alive until they are dead. If your that unhappy - change something. Hell; change everything. Etc etc.....

*12 years ago i walked from a well-paid job with 3 young kids and a mortgage and less than a months savings in the bank i was that unhappy. With no view of the future. Just a utter hate of the then present and a job that was eating me up.

We arent getting off this Planet alive. And i choose not to somewhat trade the thrills of living for the security of existence. Life is ultimately about experiences, family and quality of life. Whatever that means for you.

Currently i read that from your post - as being stuck in a rut. Take some night classes in something you'd never have considered. Meet new people in the process. Sign up for something completely random. Go out for a meal somewhere completely off the chart; Be spontaneous and open to suggestion.....because without being rude if its you seeing everything around you as an 'issue' it might just be you that needs to change if your gonna embrace life and enjoy it.....

Meant to be helpful believe it or not. So why do i feel like some new-fangled life-guru thrusting myself down your throat ? :smile:
No I'm not in a rut. I do work long hours sometimes but I do actually do a lot of new things when I can. I love having time with the kids, my three year old is an absolute shining light whenever things get dull. I guess I never considered how brow beaten I could feel even though I mostly follow the same rules as other people do.
We live in a world where bent politicians tell us what's right and wrong, we are very close to a big brother society, where you slog your guts out to retire to be told the banks have no money, your savings are worth shit and there is one rule for people willing to work and one for the sponge society.
Looking forward to santa pod tho.lol

Reactions: sevenfourate
No I'm not in a rut. I do work long hours sometimes but I do actually do a lot of new things when I can. I love having time with the kids, my three year old is an absolute shining light whenever things get dull. I guess I never considered how brow beaten I could feel even though I mostly follow the same rules as other people do.
We live in a world where bent politicians tell us what's right and wrong, we are very close to a big brother society, where you slog your guts out to retire to be told the banks have no money, your savings are worth shit and there is one rule for people willing to work and one for the sponge society.
Looking forward to santa pod tho.lol

ME TOO buddy ! :smile:

All i can say is; life is a game. And you have to play to your advantage.

And the spongers would kill to be you i promise. Most of them actually probably would......

ME TOO buddy ! :smile:

All i can say is; life is a game. And you have to play to your advantage.

And the spongers would kill to be you i promise. Most of them actually probably would......
Haha they probably would. I guess as you get older you think about things you take for granted when young

Good thread this, sometimes I think part of the issue is people DON'T think about things and Don't ask questions about their life.

5 Years I worked for a good company my boss was great, he sold the company and from day 1 it was down hill he stayed with the company for 4 years and it really was a dreadful place to be ran by middle management who had 0 interest or idea about the industry they really looked after themselves and would lie and cheat to get results they wanted.

My boss eventually left, he actually cared about people who worked for him and although he walked away *very rich* he was so unhappy what it had done to all of us, forward 4 years he started a new business in short some of his work with him now, I walked away from a very unhappy, but stable position at the corporate hell hole - its a massive risk starting with him again, but in life you have to take a risk sometimes, my wifes happier as I dont come home every day complaining about work, im happier and I had to go from a 4 mile commute each way to a 17 mile commute each day im less well off, but that little loss is made up for by working for a genuine good person.

Reactions: Pav and Jimmy
Good thread this, sometimes I think part of the issue is people DON'T think about things and Don't ask questions about their life.

5 Years I worked for a good company my boss was great, he sold the company and from day 1 it was down hill he stayed with the company for 4 years and it really was a dreadful place to be ran by middle management who had 0 interest or idea about the industry they really looked after themselves and would lie and cheat to get results they wanted.

My boss eventually left, he actually cared about people who worked for him and although he walked away *very rich* he was so unhappy what it had done to all of us, forward 4 years he started a new business in short some of his work with him now, I walked away from a very unhappy, but stable position at the corporate hell hole - its a massive risk starting with him again, but in life you have to take a risk sometimes, my wifes happier as I dont come home every day complaining about work, im happier and I had to go from a 4 mile commute each way to a 17 mile commute each day im less well off, but that little loss is made up for by working for a genuine good person.
Good point you bring up. Are people genuinely less nice nowadays or is this how people are forced to be?

I think people are just reacting to the situation they find themselves in, I worked with some truly dreadful people in my last job and they were pushing people to change from caring about customers to this 'corporate' view that customers were lucky if we replied to them...

It just became a joke to us, they were evil, evil people...who would blatantly play people off against each other, make people distrust people...evil.

However we found out what some of our middle management earned my immediate manager earned 2 x what I earned fair enough, but in talking to him on my last day he actually said, he thinks about moving away from the company as he dislikes it, but he would be hard pushed to work somewhere and earn the same money and be able to work from home.

With reference to me working in London, I do have the best of both worlds by living in Kent. Medway isn't great but my parents live in a sleepy village just off the south-east coast and it's nice to pop down there every couple of months or so.
I was unemployed for a year from July 2009 and I managed to make the transition into HR and working in London has definitely enriched my life with the variety of people I have had the pleasure to work with. Working in Kent for over 10 years was like living in a bubble - everyone seemed to be the same.
I've had anxiety and depression in the past and the only way I managed to overcome both was to push myself to gain confidence and keep busy. It's bitter-sweet really - I'm so pleased with what I have achieved since 2010, I just wish I had done more sooner. However, I act like I'm 21 and have still got plenty of time to do things I'm just realising I need to do before I get too old.
The one thing I want to do in this life is see the stars with no light pollution - I'm constantly baffled and in awe of the universe.

I think it's always better to have a positive outlook on things, there are things that annoy everyone from time to time,some you can do something about some you can't, deal with the one you can and forget the others, I used to get pissed at these programmes about people fleecing the system etc and screaming t the tv, not now, only gets ME in a bad mood and nothing changes, just don't watch that stuff anymore :smile:

As long as you have you health that's the main thing, without it you might just re-evaluate if the things that annoy you now are really that big a deal

Ps, it's a scientific fact that people with a positive outlook live 5-7 years longer than those who don't.

What a really good thread, and it's so interesting to read about people's outlook on life, and their past experiences - this thread has really peeled away the layers of some of us folk!

I completely agree that change has to come from within - if we want to alter the path our life is taking, we have to be the ones to do that for ourselves - no one will do it for you, it will never fall into your lap.

I had my own issues too, including depression, and I blamed everything and everyone but myself for why things 'weren't going right' for me. It took a while to wake up to the fact that it was down to ME to get things going in the right direction. It's actually really refreshing and quite empowering to realise that you have more control over your life than you think (to a degree...).

Great thread Steve, thanks for starting it! And thanks to people who have shared their feelings on things - a lot of it is surprisingly personal!

What a really good thread, and it's so interesting to read about people's outlook on life, and their past experiences - this thread has really peeled away the layers of some of us folk!

I completely agree that change has to come from within - if we want to alter the path our life is taking, we have to be the ones to do that for ourselves - no one will do it for you, it will never fall into your lap.

I had my own issues too, including depression, and I blamed everything and everyone but myself for why things 'weren't going right' for me. It took a while to wake up to the fact that it was down to ME to get things going in the right direction. It's actually really refreshing and quite empowering to realise that you have more control over your life than you think (to a degree...).

Great thread Steve, thanks for starting it! And thanks to people who have shared their feelings on things - a lot of it is surprisingly personal!
Thanks Jimmy, to think I only started it because I was bored wAtching Jeremy Kyle on TV !