Lacking bass

Any audio guru's out there?

Upgraded both my headunit and speakers today with a Kenwood KDC BT73DAB which was top of the range and my girlfriend bought me a pair of 300w pioneer speakers for the front and 180w for the rear.

I've played around with the HU settings but I am lacking some deep bass well any real bass. I would have thought these speakers would have been a massive improvement on the original, don't get me wrong they are clear but I am missing some bass. Is it the speakers or the headunit?

Anyway of improving the bass without a big sub in the boot?

Looking to upgrade the the dash tweeters too, any suggestions?

Cheers

What's the output on the stereo? 50w max per channel at a guess. Look at the power of the speakers.............

An amp will be required to take advantage of the better speakers.

You need an amp for them speakers, lucky if your head unit is putting out 50w rms per channel. I'd do it soon too as you can damage the speakers by severely underpowering them.

I was looking at a in phase usw10 300w underseat subwoofer for that spot of bass, will this damage the system at all?

Anyone recommend an amp? Will I need a amp if I get a sub?

Last edited:
Any audio guru's out there?

Upgraded both my headunit and speakers today with a Kenwood KDC BT73DAB which was top of the range and my girlfriend bought me a pair of 300w pioneer speakers for the front and 180w for the rear.

I've played around with the HU settings but I am lacking some deep bass well any real bass. I would have thought these speakers would have been a massive improvement on the original, don't get me wrong they are clear but I am missing some bass. Is it the speakers or the headunit?

Anyway of improving the bass without a big sub in the boot?

Looking to upgrade the the dash tweeters too, any suggestions?

Cheers

I had this same problem on my old 1.4, found that installing a sub added all the bass i needed & more.

I was looking at a in phase usw10 300w underseat subwoofer for that spot of bass, will this damage the system at all?

Anyone recommend an amp? Will I need a amp if I get a sub?

Hello mate,
I'm doing the same as you at the moment, same head unit actually. My plan was to fit an under seat sub but when I measured up none of them would fit due to the Recaro seats. I'm sure you have thought about this but thought I would say. I think I'm going to get an amp and make do. Really don't want a sub in the boot because I want an OEM look with better sound. Did you do anything with the tweeters?

I actually no longer have the car anymore, I was going to get in In Pulse under seat sub with a built in amp which I was recommend by car audio centre. Long story with the dealership damaging the car so I ended up handing it back last week