KW V1 - Slight knocking

Hi guys,

Thought I'd post up as I know quite a few people have fitted KW V1's to their Clio. Basically got mine brand new. Fitted them about a month ago. (old top mount design)

Slight knocking noise is coming\occurring when first pulling away in the car, over the first couple of speed bumps in the estate then it stops. Only seems to be there when the car is going low speed.

Any one had similar issues?

yes!

You need a washer under the N/S topmount nut. I had this and it gets progressively worse

Thanks mate!

Do you recall what size washer?

Is it just one side or both?

Stuck at work away this week so going to take a look Friday night.

Im looking at mine tonight as the height needs adjusting and them setting back to base setting.

Ill have a measure and let you know. Assuming the 197 shaft diameter is the same as the later 200 design.

hope this is the problem with mine and not a ball joint,sounds like it is coming from the top mount and clunking down over.Just started after sunday's blast out and getting progressively worse.Will get it sorted friday with a bit of luck.
If it is the problem think KW will have to know about this as it looks like a handfull of lads with the same problem.

Im looking at mine tonight as the height needs adjusting and them setting back to base setting.

Ill have a measure and let you know. Assuming the 197 shaft diameter is the same as the later 200 design.

thanks mate that would be very helpful!

Wasnt a success.

My top mounts are the new ones. The hole is so small i cant even get a spanner in to undo them let alone measure them.

Well my KW's are coming of and going back to KW for inspection,think it could be a bit of play on the damper.so glad its not a drop link or ball joint no play at all so must be a problem with the V1's

Renault actually did mine :smile:
they just said it was one on ethe top mount bolts wouldn't torque up properly, so put washers user it and it torqued up :smile:
charged me but fixed the problem.

Are all these related to the front dampers? I've had a knocking from the back which also happens at low speed over speed bumps etc and haven't been able to find the source. It's a typical worn top mount knock so I took the top mounts out and there doesn't seem to be any play but this thread is making me think twice

Exhaust mount under the rear of the car (like under the back seats area) I'd put good money on that!

last year I had this and was 100% convinced it was rear shocks in some way. Anyway after lots of ****ing about traced it to the mount. All it needs is the the mount to be realigned centrally. Easy

It will be the centre pin on the shocks, when tightened up the nut tightens up against the end of the thread rather then against the rubber, causing it to sit loose in the mount. Thick washer shorts it out. Was a very common problem with them.

It will be the centre pin on the shocks, when tightened up the nut tightens up against the end of the thread rather then against the rubber, causing it to sit loose in the mount. Thick washer shorts it out. Was a very common problem with them.

Damn Renault and their new top mount design. Can't get the nut off :worried:

Managed to get a washer under te nut. Can see where the thread isn't long enough to torque down..

still knocking though *sigh*

i give in. Mark fish can investigate.

Managed to get a washer under te nut. Can see where the thread isn't long enough to torque down..

still knocking though *sigh*

i give in. Mark fish can investigate.

Let me Know why it was still knocking:001_unsure:mine is going to Revolution on wed to try and sort it.

Just stuck a washer under the top nut on my rear shocks. No luck....
Had a wiggle of the exhaust backbox too and didn't hear any knocking there. The most likely suspect is now the trim around the rear window, wiggling this makes exactly the same knocking sound..... strange