KTR exhaust & remap!

Hi! I had the K-Tec Racing cat back exhaust fitted last week and the Stage 1 tuning remap applied and a 12,000 mile service (including new plugs) at the same time! :bounce1:

My car showed good gains on the KTR Dyno; the initial peak flywheel power was 177.5 bhp which increased to 188.9 bhp! Perhaps more impressive was the ~ 15% increase in torque and a marked flattening of the torque curve! My car was quick last week...now it is lethal! :tongueout:roud:

The exhaust is quite a bit noisier than I expected! The note is deep and very throaty - I love the pops and bangs as I change up through the gears. It is a real head-turner!! Cruising is OK - perhaps not as quiet as I would like - but the 3500 rpm boom is still very much in existence! 70 mph in 6th is just unbearable!!! :001_rolleyes:

So, the overall verdict is very positive. Another excellent experience at K-Tec Racing and I will be back again soon. I am hoping for a front splitter, side skirts, cup spoiler and.... This could get very expensive!?!

Thanks guys! :smile:

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes...it is really overpowering between 68 and 70 mph in 6th! It was like it with the standard exhaust but the mods have made it much more obvious!

ahhhhhh what about when u get past 3k cus i remember the engine acoustics used to change alot there.

The weird thing is that it all quietens down if you speed up to 72 mph and if anything it becomes quieter than standard! At 80 mph (!) you can really hear the engine and induction noise which is quite appealing! :smile:

If anyone is any doubt then get down to K-Tec Racing. I cannot recommend them highly enough! :tongueout:roud:

I saw an onboard video on YouTube of a ktr system and although it sound awesome, it seems mega loud on the inside! My mate has a ktr system on his 172, when your in the car you can't hear anything that's said, it really is unbearable!!

Mate, it sounds awesome from the outside! Really raspy, pops and gargles all the time! I'm thinking of selling my miltek and buying a ktr for mine. Do you have a final price for one yet?

They should be gouldy sounds like a poorley 1 to only have 177 u sure that's not a wheel figure?

Not at all...the figures were good for a 197 apparently and it definitely says power at the flywheel on the Dyno print out! The moral of the story - never believe everything that a manufacturer writes in a sales brochure!!!

My car flies now - and I thought it was quick before!! And yes, the exhaust pops and gurgles all the while - even if you ease off on the motorway!

I used to hate the way the standard exhaust droned at around 3300-3500rpm and quite often drove in 5th gear instead of 6th just to get rid of it!

I think I'll probably get an aftermarket exhaust for mine eventually, but I'd be put off by anything overly loud as I've had a few droney exhausts in the past.

This is interesting......

I have this week off to do some car bits if i want to. Currently Ktec are offering the map and filter for just under £250 all in. Would pay abit more and go for the ITG filter instead of the Ktec one though.

My R27 is currently standard and i am not interested in getting a new exhaust in the future. With this in mind would it be worth the trip to get the extra horses and torques out of the engine? And as i understand it.....iron out that dreaded flat spot???

My car had a very obvious flat spot at about 3000 rpm and was starting to kangaroo when cold. :jumpon:

The torque curve showed a peak at just under 3000 rpm which has gone and incredibly the torque curve is much flatter now with none of the peaks and troughs that it did have. :bat:

So in summary, I have the ITG panel filter (now 6 months old), the K-Tec Racing Stage 1 remap and the K-Tec Racing cat-back exhaust and I am amazed at how much quicker and more progressive my car feels now! :smiley:

I am too old for such nonsense and the car turns heads now but - hey! - you only live once and my drive along the A4 to work is otherwise so dull and uneventful! :book:

Not at all...the figures were good for a 197 apparently and it definitely says power at the flywheel on the Dyno print out! The moral of the story - never believe everything that a manufacturer writes in a sales brochure!!!

My car flies now - and I thought it was quick before!! And yes, the exhaust pops and gurgles all the while - even if you ease off on the motorway!

using an assumed transmission loss of 15% (rough i know)

would mean your car is; 177@ fly = 150.45hp @ wheels.

that sounds very poorly indeed.